Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 6/16/2017 5:46:32 AM(EST)
lenacoconuthut

United States

First of all I love Maestro Label Design. I purchased a lot of labels from you recently. Specifically I just purchased OL2520 1" by 8.25" Weather Proof Glossy for Ink Jet. First I had a HP Envy 7640 E4W43A Ink Jet. These labels kept jamming in this printer and the ink smeared on them when applying the labels to the products. The labels were allowed to dry for 48 hours before use. I went on line to Best Buy last week and purchased an Epson Expression ET3600 EcoTank Wireless All in One Printer- Inkjet. It uses bottled ink, cartridge free. This was even worse. Labels did not get jammed but smears like crazy even after 48 hours of label dry time. Ink transferred to my hands tonight while labeling my body creams. My fingers were black. I went online again tonight and purchased an Epson Workforce WF-7620 Wireless All in One Printer - Ink Jet. This uses cartridges and according to Epson the ink for these is supposed to be water resistant, fade resistant and smear proof. I will receive it Tuesday so we will see. I have a high volume bath & body company. I need color, water proof labels, non smearing & non fading. I don't care how much the printer is or if it is Laser or Ink Jet. Can you please help me produce a quality label by advising what I should do.

Thank you,
Lena
#2 Posted : 6/16/2017 8:36:39 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Lena -

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing and I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can.

Have you tried adjusting the printer settings on either of the printers that were failing? Most inkjet printers are set as default to print on plain white copy paper. Changing the material type to Photo or Glossy should definitely improve the print durability and the smearing that you've experienced.

If you've already changed the material type setting to Photo/Glossy and are still experiencing the smearing issues you may want to consider adjusting the print quality as well. Decreasing the print quality will reduce ink saturation and should improve excessive smearing problems.

Before shopping for a new printer I'd definitely try to adjustments listed above. If you do decide to look for a new printer, there are a couple of different options you can consider.

I tested the Weatherproof Gloss Inkjet material extensively with a number of different inkjet printers, and had a ton of success with the HP Officejet Pro 8600 using the Glossy Photo Paper setting. I was able to achieve high-quality color prints that held up well to direct contact with moisture. The HP Officejet Pro 8600 has been discontinued, but the newer printer models in the Officejet Pro series should function similarly.

You could also consider moving to laser printing. Laser printing is generally much more durable when compared directly to inkjet printing. If you decide to make the switch, I'd recommend using our Weatherproof Polyester Laser material and a printer from the HP Color LaserJet series. If you'd like to receive sample sheets of the Weatherproof Polyester Laser material to review, please just let me know and I'll have them sent out for you right away.

I hope this information helps. If you need any additional details please just let me know.
 1 user thanked Josh for this useful post: lenacoconuthut
#3 Posted : 6/16/2017 1:55:26 PM(EST)
lenacoconuthut

United States

On the HP Envy I did change the paper type to Photo and Glossy Ink Jet Paper. It printed extremely slow and saturated my label with color that made my label blotchy and the INCI ingredients impossible to read. I have not tried this on the new Epson Eco Tank. I will tinker with it today and see. I can't have less smearing, I need no smearing at all. I am seriously considering getting an HP Laser printer. Can you please send the sample out for the Polyester Water Proof Laser Printer? Thank you so much for your help.

Edited by user Friday, June 16, 2017 1:56:25 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#4 Posted : 6/16/2017 2:02:56 PM(EST)
lenacoconuthut

United States

When you said decrease print quality. Where do I go to do that and how much should I decrease it? Thanks, Lena
#5 Posted : 6/19/2017 8:15:13 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Lena -

The quality setting is usually located in the same area as the material type setting for most printer models. There are usually three different quality options: best, normal, and draft. If the printer is currently set at the best or highest quality, I'd try adjusting the quality setting to normal. If you're on the normal setting already,= but are still noticing that the label sheets appear to be over-saturated, then you should try printing with the draft quality setting.

I'll have samples of our weatherproof polyester laser material sent out for you today. I'm sending you a few sample sheets in each of the sizes you've recently ordered. If you have any questions upon receiving the sample sheets please just let me know.