Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 1/9/2021 3:27:51 PM(EST)
KrisW

United States

I've been struggling to get my labels through tray 1 in my HP LaserJet Pro M404n. I've tested several types of label sheets and it looks to me like the wheel is struggling to pull in any labels where the bottom side is shiney or glossy. These labels don't seem glossy on the top, but do seem glossy on the bottom. This is causing each print to be different when I really need it to be accurate. Has anyone had any issues like this? Any thoughts on how I can get them to feed through or is it the glossy backside? Is there another weatherproof vinyl option that does not have a glossy back? Or maybe it's that I need a better laser printer. Any thoughts? I've tried adjusting the weight of the paper type to labels, to heavy weight to the max heavy weight. I have 4 days to return this printer. Worried I'm never going to get aligned labels.

Any help anyone can offer would be very much appreciated. Thank you! :)

Kristina
#2 Posted : 1/11/2021 9:39:20 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing. Regardless of the material type or printer model, some degree of shifting can be expected as the pages feed through the printer. This shifting is usually very minor, but can be somewhat more noticeable if you're printing close to the edge of smaller labels. I haven't had the opportunity to use the HP LaserJet Pro M404n, but I have tested the weatherproof polyester material in a variety of other HP LaserJet Pro models with very positive results.

Can you provide some additional details about the shifting and misalignment that is occurring? About how far off are the labels printing misaligned?

I was able to locate the manual for your printer model and there are some suggestions that may help resolve the issue you're experiencing.

- You mentioned Tray 1, which I believe is the manual feed tray. Try loading a single label sheet at a time if you're using the manual feed tray. This may be less efficient, but may help provide more consistent results.

- You should also try loading a small stack of blank sheets into Tray 2. I typically load from the drawer tray with most of my HP LaserJet printer models and have always been happy with the consistency and alignment.

- The paper type setting can be changed from both the control panel on the printer itself, and within the print settings on your computer. The printer manual specifies that you should make sure that the settings match for the best results. You mentioned trying some heavier paper type settings, which is definitely the correct step to take to improve the inconsistency you're experiencing. If you made that change within the print settings, please try updating the printer itself from the control panel.

- Try flexing the stack of sheets to improve printer feed. The manual suggests flexing rather than fanning, because fanning the sheets can introduce static electricity. Their instructions for flexing a stack of printable material can be found on page 84 of the manual, linked to below:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06177490

I hope some combination of these suggestions help. If you need any additional information please just let me know.

Edited by user Monday, January 11, 2021 10:24:36 AM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#3 Posted : 1/11/2021 10:25:03 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

As a quick follow-up, I've linked to our printer alignment guide:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/articles/printer-alignment-guide

This guide walks you through a lot of design-based issues that can assist with alignment inconsistencies. As I mentioned in my initial response, some slight degree of printer shift is unavoidable. This can be more prevalent on smaller labels that include a lot of information or have design elements that go all the way out to the edge of the labels. Making sure you're following the design guidelines listed above should ensure that you're receiving the best print output possible.
#4 Posted : 1/11/2021 12:41:47 PM(EST)
KrisW

United States

Thank you Josh,

I think I may have fixed the issue. Tray 1 (not sure if this is referred to as a manual feed), but it holds up to 100 pages. I put a stack of regular paper in this tray and then put my label sheets on top and things seemed to feed through easier now. I think having only 2-3 sheets on the tray, the wheels were searching or struggling to pull in the label sheets, perhaps because the back is glossier. It didn't struggle with pulling in regular copy paper when there was only 1-2 sheets in the tray. But either way, I'm hoping this is the solution. I ran through all my weatherproof polyester laser labels trying to test it, so I didn't have any additional to test. I did test it with my 2" square weatherproof polyester labels, but the backing on those seem to be slightly less glossy. I'm putting in another order today and once I get those I'll test and leave an update here.

Thank you,
Kristina

Edited by user Monday, January 11, 2021 12:54:39 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#5 Posted : 1/11/2021 1:32:46 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

I'm happy to hear that you may have found a solution. The manual I located made it sound like Tray 1 was the manual feed tray, but it sounds like it's actually the drawer tray based on your description. In that case, having the tray partially filled should assist the feeding mechanism in properly picking up the labels.

I've gone ahead and sent out some replacement sheets of the OL340LP so that you can test properly. If you need any additional information please just let us know. We'll be happy to help however we can.