Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 11/13/2019 11:22:50 PM(EST)
SusanC

United States

I have been using weather resistant matte white labels for my ink jet printer on products like baby greens in clamshells, but find that the ink starts to run if the packages are exposed to a humid environment like a refrigerator. I'm guessing I need to upgrade to a color laser printer, but I see there are numerous label material options like vinyl, polyester and gloss. What would be the most waterproof option to ensure that the ink doesn't run? I am also interested in getting a more professional looking print quality.
#2 Posted : 11/14/2019 8:01:21 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
SusanC -

Before deciding to purchase a new printer there are a couple things you can try that may improve the performance and durability of the Weatherproof Matte Inkjet labels that you're currently using.

Have you tried adjusting the settings on your inkjet printer at all? Changing the material type setting to a Photo or Glossy option can dramatically improve the durability of the print in contact with moisture. The Weatherproof Matte Inkjet material is routinely used in refrigerator applications, but making that adjustment to the settings may be necessary to achieve the optimal results.

Another option would be to apply a protective overcoat spray like Krylon Preserve-It. This type of spray can be purchased at most hobby and hardware stores and will provide additional durability to printed projects that are intended for use in consistent contact with moisture. You can view additional details on applying the spray to your printed label sheets at the article linked to below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/articles/how-to-make-labels-waterproof.htm

If you do decide you'd rather purchase a laser printer then I'd recommend our Weatherproof Polyester Laser material. It's incredibly durable in direct contact with moisture and capable of producing very high quality, professional looking prints. If you'd like to try a few sheets of the material before placing an order you can request a sample at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/general/SamplesSelectItems.aspx

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.