Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 8/29/2015 11:36:56 AM(EST)
MoonShadows

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have used White Gloss Labels for inkjet for my jar products and Weatherproof Gloss Inkjet Labels for my lotions, shampoos, etc. for almost 10 years now. I have a Canon Inkjet MG6620 and a Canon Inkjet IP4920. I run both these labels on the setting of "Glossy Photo Paper" because it seems to give me the best quality print with no smudging.

I have always noticed some fading of labels over time in stores, especially if the store has florescent lighting, but today I was making a delivery to a seasonal customer and noticed that all the products she had left from my last delivery just a month ago are so faded it looked like they had been sitting in the sun for months. She does not have the labels exposed to sun, and she uses warm florescent bulbs for store lighting. Do the warm bulbs fade labels faster than the cool bulbs?

Can anyone shed some light on how I can get my labels not to fade so quickly? Do I need to make different printer settings, use different ink, use a laser printer, or use a different label material. Faded labels hurt sales because they make the product look like it has been sitting on the shelf for months.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.
Jim

www.MoonShadowsFarm.com
Good Eats & Treats from the Pocono Mountains
 1 user thanked MoonShadows for this useful post: kbonner
#2 Posted : 8/30/2015 10:45:47 AM(EST)
MoonShadows

United States

I have been doing a lot of reading since I posted here yesterday, and I am beginning to think the dye based ink used in most ink jet printers today (in which I use) is fading because of high humid temperatures and UV rays from fluorescent lighting. (This customer has a U Pick It farm and the labeled jars sit in a barn without climate control and under bright warm fluorescent lighting.) From my reading I am beginning to think I need to buy a printer that uses pigment ink. Does anyone have experience using pigment ink to print their labels? Does it help reduce, or stop, fading from high, humid temperatures and UV rays from fluorescent lights? The printers and ink are considerably more expensive, and I don't want to run out and spend the money unless I am sure it will help. Any feedback is most welcomed.

www.MoonShadowsFarm.com
#3 Posted : 8/31/2015 7:53:15 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you've experienced and I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can.

Pigment-based ink is generally considered to be more durable than dye-based ink, but I haven't seen specific data indicating a definitive improvement in fade resistance over time. Before purchasing a new printer and ink, I would definitely try to track one of these printers down for some testing. If you don't know anyone with a pigment-based inkjet printer you may have some luck at a local office supply store. We've had a number of customers report that they were able to demo specific printer models in-store. Some retailers may have policies against it, but I would definitely inquire before making a purchase.

Before you look into purchasing a new printer you may want to consider trying a clear-coat protective spray. Applying a clear-coat protective spray to your labels after printing should drastically improve durability. Some of the available sprays even come with built in UV protection, so they could potentially resolve the fading issue that you have experienced. We recommend a spray called Krylon Preserve-It, which can be purchased locally at retailers such as Michael's and Hobby Lobby. You can view a step-by-step guide on applying a clear-coat protective spray by visiting the link below:

http://www.onlinelabels.com/howto/how-to-give-your-labels-an-extra-layer-of-protection-label-overcoa

I hope you find this information useful. If you should require any additional assistance please just let me know.
#4 Posted : 8/31/2015 10:09:30 AM(EST)
MoonShadows

United States

Thanks, Josh. I just read about the Krylon® Preserve It. It says nothing about fade protection from UV rays, and I believe that is the main culprit. While I know heat and humidity are not label friendly, stores where our products are subjected to fluorescent lighting, but climate controlled, also have a problem with fading. I'm going to speak with a few printer reps and see what I can do to get some samples of pigmented inks and different finishes.

www.MoonShadowsFarm.com
#5 Posted : 8/31/2015 11:09:25 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Krylon Preserve-It is only one of the clear-coat sprays available. I mentioned it specifically because it's the spray featured in our step-by-step guide that I linked to in my initial response. I haven't had an opportunity to test it myself, but Krylon does have a UV-Resistant spray available as well. You can view the product details at the link below:

http://www.krylon.com/products/uvresistant-clear-coating/
#6 Posted : 12/1/2015 12:34:34 PM(EST)
xaovang

Great labels!