Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 8/12/2014 9:22:29 AM(EST)
Chijamman

Printing quality on my old HP was great using Waterproof Labels for Inkjet (OL330WJ) printers. Now I've got an Epson XP-800 and I can't use the Waterproof labels AT ALL. The ink smears something awful, and I've had to resort to standard matte inkjet labels (OL330WX). It clearly seems to be a difference in printers rather than label quality. Any suggestions from other users?
#2 Posted : 8/12/2014 1:02:29 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
My experience with Epson printers has been that they seem to output ink at a greater saturation compared to printer models from other manufacturers. This isn't a problem for most non-weatherproof, paper-based materials. Weatherproof label materials behave differently though - the material is usually a plastic film with a top-coat that is intended to absorb ink and protect it from moisture. If this top-coat becomes over-saturated, some of the ink on the page will remain unprotected and more likely to smear.

If you are using an Epson printer model and have experienced print that is smearing I would try reducing the print quality from Best to Normal, or possibly even from Normal to Draft. This should reduce the ink saturation which will likely result in a more durable print. If your printer model has an option for DPI (dots per inch), then reducing this setting should have the same effect of decreasing the ink output.

I've had a ton of success using HP printer models too. If you do wind up looking for a different printer model to print weatherproof labels the HP Officejet Pro 8600 is currently my favorite.

I hope this information helps. If you need any additional details please just let me know!
 1 user thanked Josh for this useful post: Chijamman
#3 Posted : 8/18/2014 11:57:56 AM(EST)
Chijamman

Thanks, Josh, for the reply. I've tried changing the print quality. The results were not good. At least you validated my experiences, AND my thoughts about HP. I appreciate your having taken the time to reply.