Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 10/15/2019 4:00:25 PM(EST)
diggity

United States

Hi - we are a small winery, but we've been spending big bucks on custom labels. I'm very interested in using onlinelabels.com and printing my own. I have ordered some samples and I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival. In the meantime, I have to buy a printer. I'm gravitating toward a color laser printer because I know that in general laser printers are less trouble than inkjets, but I'm keeping an open mind about inkjets anyway, simply because they are a lot less expensive and the toner is also much cheaper. Anybody have any specific recommendations as to a printer model that you've found to work well? In terms of volume, we will be bottling about 1000 bottles this year and expect to expand to over 1500 next year. So since each bottle has both a front and a back label, that is 2000-3000 labels per year, not all at the same time (a few hundred today, a few hundred in a month or so, that sort of thing). I don't expect to use the printer for anything else beside labels. Any recommendations are appreciated!
#2 Posted : 10/16/2019 4:04:08 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
diggity -

Based on the description of your application I think a color laser printer will likely be your best bet. The upfront cost of a laser printer compared to an inkjet printer is higher, but the print economy for laser printing is actually much better. While inkjet cartridges are technically cheaper, they also need to be replaced much more frequently. You'll get considerably more output out of one set of toner cartridges compared to a single set of inkjet cartridges, to the extent that inkjet printing will almost always be more expensive over time at volume.

In addition to the benefit of better print economy, laser printing is also much more durable when compared directly to inkjet printing. We do offer weatherproof materials for inkjet printing that are perfectly suitable for use as wine bottle labels, but if you have the choice the weatherproof laser materials will provide the most durable possible print quality for your labels.

We've had a ton of success with the HP Color LaserJet Pro series of printers when using our weatherproof polyester material for laser printing. My most frequently used day-to-day printers are the HP Color LaserJet Pro M252 and the HP Color LaserJet Pro M452. I've been using both of these printers for a few years now, so newer models are likely available on the market at this point. I've had the opportunity to use a variety of HP LaserJet printers over the years and have always been pleased with the color output, print quality, and print durability that these printers provide with all of the different material types that we offer.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let me know.
#3 Posted : 11/5/2019 2:14:45 PM(EST)
Royal352

United States

Hi Josh,

Might you know a range of label sheets you would be able to get out of these colored HP laser jets? I am testing between my LaserJet pro and inkjet, but find that many toners only advertise about 900-1200 pages with only 5% coverage. To me, this sounds like printing full sheets of labels will only yield me like 100 pages until I need replacement toner, which won’t be sufficient with toner costs.

Any input would be much appreciated!
Shan
#4 Posted : 11/5/2019 4:57:26 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Royal352 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Josh,

Might you know a range of label sheets you would be able to get out of these colored HP laser jets? I am testing between my LaserJet pro and inkjet, but find that many toners only advertise about 900-1200 pages with only 5% coverage. To me, this sounds like printing full sheets of labels will only yield me like 100 pages until I need replacement toner, which won’t be sufficient with toner costs.

Any input would be much appreciated!
Shan

It's difficult to really nail down a more exact range of finished label sheets beyond the print economy information listed in a printer's user manual. There's just so much variance in design and coverage that could really skew the expected output. In general, laser printers will be more economical compared directly against the average desktop inkjet printer model. Some of the newer inkjet models that feature tanks will likely offer better print economy than cartridge based inkjet printers, but I do believe in most cases that the average laser printer will still provide superior print economy.

Something else to consider would be purchasing custom printed labels directly from us. You can view more information on our custom printing service at the link below:

https://secure.onlinelabels.com/custom-printed-labels/printed-label-quote.aspx

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.