Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 2/12/2014 3:50:36 PM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

I'm using the "weatherproof Matte for Inkjet" labels, to make control panel overlays for some small electronic projects. The labels are printed mostly black, with white text for controls, and I've also included some dull dark-gray circles to indicate where circles must be cut out, for little buttons and controls. Now one of these controls is a rotary control, so once cut that hole will be mostly hidden by a knob. But, there are several smaller holes that reveal small buttons, which protrude through holes in the underlying plastic. So those holes need to be cut as smooth and precise as possible.

So I'm just looking for tips from anyone who has done something similar. Obviously I can't "drill" these holes. So far, I've had some success with a hand punch tool sold for leather, which has about 6 punches that can be selected. By placing the punch right over my gray guide circles (printed on the label), I can give a firm squeeze, and with a little twisting back and fourth it seems to make a pretty clear punch. Any other ideas?
#2 Posted : 2/12/2014 5:20:46 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Unfortunately, the only device that we currently have on hand for hole-punches is a traditional three hole-punch. The three hole-punch does seem to cut through our plastic film stocks with relative ease, but I do understand that may not be exactly what you are looking for.

We did recently pin a number of hole-punch solutions on our Pinterest board. You can view the link below:

http://www.pinterest.com...r-adhesive-label-sheets/

The products shown at this link have not been tested in-house, but have been suggested by customers of ours. The links may help point you in the right direction while searching for new hole-punch solutions.
#3 Posted : 11/29/2014 1:16:10 AM(EST)
TMinTX

Have you checked to see if there are any craft punches that meet your needs? They come in a lot of sizes, but I don't know if any of them can create a punch much beyond 1/4" or so from the edge.
#4 Posted : 11/29/2014 9:24:22 AM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

I've found a pretty good assortment of industrial grade punches, so that problem is solved. I have to use these with a hammer, and I have to make sure that behind the label there is a piece of stiff cardboard or flat wood, and an sturdy immovable surface below that. Sometimes you just have to get the best tools to do certain jobs, but thankfully there's always surplus and ebay. :-)