Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 8/12/2016 5:00:53 PM(EST)
shockys

United States

Hello, I'm having an issue with our labels on the gold foil sheets for inkjet printers.

in the picture the BD is having a sponge effect with the ink and not giving it a soil fill of black, I tried printing a normal paper and the black ink filled perfectly fine, how can I fix this?

http://imgur.com/a/kWGz3

Would a laser or inkjet print be better for my application? I am normally just doing labels much like in the picture but changing "BD" mainly text no pictures.

I am currently using a Canon MX922, should i use a different printer?

Thanks for your help
#2 Posted : 8/14/2016 10:04:41 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. It appears that the black ink is not encapsulating into the top coating. I think that playing with the print settings may help to improve the results.

The Cannon MX922 uses 5-color ink system that consists of a pigment-based black ink, and four dye-based inks. The particles in pigment based inks (your black cartridge) tend to be larger and may not be absorbing into the top coating as well as dye based inks. I think you will get a better result if you can get your printer to use the dye-based inks to create the black in your design. Here is an article that I found that explains the Cannon black ink cartridges.

http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/11782/what-is-the-difference-between-canons-black-inks

When printing from the PDF file click on the "Advanced" button within the printer dialog box. On the pop-up screen, click the checkbox next to "Print as Image" and then click on "OK". Using this setting will instruct the printer to compile the colors used on your design slightly differently, and can sometimes force your printer to use the dye-based colors rather than the pigment black cartridge.

There may be also some settings in your printer settings that you can adjust to get your printer to change the ink output and the density of the black print. Please try a few different settings and see if you get an improved result.

In regards to laser printing - the advantage to laser printing is that the toner is going to fuse to the material so it is normally more resistant to smudging / smearing. Laser printing does typically create a dense black. That being said - you should be able to achieve a more dense black with your inkjet printer with the correct settings. Let me know as I am happy to continue trouble shooting.

I hope this information is helpful.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

Edited by user Sunday, August 14, 2016 10:07:40 AM(EST)  | Reason: fixed typo