Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 11/4/2021 6:32:54 PM(EST)
wickedsweet

United States

Please help, I am at a loss of what to do here and do not know where to troubleshoot because my results are so inconsistent.

I am printing using the OL291 template to print on OL291WG labels.

Sometimes the labels align correctly and sometimes they do not. When they are not aligned (about 60% of the time), they are shifted up by a lot, probably about a third of the image is cut off at the start of the label.

What's interesting is if I do a test print on regular printer paper, it prints correctly 100% of the time. I have attempted to change my printer setting to photo glossy paper (the only other option) and this did not correct the issue on the label paper.

I have tried making my image a little large to account for bleed. I do not think this is the issue at all, as the alignment is very off, not slightly off.

I have checked my printer's alignment and this is running successfully so I don't think that is the issue.

My printer paper tray is appropriately adjusted for the size of paper.

I do not know where to go from here because sometimes it prints fine and sometimes it doesn't. I am not changing anything when the template suddenly doesn't print correctly anymore. I will do something that seems to correct the problem and usually can only get 1-2 sheets printed correctly before they start misaligning again.

I am incredibly frustrated and have wasted so many sheets of label paper.
#2 Posted : 11/5/2021 1:50:26 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the alignment issues that you're experiencing. Troubleshooting inconsistent alignment can be a tough task. When alignment is off in a consistent manner, it's as simple as adjusting the margins on the design to account for the shift that is occurring. But when some sheets are printing with correct alignment and others are printing misaligned, making adjustments to the margins won't help reliably resolve the issue.

Misalignment usually occurs due to the material shifting as it feeds through the printer. Shifting is more common with thicker materials (labels, cardstock, etc.) than it is with plain copy paper. This is likely why you're seeing good alignment on the plain paper that you're testing with. Normally, adjusting the paper type setting to a heavier option will result in a slower feed through the printer, which tends to help with alignment issues caused by shifting. You mentioned in your post that you've already tried using the glossy photo paper setting, and that there are no other material options to try. There are a couple of other suggestions worth trying though that could potentially improve your results.

You mentioned using the printer paper tray. Does your printer model have a manual feed tray? Using the manual feed tray typically simplifies the feed path that the material must travel as it moves through the printer. This simplified feed path can definitely help resolve misalignment issues that are caused by shifting material. Not all printer models feature a manual feed tray, but if yours has one it's definitely worth trying.

You may also want to check the settings on your printer to see if there's an automated cleaning cycle. Buildup of debris on rollers and other areas within the printer can contribute to shifting material and misalignment as well. Running a cleaning cycle can sometimes help resolve those issues, especially when printing on heavier or specialty materials.

These are broad suggestions that we have seen positive results on in the past. If you'll respond with your printer model number, I'll be more than happy to locate the manual for your printer to see if there are any additional suggestions I can provide.