Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 12/9/2013 11:58:19 PM(EST)
coolj

Hi! I have just ordered Online labels for a big project, but am worried that I'm not going to be able to accomplish this task. We are adding botanical name plates to the orchid collection at USF Botanical Gardens. We have previously used a lable maker with clear glossy tape and white letters adhered to a black background. It is a bear of a job. I am hoping to be able to make these name plates at home, at my leisure, using clear, gloss labels and my inkjet printer. I tested on dark paper and no words were visible when selecting WHITE as a font color. I am so disappointed. Is there some option I need to click on? I'm using an HP Photosmart 5520. Any help would be truly appreciated! Thanks in advance. coolj
#2 Posted : 12/10/2013 11:21:27 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Unfortunately, printing white ink is not an option with any standard desktop printer (laser or inkjet). On any standard printer, white will just print as no color. When you see labels that have white printed on them they are being done on higher end printing equipment such as a label printing press.

The other issue you will have to deal with is that standard laser printer toner and inkjet inks are not opaque. The color behind the label will show right through the label effectively. If you have a dark background behind the clear label it will make light colors look muddy or dark in most cases. That is why it is best to use a light color background against a clear label.

The only way that I know of to get around this issue is to have your labels professionally printed and have the label company lay down a white under print layer on the printing press.

Consolidated Label has an excellent video explaining this issue.

http://www.consolidatedl...rprint-for-clear-labels/
#3 Posted : 12/10/2013 11:34:50 PM(EST)
coolj

Thank you so much dcarmany for your quick, concise and thoughtful reply. You explained it perfectly and the video was an added extra. Since I have already purchased the labels, and have my heart stubbornly set on doing this on my computer, I guess I just have to change the color of my background...and move on LOL. Thanks a bunch! Coolj
#4 Posted : 2/25/2019 2:04:49 PM(EST)
epearlman

United States

For others considering clear labels, check out this FAQ with photo examples of designs against various backgrounds and containers:
https://www.onlinelabels...5&ReturnToCategory=1

Erin Pearlman, PR Coordinator