Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 10/9/2019 12:09:27 AM(EST)
Royal352

United States

I am having trouble figuring out why the edges of my waterproof inkjet labels are coming out with abrasive, white edging. My bleeds are exceeding the label edges by a good amount, so it isn’t a margin issue. I am using a Cannon Pixma Pro 100 and have tried several of the glossy media types. I have also made sure the quality is set to standard (lowest option) with no avail. Even when the edges do happen to print without abrasive edges, they still have a minor white border that our older labels (printed by Avery) do not. See photo.

Any ideas???Label issue
#2 Posted : 10/9/2019 5:01:11 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Royal352 -

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing. We're currently investigating and should have additional information for you tomorrow after we finish testing some different lots of the weatherproof gloss inkjet material with a full black background color applied.

I'll respond to this thread with details as soon as I have them.
#3 Posted : 10/9/2019 8:45:14 PM(EST)
Royal352

United States

Thanks!

I am about out of labels to test, so looking forward to any advice I can get.
#4 Posted : 10/10/2019 9:56:32 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Royal352 -

I've tested a few different material lots of the OL125WI product with a full black background and have not been able to duplicate the issue to this point. I'm using a Canon PIXMA TS9120 with the Glossy Photo Paper media type setting and the Standard print quality setting. The edges all the way around the label come out of the printer with a nice consistent black edge. I've attached a photo of one of the printed test labels on a container.

It's possible that there was a manufacturing issue with the batch of label stock you received. We no longer have any of the stock you received on hand, so I'm unable to confirm. I'm going to send out replacement sheets from the material lot that I used to print the label in the photograph. I'll include a few additional sheets for testing as well. I'd just recommend using settings similar to the ones listed above.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
File Attachment(s):
OL125WI-test.jpg (276kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
#5 Posted : 10/10/2019 10:05:43 AM(EST)
Royal352

United States

Thank you, I will definitely give them a shot and post the results. Like I mentioned, it’s happening on most of the labels, but not all so maybe the labels are the issue. I’m almost wondering if they might be dusty on the edges? I’ll check that out later tonight too. I am using a glossy photo type with the standard setting as well, but I did forget to mention that I am also printing as borderless letter because of the margin limitation on regular US Letter. Not sure if this makes a difference. These are the 4x2 inch labels.

Shan
#6 Posted : 10/10/2019 10:37:29 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Shan -

I just ran a few sheets using the borderless printing option and it did not appear to have any adverse effect on the solid print at the edges of the labels.

If you suspect that the sheets themselves have any dust or debris then running a microfiber cloth across the surface and sides of the sheets may help. Our quality team is good about quarantining product that has any kind of debris or visual defects - we rarely see those types of issues make it out into the wild. I've confirmed that the batch of material that is being sent today is clean and printing properly, but if the sheets are stored in an area where dust my accumulate it's definitely not a bad idea to check.

One additional thing to consider is running a cleaning cycle on your printer model. The print head and nozzles have a tendency to become clogged over time, and that can definitely contribute to print quality issues as well. I was able to locate detailed steps on Canon's website for running cleaning cycles on your printer model:

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/PRO-100S%20series/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-c_cleaning.html

If you haven't run a cleaning cycle recently I'd definitely give this a shot as well.

We've got the replacement sheets and some additional test sheets on their way. If any other questions come up please just let us know.
#7 Posted : 10/13/2019 11:14:39 PM(EST)
Royal352

United States

After cleaning the head and trying the new labels, I’m still suffering the same issue. It’s only ever one side. I have no idea what’s going on with them. https://cdn.shopify.com/...E-5AEB74EF0E67.jpeg?1199
#8 Posted : 10/14/2019 8:51:43 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Shan -

Thanks for the information. I'm going to continue researching this issue. Knowing that you're only seeing the effect on one side of the sheet is helpful. If I'm able to locate any additional information that can potentially resolve the problem I'll definitely let you know.

I sent some additional test sheets along with the replacements you received. Hopefully the extra sheets will allow you to run out your entire print job in the meantime.
#9 Posted : 10/14/2019 10:14:04 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Shan -

I ran out to our warehouse to check the die we used to cut the most recent batch of the product you received and I noticed some unusual adhesive buildup isolated to one side of the die. We ran some additional sheets of the product using a clean die.

Based on the photos you've attached I was not able to duplicate your issue using my printer set up, but looking at the new sheets I did notice a slightly sharper, better defined die cut on the side of the die where the adhesive had built up previously.

The new sheets printed great for me, but the previous batch I sent looked fine on my end as well. I'd like to send another small batch of the newest sheets to see if they resolve your problem. I believe that they will based upon our finding the adhesive buildup on the previous tooling.

The new batch of sheets will be sent out this afternoon. Please let me know how they work for you once you've received them.
#10 Posted : 10/14/2019 10:29:13 AM(EST)
Royal352

United States

You guys are outstanding. I will further inspect the sheets for the build up as well and let you know what I find.
#11 Posted : 12/7/2019 9:17:57 PM(EST)
rossegan

United States

Great info thank you very much I've just been reading everything from the sidelines that's very helpful.