Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 2/19/2015 1:31:42 PM(EST)
Armo

Every year at this time I use the OL5275 .75" labels for our American Legion Post 113 "Ball Drop" golf tournament.
We put number the labels 1 through 12,000 and put them on golf balls.
The golf balls are dropped from a crane over the practice green and the first one in the hole wins.
In the past I have used Microsoft Word with the numbering feature to format the labels.
In the last year I lost my saved versions of this for various reasons.
I have not been able to get word to number more than one page ( 1 through 98).
Any ideas?
#2 Posted : 2/19/2015 4:27:23 PM(EST)
PEPR

Netherlands

Why don't you use a label design package? There are so many good design packages and many label printers come with a free design package. There are also some opensource free packages but my success with those are a bit mixed. You need good Windows drivers for your label printer to make them work and then you still may have some issues. The light editions of the professional packages are great for this purpose.
Some of the packages with the edition that you would need:
  1. BarTender, basic edition.
  2. NiceLabel, desinger express
  3. Package shipped with the printer
  4. Formtec Design Pro
  5. Opensource
  6. Barcode Fonts in combination with Word, Excel or Access

BarTender this is very powerful and I use this very often. NiceLabel is a bit good competitor of BarTender and more affordable. Some vendors like CognitiveTPG use to ship the free express edition with their printers (NiceLabel in this case). You probably can guess who made that happen ;-). And many also do this. Formtec is a low budget alternative but not free of charge. Opensource are very hard to find and I wonder if there are any good ones left for Windows. For Linux it is a lot easier. Fonts are a lot easier to find and some are free of charge. Code39 is very popular but also less good as other barcode fonts. I have a free version available if you like.

But if you print that many why on earth use Word? That is not the software to print serialized data reliably. Also the use of Code39, while a lot better then IT2F5, it is not the most advanced and compact barcode. Spend a bit of money and do it right or find a company that will support you with the hardware and software in return for a good application story.

Edited by user Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:30:12 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#3 Posted : 2/19/2015 10:31:44 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Armo Go to Quoted Post
Every year at this time I use the OL5275 .75" labels for our American Legion Post 113 "Ball Drop" golf tournament.
We put number the labels 1 through 12,000 and put them on golf balls.
The golf balls are dropped from a crane over the practice green and the first one in the hole wins.
In the past I have used Microsoft Word with the numbering feature to format the labels.
In the last year I lost my saved versions of this for various reasons.
I have not been able to get word to number more than one page ( 1 through 98).
Any ideas?

You can easily accomplish this task using our our Maestro Label Designer software and Microsoft Excel (or a spreadsheet program). Your first step would be to create a spreadsheet with the number series that you require. Microsoft Excel supports auto-numbering and you should be able to easily generate a list of numbers from 1-12000. Once you have that Excel document you can upload it into Maestro Label Designer using the mail merge function.

Here is a link to our mail merge instructions for Maestro Label Designer.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/Support/Maestro/MailMerge/Mail-Merge-Guide.aspx

Here is a tutorial that I found on the web that shows how to create a list of sequential of numbers in Excel.

http://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/789-excel-create-and-insert-sequence-numbers.html

Let us know if you need any additional help.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com