Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 12/10/2017 8:55:22 AM(EST)
nutrithai

Australia

Hey everyone, i have asked quite a lot of people but i can't seem to get anywhere.. We have designed a beautiful label, we just want some silver highlights to come through on the borders etc. The hot foil stamp seems to be quite expensive so we have opted to go for printing onto silver foil and having some transparent places which should allow the silver to shine through. But how exactly do you set this up before sending the file to print shop.
Let's say we printed onto white paper, the places where you wanted white wouldn't have any ink as the paper would shine through. Printing on silver foil, however, is totally different. where you want white would be ink, so how do you let the printer know what areas to not ink so silver shines through. Hot stamp is easy because you just send another file that has 100K black areas and the printer knows where you want to stamp.
Obviously, it can be done because i see labels with silver areas everywhere, packets of chips for example, but i don't know how to set up the file so the printer knows what to do. Is there a colour code that you add to certain areas so the printer knows it will be transparent??

Thanks for any advise or direction '

Nicholas
#2 Posted : 12/11/2017 11:01:44 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
If you are trying to create the look you are seeing on packets of chips then the only way to achieve this is to have the labels professionally printed or use a printer that is specifically made for printing these types of labels. You won't be able to create that look with a standard desktop laser or inkjet printer. The labels on products you typical see in the grocery store or large retail establishments are normally pre-printed by a company that specializes label printing. Unfortunately, creating this type of label usually has some setup costs and the cost per label can be high if you don't require large quantities of labels.

Consolidated Label, a company that specializes in pre-printed custom labels, has a good video on to how to create the different foil label looks.

https://www.consolidatedlabel.com/label-articles/custom-foil-labels-video/

The company who you select to print the labels would specify how they want you to send them the artwork and you would work with them to explain where you want the foil to show through.

Black works well on foil designs because it is opaque, but other colors don't necessarily show true because the foil changes the color if you don't put a white ink layer under the color areas to block out the foil. In most cases the label printing company is adding a layer of white ink under the color layer to make the colors brighter so the foil doesn't show through except where there is no ink. If you don't have that layer of white under the ink colors, the foil can make the colors seem faded. There is normally a layer added to the artwork file that shows the white layer of ink. The label company will normally help with the final changes to the artwork to make sure everything is correct.

If you still want to go the route of buying blank foil label sheets from OnlineLabels.com and printing your own labels using your desktop laser or inkjet printer then I recommend that you stick to printing 100% black only on the foils since black is the only color from your printer that is going to be opaque (where the foil won't show through it). In your design, you would want to reverse out the text or areas where you want the foil to show through. Anywhere where there is white or no color in your design there would be no printing since your desktop printer will not print white.

We are happy to send you samples of our blank foil labels for testing in your desktop printer if you would like to fill out our sample request form at https://www.onlinelabels.com/samples.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#3 Posted : 2/25/2019 4:31:35 PM(EST)
epearlman

United States

Here's an example of our gold foil material used with color so you can see how your design might come out:

Color and black grayscale on gold foil label material

The original post for comparison can be found here:
https://www.onlinelabels...5&ReturnToCategory=1

Edited by user Monday, February 25, 2019 4:32:31 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

Erin Pearlman, PR Coordinator
#4 Posted : 10/8/2020 6:17:56 PM(EST)
SDOTP

United States

Do I need a laser printer to print black background on foil paper? I purchased the inkjet foil paper for my inkjet printer but the black background on my label is not defined, its gold-ish not black at all...barely.
#5 Posted : 10/9/2020 8:42:28 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SDOTP Go to Quoted Post
Do I need a laser printer to print black background on foil paper? I purchased the inkjet foil paper for my inkjet printer but the black background on my label is not defined, its gold-ish not black at all...barely.

You may be able to get a more dense black by adjusting the printer settings. You can try adjusting the settings in your media type settings in the printer dialogue box that pops up when you print. For some inkjet printers, there are options on how to print black. Process Black is a combination of color inks or toners to render black (cyan, magenta, yellow, and black -CMYK). This black depends on the mix and generally has a tint toward the most dominant color. Check the printer options and ensure you are printing true black and not a mix of colors to achieve black. Many manufacturers set the print driver default to process black which is a combination of colors to achieve black.

If you can provide some additional images and details on your printer model, we should be able to offer additional help.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#6 Posted : 7/19/2021 7:05:16 PM(EST)
JaiMom13

I am having the same issue. My labels have a black border and black words, but the black looks washed out. I changed my printer settings to black and white instead of colored, which made it a little darker, but now it's spotty. It almost looks as if it was wet. My printer is the HP office jet 5200 series. Do I need a laser printer to print good labels on foil paper?
#7 Posted : 7/20/2021 9:31:44 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JaiMom13 Go to Quoted Post
I am having the same issue. My labels have a black border and black words, but the black looks washed out. I changed my printer settings to black and white instead of colored, which made it a little darker, but now it's spotty. It almost looks as if it was wet. My printer is the HP office jet 5200 series. Do I need a laser printer to print good labels on foil paper?

Have you tried changing the paper type setting? Most inkjet printer models are set as default to print on plain copy paper. Adjusting the media type to a photo or glossy setting should provide better print results than what you're currently experiencing. The default paper setting can sometimes result in print that beads up or doesn't dry properly on specialty coated surfaces like our inkjet foils. One of the photo settings in your printer options should allow the ink to settle and then dry more consistently on this type of material.

I hope this helps. Please just let us know if you need any additional information.