Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 8/15/2016 10:44:36 AM(EST)
JujuFox

United States

I'm a little disappointed in how weatherproof these labels actually are. I noticed a few days after printing that when handling the label the ink was rubbing off on my fingers, so I ran it under the faucet to test. The ink ran and left a light gray where the black should have been. The red heart did also run, but still stayed bright and vibrant after washing. Does this have anything to do with how the printer prints black? The "I" is more green, the bats are more blue. Could this be because my printer might be using the CMY cart to print black and is laying down too much ink?

I'm using an HP Deskjet F4400

Both labels are from the same print job. The top was rinsed under cold water, the bottom is not.
#2 Posted : 8/16/2016 7:49:45 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing and I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can. Have you tried adjusting the material type setting within your printer options? Most inkjet printers are preset to Default or Plain Paper - simply making the adjustment to a Photo or Glossy setting can drastically improve the durability of the print on glossy materials.
#3 Posted : 8/18/2016 12:19:43 PM(EST)
JujuFox

United States

I did photo/glossy paper type and also used "best" which is the highest quality option in my printer settings.

In another group discussion someone who uses this product said their Canon Pixma printer works fine, but that HP black ink does not embed well into the paper.
#4 Posted : 8/18/2016 2:28:42 PM(EST)
cmbrowning

United States

Great tip thank you!
#5 Posted : 8/18/2016 2:31:30 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I just took a closer look at the specifications for the ink cartridges used in your HP Deskjet F4400 printer. The black ink cartridge consists of pigment based ink, while the tricolor cartridge consists of dye based ink. Pigment based ink features larger particles than the ones found in dye based inks, which can sometimes cause issues with the way the ink is absorbed into the topcoat of the label material.

When printing from the PDF file click on the "Advanced" button within the printer dialog box. On the pop-up screen, click the checkbox next to "Print as Image" and then click on "OK". Using this setting will instruct the printer to compile the colors used on your design slightly differently, and can sometimes force your printer to use the dye-based colors rather than the pigment based black ink.

Something else to consider is the print quality setting. You mentioned using the "Best" quality setting when printing, but that could potentially be over-saturating the topcoat of the material. Please try printing your design again using the "Normal" quality setting. This simple adjustment may improve your print durability as well.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need any additional assistance.