Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 4/18/2015 4:16:23 PM(EST)
DHStraayer

I like to print labels on home canning projects. I also like to label jars of teas I buy. I've just made a trial order of onlinelabels.com's removable labels. I hope they work for me. I've used Avery and Office Depot/Max labels, and I'm always frustrated at the amount of work it takes to get them cleanly off.

I'd be happy to get the old-fashioned mucilage-backed labels that you wet with a damp sponge before applying. They come off easily with a brief soak in warm water. Maybe onlinelabels.com's removable labels will come off easily. I understand that commercial product manufactures, winemakers, etc are all very focused on making sure their labels don't come off. That's fine for them. But my concern is in just the opposite direction - getting the darned things off cleanly and easily so I can use the jars again.

Any comments?
#2 Posted : 4/19/2015 3:34:14 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Finding something that is going to stick properly yet still remain easily removable can definitely be challenging. In your situation, it is best to test the labels to see how they perform on your specific application.

Are the labels going on the top of the cans?

We are happy to send you a few sample sheets for testing if you would like to fill out our sample request form at the link below.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/General/SamplesSelectItems.aspx

I do see you have placed an actual order in our system. I have gone ahead and put the order on hold so you can decide if you would like to try some free samples before we send you an order. I will have our customer service department contact you through our support ticket system so you can respond.

In the event, you decide to have us fulfill the order without first testing samples, we do have a money back policy on all our products. You can read the details of that policy at the link below.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/return.htm

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#3 Posted : 4/19/2015 5:02:48 PM(EST)
DHStraayer

Ok, I've ordered two sheets as samples. I'll post another reply here if/when they work out and we can regenerate my order. I appreciate being able to try.

I seem to remember that the labels that canning companies sometimes supplied were the old-fashioned "wet with a damp sponge before applying" labels. Of course, it was pretty hard to print them with modern computer printers. Online might want to consider selling printable labels like that. Or perhaps your "removables" will work fine. I seem to remember that one manufacturer (here to remain un-named) once had labels with a name like "Remove 'em", but replaced them with "Re-positionable". The adhesive for the "Re-positionable" reminded me of latex paint: when you first used it, you could remove it easily enough. But, like latex paint, it seemed to oxidize over time, and became quite a chore to remove.

For canning and shelf-labeling, unlike commercial products, premature loss of labeling is not a big deal. Getting the darned things off to re-use the container is.

Thanks

Dave Straayer
#4 Posted : 4/19/2015 5:03:55 PM(EST)
DHStraayer

Hmm, all that talk about oxidizing does make it a challenge to see if the labels I'm ordering will really stay removable over time. Any thoughts on that?
#5 Posted : 4/19/2015 10:03:57 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I see your sample request in our system. The samples will go out in tomorrow's mail. I have gone ahead and removed your order from our system. We can re-instate the order if you decide to move forward after testing the labels.

As I mentioned, I think it is best if you test the labels on your specific application. Depending on the surface the adhesive may perform slightly different. On certain plastics and glass, I have seen it have a very strong bond. It seems to keep its removable / repositionable characteristics on paper better than other surfaces.

Let us know how it goes with the samples. Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com