Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 4/24/2017 11:57:51 AM(EST)
beko

Macedonia

I am about to design a label that will go on a beer bottle with a Matte Paper. I believe this is a special type of paper that is shiny per se and does not require applying any shiny design to the label when working on the label design. My question is, should my label design have a background when considering Matte Paper or should it be transparent with just content such as text and logo? Does anyone have any template that has done a design intended for a Matte Paper or can someone guide me what I should highly take into consideration as a novice in this specific requirement? Your help would be profusely appreciated. :)
#2 Posted : 4/25/2017 10:37:01 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
This is a difficult question to answer since it is really a matter of opinion. Obviously, any parts of the paper / label that are not covered with ink will show the characteristics of the paper / label material. If you don't want the paper / label material to show through then you will need to do a design that has 100% ink coverage on the label.

There are beer labels that are very ornate with lots of colors and then there are others that are very simple. I think the key to understand the goals of brand owner in terms of the look they are trying to achieve and then move forward with designing the label.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
 1 user thanked dcarmany for this useful post: beko
#3 Posted : 4/26/2017 11:46:17 AM(EST)
beko

Macedonia

Profusely appreciate your reply, Dave. Your answer is crystal clear and that's what I was envisioning on my mind as well when talking about matte papers. I believe matte works similarly as printing on hot foil, or am I wrong?
#4 Posted : 4/26/2017 2:33:46 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
When printing on foils, you need very opaque inks to cover the foil material behind the ink. We usually tell customers to print black or dark colors when printing onto our foil materials. Light colors are sometimes hard to see well on a foil label because ink / toner from a desktop printer are not really opaque.

Foil is reflective and can definitely has an effect on the look of the ink / toner. When printing on clear or foil labels on a label printing press (not a desktop laser or inkjet printer), it is common for the label company to lay down a layer of white ink so the colors that are printed look better.

Here is a video that illustrates the white ink layer on a clear label. This may help to illustrate what I am saying.

http://www.consolidatedlabel.com/videos/white-underprint-clear-labels/

The matte white material is white so it has no effect on the way your inks display on the printed label.

Hope this information is helpful.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

1 user thanked dcarmany for this useful post: beko
#5 Posted : 4/26/2017 6:10:55 PM(EST)
beko

Macedonia

Excellent and very catchy explanation. Thanks for taking your time to assist me on this :)

Beko