Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 7/9/2020 8:27:25 PM(EST)
Royal352

United States

So we have been printing labels for quite awhile and ran into a print quality issue where a long white streak is being left on our label sheet, as well as pretty extreme ghosting. We have been stumped with this for weeks and are on the verge of giving up with HP. Things that we’ve tried:
1. Every paper type possible (Cardstock glossy, photo matte 200g, labels etc)
2. Contacting HP support, and eventually replacing the entire unit with a new one with no avail.
3. Printing from USB in case there was an issue from the computer standpoint.
4. Upping the fuser temp and switching trays + manual feeding
5. Factory resetting the computer and acrobat.

As I mentioned, we were once getting excellent results and with no changes being made, the issue just appeared out of no-where on both machines. I think I may actually go crazy with this thing. Any help at all would be appreciated! See photo

Printer model: laserjet enterprise MFP M577

#2 Posted : 7/10/2020 11:38:08 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issues that you're experiencing. I haven't had an opportunity to use the exact same printer model that you're using, but I was able to locate the manual online. I'm happy to provide some additional suggestions that will hopefully resolve the problem for you.

It sounds like you've already exhausted your options in terms of paper type settings. This is normally the first thing we recommend checking. I'd suggest sticking with a setting like glossy photo paper or labels after trying the additional recommendations listed below.

According to the manual, the printer model you're using has a function available from the control panel that lets you check the health of the consumable or replaceable supplies within the printer model. This includes the toner cartridges, but may also include other parts such as the transfer belt and fusing unit as well. To access this report you would select "Manage Supplies" from your printer's control panel and then "Print Supplies Status". This will print up a status report that shows the relative health of the various replaceable printer parts. Considering you've tried a new printer model after speaking with HP, this is not likely to be the issue, but it's certainly worth checking just to be sure that all parts are in good working order.

Running a cleaning cycle on the printer is something you should definitely try too. During the printing process paper, toner, and dust particles can accumulate inside the printer and can cause print-quality issues such as toner specks or spatter, smears, streaks, lines, or repeating marks. Printing full color backgrounds at large volumes can exacerbate these types of issues and require the cleaning cycle to be run more frequently. To access the cleaning cycle for this printer model you'll need to select "Device Maintenance" from the control panel and then "Calibration/Cleaning". From this new menu you should choose the "Cleaning Page" option. The cleaning process takes a few minutes, but it should help remove and debris and excess toner that builds up when frequently printing full background colors. The troubleshooting section of the printer manual also mentions running the "Full Calibration" option from this same menu as a possible solution for print quality issues, so while you're in there you may want to do that as well.

You can check out the printer manual that I pulled this information from at the link below:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04647409

Hopefully one of these troubleshooting techniques will help resolve the issue you're experiencing.
#3 Posted : 7/10/2020 2:31:14 PM(EST)
Royal352

United States

Thank you for the reply. We have done this, and I think we will just move to a new printer model, as we have a cheaper Learjet that prints fine, just not up to the quality we need so I think this model is just no good. Can you recommend a good laser printer that prints at high DPI as a replacement?

Thank you
#4 Posted : 7/13/2020 9:52:25 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I've had the most success using the HP Color LaserJet Pro series of printers. I've used the HP Color LaserJet Pro M252 and HP Color LaserJet Pro M452 as my primary laser printers for years now and they've always performed very well across all of our laser label materials. Both of these printer models are discontinued at this point, but the HP Color LaserJet Pro M255 seems to be very positively reviewed online. I've seen it on multiple lists detailing the best color laser printers you can buy in 2020.

I have access to multiple Brother laser printers as well, and they've always functioned well as general purpose office printers, but I have had some issues printing film-based weatherproof labels at larger volumes.

I haven't had the opportunity to use Canon's newer imageCLASS printer models, but I've seen some very positive impressions on them as well. If you decide to go this route I'd check the specifications and make sure you're looking at a model that offers color printing, as there do seem to be quite a few monochrome printers available in the imageCLASS series as well.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.