Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 12/2/2013 3:57:52 PM(EST)
Brandon

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Welcome Winemakers to the Winemakers discussion forum! This forum is here to provide you with a friendly environment where you can discuss all aspects of winemaking with your fellow winemakers.

Edited by user Monday, December 2, 2013 4:08:52 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#2 Posted : 4/8/2014 6:42:01 PM(EST)
RJBenfield

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thanks!

Guess I'm the only winemaker here at the moment though.

That's ok, I can carry on a conversation by myself. ;)

#3 Posted : 4/9/2014 10:27:09 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
RJBenfield - This group is definitely quiet . Feel free to ask a question if there is something that you want to discuss.
#4 Posted : 4/9/2014 8:35:02 PM(EST)
RJBenfield

United States

Well, I have nothing right now. My samples just shipped today. I'm so excited! Been talkin' with my graphic designer and the white gloss label will probably be the one that'll work with the current design. Though I might get her working on one that'll work with the clear labels also. I've always liked the way clear labels look on wine bottles.
#5 Posted : 4/10/2014 7:01:51 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

I probably wouldn't recommend printing onto our clear stock if you intend to label a wine bottle. The inks from a laser or inkjet printer are not opaque so the color of the wine will likely make the image and text look muddy.

If you are doing a white wine then it may work, but I would not recommend it at all for a red wine.

When you see wine labels in a retail store with a clear label, it is likely they have been printed using a commercial printing press and the printing company has applied an opaque white ink under the images/text.

The video from Consolidated Label at the link below will show you more details on this process.

http://www.consolidatedlabel.com/videos/white-underprint-clear-labels/

I hope this information helps. Thanks.
#6 Posted : 4/11/2014 10:26:11 PM(EST)
RJBenfield

United States

Thanks!

The sample labels showed up today, and I was staring at the clear ones thinking it wasn't going to work because of the wine behind it, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out why! I see the light now.

Might have to get that new OKI laser printer with the white toner! It actually specifically states clear labels is one of many reasons they made it.

Now on to my left margin issue... I think it's my printers physical margins. Digging into the books now.
#7 Posted : 4/13/2014 8:43:21 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

I haven't had any feedback on the performance of our clear labels in an OKI 711WT Printer (white toner). I checked into that printer and it is pricey ($3500 or so). I watched a quick video and it looks like it would like do a good job.

http://www.okidata.com/procolor/711wt

In regards to margin issues - most laser printers have an unprintable margin on the left / right that is approximately 0.25". This varies by printer.

Let us know if you have any questions.
#8 Posted : 11/30/2015 7:33:47 AM(EST)
Kevin Shea

United States

Looking forward to getting the new labels for my wines.