Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 6/18/2018 5:55:31 PM(EST)
McMurr's

United States

Purchased a box of the 2.5" Gold Foil Labels. Have purchased from you guys for years and have not had a problem with any labels and this machine - glossy, clear, weatherproof. The top three print, the next row prints 1/2 and faint on the bottom, the bottom row prints faded (but nothing rubs off). Any advise is appreciated.
#2 Posted : 6/19/2018 10:32:52 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issue and I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can. I was able to locate the manual and the accepted media list for the Xerox C70 online. It looks like Xerox recommends a wide range of materials ranging from matte and gloss paper materials to plastic film materials, but they do not list any type of metallic or foil coated materials in their accepted materials document. This could mean there's a compatibility issue with the gold foil material and this specific printer model - we've found that to be the case with certain large digital presses.

There are some trouble shooting tips referenced in the manual you can try that may improve the print quality.

- Try printing the labels from the Bypass Tray (Tray 5). This should simplify the feed path through the printer and could potentially improve the print results.
- Regardless of which tray you're using, make sure to remove all other paper or labels from the tray before loading the gold foil label material.
- Load only the amount of gold foil material you plan to use and keep the rest of the material sealed in the original clamshell packaging. If the excess material is left in the tray it could potentially result in the material curling to some extent, which could negatively impact the print quality.
- Try experimenting with some of the advanced material type options in the printer settings. You may want to try options such as Labels, Heavyweight Labels, Heavyweight 4, Coated 3, X-HW Labels, and Transparency.

If you've already tried the tips listed above and are still experiencing issues then it may be a compatibility issue with the gold foil label material and this specific digital printing press. If that's the case and you have access to a desktop laser printer the label material should work well in the smaller, desktop unit.

If you find you're unable to use the product we'll be happy to assist you in setting up a return. You can initiate a product return by visiting the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/return.htm

If you need any additional assistance please just let us know. You can reach our customer service department directly at 1-888-575-2235, or you can submit a support ticket below:

https://secure.onlinelab...port/SupportRequest.aspx
#3 Posted : 6/19/2018 3:10:31 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

I just had an opportunity to chat with someone that's been able to achieve great results using our gold foil laser material in a Xerox Versant 80 digital printing press. They told me that more than anything the paper weight setting was the key to improving and achieving excellent print quality.

The Xerox Versant 80 has separate settings for material type and paper weight. He said they're getting great results when using the "Uncoated" material type setting but ramping the paper weight setting all the way up to 300-350 gsm.

I'm not sure how the settings available on the Xerox C70 compare to the Xerox Versant 80, but if you do have the ability to choose a material type and paper weight (gsm) independently from one another I would definitely try increasing the paper weight (gsm) to the maximum allowable amount for the Bypass Tray (Tray 5).

If there isn't a separate setting for paper weight (gsm) then that likely means the material type setting is dictating the expected paper weight for the print job. In that event, I would try using one of the heavier material type settings mentioned in my initial post.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional details please just let me know.
#4 Posted : 6/20/2018 2:45:04 PM(EST)
McMurr's

United States

Thanks for all of your research. I really appreciate it. I will try your second option. Had already tried your first advise :-)

Will report back.

-cat
#5 Posted : 7/25/2019 6:23:05 PM(EST)
Luahine

United States

Hi there,
I also have a C70 and am trying to use the OL894SF (silver oval labels). Unfortunately, I've tried all of the solutions mentioned in the thread. Are there any new suggestions for being able to use these labels in the C70?

Thank you for your time and wizardry!
#6 Posted : 7/26/2019 11:36:49 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Luahine -

I'm sorry to hear about the issues that you experienced when attempting to use the silver foil label material with your Xerox C70 press. As I mentioned previously in this thread, certain digital printing presses may have difficulty printing on metallic foil label materials. If you've already tried the suggestions listed above and were unable to improve the printing results then it may simply be a compatibility issue with your specific press. Unfortunately, beyond adjusting the paper type and/or the paper weight within the printer settings, there aren't any other adjustments to make that are likely to improve the print results.

If you have access to a desktop laser printer model you should experience excellent printing results there. If you decide you are unable to use the labels please contact our customer service department. They'll be more than happy to assist in setting up a return and refund for you.
#7 Posted : 9/3/2019 9:44:53 PM(EST)
Luahine

United States

Thank you for the reply. Due to my insane tenacity, I was finally able to determine that the only silver labels I could print on the C70 are the weatherproof for laser. Standard silver labels did not work.
To note, I did have to change the materials settings to Coated 1A 106-128 gsm. They also seemed to print better as a SEF (short edge feed). The LEF setting creased the material. Thankfully we only lost three sheets of material before figuring out the fix.

Best luck to all!
#8 Posted : 9/5/2019 10:11:46 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: Luahine Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for the reply. Due to my insane tenacity, I was finally able to determine that the only silver labels I could print on the C70 are the weatherproof for laser. Standard silver labels did not work.
To note, I did have to change the materials settings to Coated 1A 106-128 gsm. They also seemed to print better as a SEF (short edge feed). The LEF setting creased the material. Thankfully we only lost three sheets of material before figuring out the fix.

Best luck to all!

Thank you so much for following up! This is very good information that I'm sure others will find useful as well.

If you need a few sample sheets to replace the ones you lost please just let me know. I'll be happy to have them sent out for you this afternoon.

Thanks again for your feedback!