Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 11/30/2017 4:28:59 PM(EST)
Lilytoes

United States

I sell hydrosols on ETSY and use Dark blue amber glass.
I thought it would be lovely to have light colored text against the dark blue glass with a clear label.
Can this reasonably be achieved using an HP desktop inkjet printer? If white can't be used, what about say light yellow or light blue text? Would it show up well
against a dark blue amber glass bottle?

Thank you -
Angela
#2 Posted : 12/1/2017 9:28:20 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Unfortunately, printing white ink is not an option with any standard desktop printer (laser or inkjet). On any standard printer, white will just print as no color. When you see labels that have white printed on them they are being done on higher-end printing equipment such as a label printing press.

The other issue you will have to deal with is that standard laser printer toner and inkjet inks are not opaque. The color behind the label will show right through the label effectively. If you have a dark background behind the clear label it will make light colors look muddy or dark in most cases. Your light blue and yellow will not likely show up well. That is why it is best to use a light color background against a clear label.

We offer to print on our clear labels as a service, but we don't currently have the option for white underprint. The only way that I know of to get around this issue is to have your labels professionally printed and have the label company lay down a white underprint layer on the printing press.

Consolidated Label has an excellent video explaining this issue.

https://www.consolidatedlabel.com/label-videos/white-underprint-clear-labels/

Let me know if this information is helpful.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#3 Posted : 12/1/2017 5:18:59 PM(EST)
Zgal

United States

When I find myself with this type of issue,
I use the white or lighter colored font but then I also outline the font with a darker color to define it. I hope this helps.

Edited by user Friday, December 1, 2017 5:20:05 PM(EST)  | Reason: added one word for clarification purposes

#4 Posted : 12/2/2017 12:33:39 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lilytoes Go to Quoted Post
I sell hydrosols on ETSY and use Dark blue amber glass.
I thought it would be lovely to have light colored text against the dark blue glass with a clear label.
Can this reasonably be achieved using an HP desktop inkjet printer? If white can't be used, what about say light yellow or light blue text? Would it show up well
against a dark blue amber glass bottle?

Thank you -
Angela

Angela,
I think it is going to be very challenging to get our clear labels to look good when applied to a dark blue amber glass. I think the label is likely going to be very difficult to read after printing and applying to the bottle. I recommend testing. We are happy to send you samples of our clear labels for testing with your printer and on your product to see if you are able to create the effect that you desire. You can fill out our sample request form at https://www.onlinelabels.com/samples.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#5 Posted : 2/25/2019 2:07:11 PM(EST)
epearlman

United States

For anybody in a similar situation, the following link contains photos that may help -- they show printed, clear labels against various backgrounds and containers:
https://www.onlinelabels.com/Support/FAQDetailedAnswer.aspx?QuestionID=303&CategoryID=15&ReturnToCategory=1

Erin Pearlman, PR Coordinator