Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 12/3/2014 10:08:57 PM(EST)
schrama2

United States

I work in agricultural research and use labeled wooden stakes to identify field plots. These labels are exposed to temperature extremes and moisture for up to 4 months. In the past, I've ordered pre-labeled stakes. These have worked superbly, but require forethought and organization on my part to have an adequate supply on hand during the season. I've decided to bring this function in-house. The Datamax I-4208 printer was recommended to me. It arrived today. I'm in the process of getting everything set up, but need a recommendation of label material and ribbon. I will be printing 4"x1" labels.
This is a new endeavor for me. From the looking around and some vague recommendations it seams like I'll need a durable wax/resin ribbon printing on synthetic (polyester) media with a permanent adhesive. The wooden stakes I use are usually painted or with some type of colored finish. Specific product recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
#2 Posted : 12/4/2014 1:54:22 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Thanks for your inquiry! I'll be happy to provide some product recommendations for you.

Based on the description of your application you will definitely need our Weatherproof Thermal Transfer material paired with our Durable Wax/Resin thermal transfer ribbons.

Our Weatherproof Thermal Transfer material consists of a white glossy polypropylene film. It's extremely durable, even in direct contact with water, oil, and various chemicals. The adhesive used for this product is one of our very best - it's graded for excellent adhesion to both smooth and textured surfaces and has a service temperature range of -65°F to 147°F. It should have no problem adhering to your painted wooden stakes.

I looked up the specifications for your printer model and it appears that you will need labels on a 3" core. You can view our 4" x 1" Weatherproof Thermal Transfer product on a 3" core at the link below:

http://www.onlinelabels.com/RL780TW.htm

To achieve the most durable printing results with this material you will need to use our Durable Wax/Resin thermal transfer ribbons. These ribbons provide high resistance to scratching and abrasion, and coupled with the weatherproof material will create printing that is durable to heavy handling, moisture, and chemicals. Datamax printers generally require a Coated Side In (CSI) ribbon type, and I noticed that your printer model calls for a ribbon with a 1" core. The product linked to below should work well for your specific application:

http://www.onlinelabels.com/TR2625RC.htm

I hope that you find this information helpful. If you should require any further assistance regarding thermal transfer materials and ribbons please just let me know. I'll be happy to help in any way that I can!