Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 6/19/2014 8:28:39 PM(EST)
jamjar

United States

After months of going through Epson Ink WEEKLY for printing a few sheets of labels I learned that Epson cannot control the quality of ink sold at Staples.
I use the weatherproof matte for inkjet labels. I print about 20 sheets a week in color and b+w but with very little ink on each sheet.
Should i buy a new printer? I cannot afford to buy ink every week!
Which is best for the labels, laser or inkjet?

Thanks!
#2 Posted : 6/20/2014 6:01:31 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
It is hard to make a recommendation without understanding a little bit more about your label requirements. Can you provide additional details on what you are printing and how you are using the labels? It would also be helpful to understand how many label sheets that you print per week. Are you printing photographic images or is it mostly just text?

Let us know and we can try to make some recommendations.
#3 Posted : 8/4/2014 11:08:08 PM(EST)
Inktagram

United States

please i would like more information about this topic, i print about 100 sheets during the week and is mostly clipart designing labels so what kind of printer do you recommend

i am using ol5375 and ol350wx labels

Edited by user Monday, August 4, 2014 11:09:09 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#4 Posted : 8/5/2014 10:02:22 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Inktagram -

Thank you for your inquiry. My favorite inkjet printer for general purpose printing at the moment is the HP Officejet Pro 8600. I've tested this printer with our standard white matte material and have been very happy with the color output and image definition. Compared to other inkjet printer models, I've also been pleased with how long the ink cartridges seem to last. This may be due to the printer using four cartridges (cyan, magenta, yellow, and black) as opposed to two (black and color) like most comparable inkjet printers. If you should have any other questions please just let me know. I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can.
#5 Posted : 8/12/2014 12:10:54 AM(EST)
needa

United States

i too am trying to buy a better printer. it is just so hard to read reviews and find exactly what you want. i print on ol160wg and my epson xp400 skews the page really bad. i think i will go with the hp you are mentioning.

thank you for the recommendation.
#6 Posted : 8/12/2014 9:25:41 AM(EST)
Chijamman

ATTN: Jamjar - I've had a terrible time printing on my Epson XP-800, in fact I had to switch from waterproof to standard matte labels because the smearing was so severe. Nothing seemed to help. I used to use an HP printer and got great results. Next time, it will be another HP printer for me.
#7 Posted : 8/12/2014 12:56:20 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
My experience with Epson printers has been that they seem to output ink at a greater saturation compared to printer models from other manufacturers. This isn't a problem for most non-weatherproof, paper-based materials. Weatherproof label materials behave differently though - the material is usually a plastic film with a top-coat that is intended to absorb ink and protect it from moisture. If this top-coat becomes over-saturated, some of the ink on the page will remain unprotected and more likely to smear.

If you are using an Epson printer model and have experienced print that is smearing I would try reducing the print quality from Best to Normal, or possibly even from Normal to Draft. This should reduce the ink saturation which will likely result in a more durable print. If your printer model has an option for DPI (dots per inch), then reducing this setting should have the same effect of decreasing the ink output.

If you do wind up looking for a different printer model to use when printing weatherproof labels, I have had a ton of success using HP printer models with both of our weatherproof inkjet materials. The HP Officejet Pro 8600 that I mentioned earlier in this thread is currently my favorite.

I hope this information helps. If you need any additional details please just let me know!