Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 12/5/2018 12:58:04 AM(EST)
ehamel3808

United States

I purchased these thinking they would hold up to frequent handling on essential oil roller bottles since they're intended for chapstick tubes and claim to be weather proof (I didn't expect perfection, but SOME moisture resistance was expected) but so far I've had NO luck. Even if i can get it to print decent (in low quality to use less ink to reduce smudging it's very pixelated/blurry but I think I just don't have the right settings) the labels themselves get STICKY with just normal moisture in my hands. I've tested them with NO ink, so it has nothing to do with printing. If I have even a little moisture on my hands and hold the bottle with the label it literally sticks to my fingers. More than a little (and I'm talking sweat moisture) and it sticks, smears and looks terrible. What am I missing?? Again, the labels get sticky and show finger print marks with slight moisture even before I print.
#2 Posted : 12/5/2018 1:27:41 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
ehamel3808 -

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing and I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can. The sticky feeling and the ink smearing are totally unrelated issues, as you probably realized when you felt the stickiness on the label sheet prior to printing.

The ink smearing issue should be resolved by adjusting the material type setting within your print options. You mentioned that you had tried reducing the quality setting in an effort to output less ink onto the sheet, but have you tried changing the material type setting? Typically, when printing on the weatherproof gloss inkjet material using the photo or glossy setting will provide the best results. With the correct material type selected you should be able to print while using the normal quality setting rather than the draft or lower quality setting, resulting in more vibrant and higher quality prints without the smearing issues that you've encountered to this point.

Unfortunately, the stickiness that you're feeling when touching the labels with a damp hand is a known characteristic of the weatherproof gloss inkjet material. When we first discovered the slightly tacky feeling of the material when damp we reached out to the supplier of the glossy top coating and inquired about why it may be occurring. They informed us that the glossy top coating consists of a type of silica pigment that is highly absorbent, allowing for quick distribution and absorption of ink without smearing or smudging. This type of top coating is absolutely necessary in maintaining an attractive, high-gloss look that remains durable even after ink is applied to the surface of the sheet. Unfortunately, the trade-off is that the silica pigment top coating does result in some tackiness when introduced to moisture. The tackiness that occurs is not indicative of a damaged label and will not result in any kind of ink transfer onto the hands. Once the label has dried, the tackiness goes away.

We do offer a weatherproof matte inkjet material that does not feature the silica pigment found in the glossy top coating. This material does not have the high gloss appearance of the weatherproof gloss material, but will not feel sticky when touched with a damp hand either. If you'd like to receive samples of the weatherproof matte inkjet material please just let me know and I'll be happy to have a few sheets mailed out to you right away.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let me know.
#3 Posted : 12/5/2018 2:17:22 PM(EST)
ehamel3808

United States

Yes, I have used the photo paper setting as well and all the text is shadowed it seems, not sure why this is happening (it doesn't happen when I wasn't using the photo paper or lower quality settings but then of course the ink smeared).

And while the tackiness doesn't mean ink transfer or smearing, you still see a mark of finger prints on the image and it collects dust and dirt so it does affect the quality of the label. If this is "to be expected" then this needs to be clearly stated in the product description. I put these on products that I sold and now have horrible quality labels out there on my products. Ideally I'd like a refund as I've now wasted so much time and energy and ink trying to get these to work as advertised only to learn that this issue is as expected and unresolvable.
#4 Posted : 12/5/2018 2:48:45 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear that the product won't work out for you. Our customer service team will be happy to assist you with a refund. You can reach them directly by dialing 1-888-575-2235 or by sending a support ticket at the link below:

https://secure.onlinelabels.com/Support/SupportRequest.aspx

If you would like to try the weatherproof matte inkjet material you can request free samples by visiting the following link:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/General/SamplesSelectItems.aspx