Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 11/8/2017 3:34:20 PM(EST)
Forrest

United States

What printer would be recommended for printing matte white labels with photographic(image quality important) images on them. Depending on the time of year we print anywhere from 50 to several thousand sheets per month. Speed and most importantly reliability are key factors.

We currently print our labels on a konica bizhub, but have had some problems with the labels coming apart in it, so we would like to take them off of it.

Would like to keep it under $1,500

Looking at the HP Color LaserJet Enterprise M652n or the Xerox VersaLink C600
Color LED Printer

but I'm open to any other suggestions.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!!!

Edited by user Wednesday, November 8, 2017 4:29:44 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#2 Posted : 11/9/2017 8:23:31 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Forrest -

I've had a great deal of success using the HP Color LaserJet series of printers with our standard white matte label material. I haven't had the opportunity to use the exact model referenced in your post, but I've used a variety of other printer models from the HP Color LaserJet series with great results.

Two of my highest volume printers right now are the HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dn and the HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw. Both exhibit excellent print quality and durability, and both have proven to be very reliable in terms of printer feed and speed. I think you would be very pleased with the HP Color LaserJet Enterprise M652dn based on my experiences with these printer models.

I haven't had an opportunity to use any of the Xerox VersaLink printers and we haven't received any feedback regarding these printer models from our customers at this point. It's difficult for me to make a recommendation on this printer model just due to lack of information.

I hope this information helps. If you need any additional assistance please just let me know.
#3 Posted : 11/14/2017 10:27:31 AM(EST)
Forrest

United States

The image quality I'm getting from the HP Laserjet M652 is really bad. The text is blurry and the picture quality is horrible(almost cartoon like).

It's not the file because when I print to my konica bizhub they come out looking great.

If i print a word document however the text quality is perfect.

So it seems like it does not handle jpegs/pdfs very well?

Any suggestions?

Trying to print pdf files made from jpegs that contain head shot photo pictures and text below the picture.
#4 Posted : 11/14/2017 3:30:05 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

I can't speak to the exact performance on the HP LaserJet M652 since I haven't had the opportunity to use that exact model. I use my HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dn and the HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw printer models to extensively test all of our laser label materials though. I use high resolution JPEG and PDF image files as well as Microsoft Word documents to test print quality, and have always been very pleased with the output on these two printer models.

Have you tried adjusting the material type setting within your printer options yet? I typically have my HP LaserJet printer models set to either Labels or Photo/Glossy for the best image quality. When printing with the default Plain paper setting I have experienced instances of slightly degraded print quality, depending on the type of label material being used. Adjusting the quality setting within your printer options may improve results as well.

I was able to locate the manual for your printer model online and was browsing the troubleshooting section to see if I could locate any other possible suggestions. The only possible solution beyond making adjustments to the settings was calibrating the printer. There should be an option from the printer control panel that allows you to calibrate the printer. Additionally, there's another option that allows you restore the original factory default calibration settings. Both are listed as potential solutions for printing defects on color printer models.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#5 Posted : 11/14/2017 3:42:20 PM(EST)
Forrest

United States

Josh,
Thanks so much for the good info. Very much appreciated.

I ran the calibration which seemed to pretty much fix the issue.

You have been way more of a help than hp tech support(who were pretty much useless).

I was using the labels setting but it seemed like after 20 or so prints the toner stopped adhering to the paper a lot. I switched it to the extra heavy stock setting and that seemed to fix that. You have good results with the photo/glossy setting?

One last question, I wanted to make an icc profile for it. Do you know of a good way to turn off all of the profiling type settings so that I can print the targets to build the profile with?
#6 Posted : 11/14/2017 4:49:36 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

I'm happy I was able to help!

The material type setting generally varies depending on which label material I'm printing and which of my printer models I'm using. I have traditionally had success using Photo/Glossy with a wide variety of our products but I tend to lean towards the Labels setting whenever possible. I have found that the Heavy/Extra Heavy settings work well also - to my knowledge, any heavier material setting that slows the feed down and increases the fusing temperature will have a positive effect on toner fusion issues.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience creating ICC profiles so I'm afraid I won't be of much assistance in regards to that. I'll ask around and if I'm able to find any concrete information I'll be happy to respond to this post and pass it along.

If you need any additional assistance please just let us know. We appreciate your business!
#7 Posted : 11/14/2017 5:25:15 PM(EST)
Forrest

United States

thanks for the help.

One other issue I'm having is it is printing too dark no matter what program/file/settings i use, any suggestions?
#8 Posted : 11/15/2017 3:10:43 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

I've been trying to find troubleshooting tips regarding print that is too dark when using HP LaserJet printers. The available settings differ from printer model to printer model - I've found a couple of things that could potentially be useful.

Some HP LaserJet printer models have a setting built in for toner density. Where you access this setting may differ depending on the printer model. I've seen some references to the setting being located on the physical control panel on the printer itself. Otherwise, the density setting may be located within the printer settings that you access from your computer. I can't find concrete information relating specifically to the LaserJet M652, but it's something you may want to check into.

Otherwise, the reducing the print quality setting theoretically would decrease the toner density and should result in prints that are less dark. The print quality setting should be located within the printer settings that you access from your computer. If possible, and if the toner density option is not available, I'd try reducing the print quality by one level to see if that improves your printing results.