Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 7/7/2018 12:05:39 PM(EST)
Myramit

United States

Hey folks,

1st time user here. This forum has tons of info that I’m already finding helpful.

I need your collective help deciding what type of labels to get and what type of color printer to buy.

We are creating our own brand of game, that will be packaged in either cardboard or tin boxes.

The items are higher end, and will be considered heirloom products, designed to be shared among families and passed down through generations, so the labels and ink we use, must be really durable, fade resistant, high color saturation, but not too glossy as we don’t want to crest glare on the image.

We need to use approx half sheet size labels, and will be printing 100 - 500 labels per day, but that could be up to 500 different images, one per label.

Would you recommend a color laser printer, an inkjet printer or a label printer for this?

And what type of labels? Weather proof, matte, vinyl? Would you coat these for longevity? Sheets or rolls?

The printer itself doesn’t need to be too inexpensive as we have a decent budget, but the labels and ink need to be economical as we will be doing so many with high saturation. I don’t mind spending more up front for the printer if it means we spend less on toner in the long run.

What are your thoughts? Does anyone have a printer they currently use that they love and would be perfect in this situation?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. I’m getting lost in the plethora of mixed (and often biased) printer reviews out there!

Myra
#2 Posted : 7/9/2018 11:17:49 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Thanks for your inquiry. Based on the detailed description of your application I'd probably lean towards purchasing a color laser printer. Laser printing is inherently more durable when compared to desktop inkjet printing and the print economy over time should be better as well.

I've had a ton of success with the HP LaserJet series over the years. Most recently, I've been using the HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw and HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dn printer models. Both printers have been tested extensively across a wide variety of our laser compatible label materials. They're capable of producing high quality images with vivid color reproduction that should be well suited to the needs of your specific project.

Our weatherproof polyester laser material would probably be the best choice for your application. This white material features a slight sheen but is not considered to have a high-gloss finish. It will hold up extremely well to heavy handling and even moisture. You can view more information about the weatherproof polyester laser material at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels...lyester_laser_labels.htm

If you're using the weatherproof polyester material you likely won't need to apply an additional coating, but there are some options available if you decide you'd like to ensure longevity on the printed labels. One option would be using a clear coat protective spray on the printed label sheets before applying them to your product. You can view our guide on applying an overocoat spray at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels...label-overcoat-spray.htm

Alternatively, you could apply a clear gloss label over your printed labels. This would essentially be the equivalent of applying a laminate to your printed labels. If you were interested in going this route we'd recommend our clear gloss laser label material. You can view more information on this product at the following link:

https://www.onlinelabels...l_clear_laser_labels.htm

It's important to note that you won't necessarily need to apply any type of protective coating to a weatherproof label material due to the inherent durability of the product. Applying a protective coating is definitely optional, but something you may want to consider due to your desire for the game to be passed down for generations to come.

We'd be happy to send you samples if you'd like to take a look at the label materials that I mentioned above. You can enter a free sample request by visiting the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.../SamplesSelectItems.aspx

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let me know.
#3 Posted : 7/12/2018 7:28:26 PM(EST)
Myramit

United States

Thanks, Josh.

This is exactly the info I needed. I have ordered some samples, and am in the process of buying an HP Printer.

I'm sure I'll have lots of additional questions as soon as we start production in a couple of weeks.

Cheers, Myra
#4 Posted : 7/13/2018 3:16:11 AM(EST)
crystawatson

United States

Thanks, Josh.

this will also helps me.