Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 10/1/2017 9:09:15 PM(EST)
troper

Recently went to the WI version of waterproof labels for moisture applications (show gels, scrubs, oils etc) Now I am having issues with the finished label scratching. Love the glossy look. We carry our finished bath & body products and candles in tubs and boxes. I recently stacked candle tins in a box for an event. ALL labels that were stacked were scratched as if a nail had scraped the surface. I make too many to try the Kylon technique. Please help !! Our labels are black ink only - no color on the WIs. Ink Jet Printer Thanks!!!

Tom R
#2 Posted : 10/2/2017 8:33:10 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issue and I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can.

The best way to protect against abrasion and scratching would definitely be using a clear overcoat spray like Krylon Preserve-It. An overcoat spray will essentially add a laminate to your labels, and will directly protect against any damage that can occur from scratching. I know you mentioned that you make too many labels to try the Krylon technique, but if you apply a light coat to the entire sheet of labels after it comes out of the printer, before removing the labels, it should make the process quite a bit quicker. If you change your mind and decide to try it, you can view a step by step guide at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/articles/krylon-weatherproof-waterproof-label-overcoat-spray.htm

Beyond using an overcoat spray, selecting the appropriate material type within your printer settings when printing your labels is the best way to ensure maximum durability. Most printers are set as default to print on standard copy paper. If you haven't already, adjusting the material type setting to Photo or Glossy should result in dramatically improved print quality and durability.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#3 Posted : 11/13/2017 10:24:21 AM(EST)
troper

Still having issues with scratching using WI labels in an Ink Jet printer. I have set my print preferences to HP Everyday Photo Paper Glossy and have the same results. Any other suggestions. Love your products but this is really frustrating.
#4 Posted : 11/13/2017 10:26:31 AM(EST)
troper

I did try the Krylon....it left a residue/rough feel to the label. It lost it's glossy appearance as well.
#5 Posted : 11/13/2017 2:47:53 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

I'm really sorry to hear that you're still experiencing issues.

In general, when printing these labels with HP inkjet printers I've had the most success using the "Other Photo Papers" material type. Based on your experience with the "HP Everyday Photo Paper Glossy" setting I don't expect that it will enhance the durability to abrasion by a considerable amount though.

Durability to abrasion can be a tricky obstacle to overcome when printing labels with an inkjet or laser printer. This is due to the fact that that the print is applied to the outermost surface of the label and is ultimately left exposed. Weatherproof inkjet label material is manufactured with a top coat that will provide significant durability to water, but for applications that will be exposed to heavy handling, abrasion, chemicals, or oils will sometimes require additional protection.

This is why we commonly recommend using an overcoat spray like Krylon Preserve-It. It essentially adds a laminate to the labels, making them much more durable if they're likely to be in direct contact with abrasion. Based on your feedback, it sounds like you weren't happy with the way your labels looked and felt after applying the spray though.

An alternate solution to the overcoat spray would be applying a second, clear glossy label on top of the first label after it's applied. A glossy clear label would allow your printed label to retain its high gloss appearance and the label would remain smooth to the touch after it's been applied. I understand that applying a second label isn't ideal, but it should totally resolve the problem you're running into if you're willing to give it a shot. I'd be happy to have clear label samples sent to you for testing if you're interested in trying it on your application. If you'd like samples, please just respond with the label sizes you'd like to receive.

Of course, if you decide that none of these solutions meet your needs we do have a full money back guarantee on our products. We'll be happy to take back any unused product for a refund if you're not able to use the labels.

I hope this information helps. If you need any additional details, or would like those clear glossy samples, please just let me know.

#6 Posted : 11/13/2017 2:50:47 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Which specific Krylon Preserve-It spray did you use? There are variety of Krylon Preserve-It finishes available including matte and glossy. I recommend the glossy finish.

Let us know.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#7 Posted : 11/13/2017 3:12:48 PM(EST)
troper

I did use the matte finish of Krylon. I have ordered the glossy to try. What printer is recommended if lasers and ink jets are more susceptible to this issue. Someone is doing something with the WI type to make them 'weather resilient' I assume? Thanks
#8 Posted : 11/13/2017 3:46:57 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

I apologize for any confusion regarding my statement on inkjet and laser printing. When I said that durability to abrasion can be a concern with these types of printer models, I meant in direct comparison to professionally printed labels on rolls that are being sealed or laminated after being printed. When printing sheeted labels at home or in the office the print will always be exposed unless you add some kind of protective coating yourself after printing.

Our weatherproof label materials are extremely durable when in direct contact with moisture. Most customers are using these products without applying an overcoat spray or a clear label, but for those that do experience issues with scratching or abrasion it has been a popular solution. It essentially simulates the kind of laminate that would be applied to a professionally printed roll label.

Generally speaking, laser printing tends to be more durable when compared directly to inkjet printing. If you have access to a laser printer and would like to sample some weatherproof laser labels I'd be happy to put together a sample pack for you.

Regarding the Krylon Preserve-It, I imagine that you'll be more pleased with the results of the glossy spray compared to the matte spray. In my experience, the customers that do choose to use the Krylon spray tend to use the glossy finish.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information please just let us know.
#9 Posted : 11/14/2017 11:46:29 AM(EST)
troper

I have ordered clear labels until I can figure out another process with Krylon. We are in our busiest season now. It appears the clear labels I need are not in stock and I have a rush order on them. Hope I can get them soon. This is costing a fortune to get a label on a product.
#10 Posted : 11/14/2017 4:20:25 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Tom -

Per our discussion on the phone this afternoon I've switched the items on your order from clear gloss inkjet to clear gloss laser. The clear gloss laser material is ideal for use as protective laminate labels since it's cheaper in comparison to the inkjet material and you're not intending to print on them.

We do have these items in stock and ready to ship immediately - they'll ship out this afternoon for delivery tomorrow. You'll receive an updated order confirmation email shortly, and an email with tracking information later this evening.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with. We truly appreciate your business.