Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 2/18/2017 2:25:53 PM(EST)
kippryon

United States

Hopefully, a simple question:
A) Should I create my images (using Graphic software) at 0.75in and specify the bleed using the Maestro software Page Setup Bleed value of 0.125in?
B) Should I create my images (using Graphic software) at 0.875in (0.75in+0.125in) and specify the bleed using the Maestro software Page Setup Bleed value of 0.125?
C) Should I create my images (using Graphic software) at 0.875in (0.75+0.125) and specify the bleed using the Maestro software Page Setup Bleed value of 0.0?
Simply put – Should the BLEED be created using the image Graphic Software, Maestro, or Both?
Reference articles
OnLine Labels.com Forum
Use bleed when printing color to the edge of your labels
https://www.onlinelabels.com/articles/personalized-round-labels.htm?src=lrn-2
Creating Personalized Round Labels
https://www.onlinelabels.com/articles/personalized-round-labels.htm?src=lrn-2
Environment setup
Labels: OL5275
Label design: Maestro
Label design file type: Image (no text)
Graphic software: Photoshop Elements
Thank you.
#2 Posted : 2/19/2017 7:40:57 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Generally speaking, the answer to this question depends on your artwork and the way that you have set up your design file in Maestro Label Designer.

I went ahead and reviewed one of your design files so I could see how you set up your design file. The file I reviewed just had a single uploaded image as the design. In that case, the built-in bleed in Maestro Label Designer isn't going to do anything because you just uploaded an image into the software for your label design and Maestro Label Designer isn't able to create bleed on an uploaded image file. Assuming all your files are set up in a similar way it is going to be best for you to create your images (using your Graphic software) at 0.875" (0.75" +0.125") and specify the bleed value of 0.125" bleed in Maestro Label Designer.

I hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

Edited by user Thursday, March 2, 2017 11:06:05 PM(EST)  | Reason: Corrected bleed recommendation

1 user thanked dcarmany for this useful post: kippryon
#3 Posted : 2/19/2017 9:21:01 AM(EST)
kippryon

United States

Thank you very much for your reply.
The key being:
Maestro Label Designer isn't able to create bleed on an uploaded image file.
#4 Posted : 2/19/2017 9:47:09 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Yes - that is correct. If you are using elements like a background color that are created by Maestro Label Designer then the built-in bleed will work.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#5 Posted : 2/23/2017 10:24:49 AM(EST)
Brittany

Hello,

I am designing my labels in Maestro and used the default page setup settings..left margin .1563, top margin .5, and bleed of .125. I am using OL475 4" x 5" and when I printed my designs without changing the page setup, everything shifted to the left to where the background/design didn't even stretch to the edge of the actual label that I would peel off (not just the edge of the page). Do I need to adjust my bleed or something else?

Thanks
-Brittany
#6 Posted : 2/23/2017 11:10:52 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Originally Posted by: Brittany Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I am designing my labels in Maestro and used the default page setup settings..left margin .1563, top margin .5, and bleed of .125. I am using OL475 4" x 5" and when I printed my designs without changing the page setup, everything shifted to the left to where the background/design didn't even stretch to the edge of the actual label that I would peel off (not just the edge of the page). Do I need to adjust my bleed or something else?

Thanks
-Brittany

I tried to review your account to see if I could review your Maestro Label Designer design file, but I was unable to find an account in our system associated with the login email that you used for the forum.

My initial thoughts are that the issue is related to the unprintable margin of your printer. The OL475 - 4" x 5" labels have a thin left / right margin (0.1563"). Most standard desktop printers don't printer any closer than 0.20"-0.25" to the left / right side of the sheet. This may be a limitation of your printer and even if you adjust the bleed in your art or your design file it will not have any impact on your printer's ability to print closer to the edge.

If you look at the alignment guide at the link below, please see the section on "Accounting for Non-Printable Margins".

https://www.onlinelabels.com/articles/printer-alignment-guide.htm

Here is a tool that we created to check the non-printable margins on your printer.

https://www.onlinelabels.com/misc/printermargin.pdf

Let me know if you think this is the cause of your issue. If not, we can continue to trouble shoot.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com