Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 12/21/2021 6:32:36 AM(EST)
JackrabitCoffee

We are changing things around and needing to add a printer. We print around 100 labels a week of OL857BK. That is a Kraft background and we are using black ink. We also print 10-15 labels of OL475WX in color. We are in growth mode and expect those numbers to grow by 25-50% over the next year. What kind of printer should I have for this? Someone told me an Primera LX500, but it looks to me like the labels are quite a bit more expensive for that and I'm not sure what the advantage would be for me. I'd love to hear some suggestions. Thanks!
#2 Posted : 12/22/2021 10:51:03 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Thanks for your inquiry. At the volumes you're anticipating, you really can't go wrong with any of the different printer technologies you've mentioned in your post.

Primera printers are inkjet printers that utilize label rolls rather than sheets. There is greater cost associated with Primera printers compared to standard desktop inkjet printers, but they do provide print quality and durability that exceeds the output of the more basic models. The print quality is comparable to professionally printed labels and the print is essentially waterproof. Primera printers are also popular for the ability to print on-demand. Using rolls rather than sheets means that you always have the option to print the exact number of labels you need for the job at hand, which can reduce waste over time. One limiting factor of Primera printers is the available material types. We currently offer white matte, white gloss, weatherproof white matte and weatherproof white gloss materials for Primera printers. Unfortunately, we do not offer a brown kraft material for Primera printers at this time.

If you're happy to continue printing on sheets, I'd probably recommend sticking with a desktop inkjet or laser printer.

Inkjet printers tend to have a lower upfront cost, and they're definitely suitable for the volumes you described in your post. I've had a ton of success using the Canon PIXMA series of printers with our label materials. I've used both the Canon PIXMA TS9120 and the Canon PIXMA TS6420, and both have routinely provided excellent results.

Laser printers usually have a higher upfront cost, but they tend to do better with print economy. While toner cartridges are more expensive compared to ink cartridges, you'll be replacing ink cartridges in an inkjet printer much more frequently than you'd be changing toner cartridges in a laser printer. If you expect your volume to continue increasing then laser may be a good choice for you. My favorite laser printers recently have come from the HP Color LaserJet Pro series. They've always provided excellent print quality and durability across our range of label materials.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#3 Posted : 12/23/2021 7:34:14 AM(EST)
JackrabitCoffee

Thanks Josh!
#4 Posted : 1/1/2022 6:17:14 PM(EST)
Trish@BoredtoBrilliant

United States

Quote:
Inkjet printers tend to have a lower upfront cost, and they're definitely suitable for the volumes you described in your post. I've had a ton of success using the Canon PIXMA series of printers with our label materials. I've used both the Canon PIXMA TS9120 and the Canon PIXMA TS6420, and both have routinely provided excellent results.

So I followed the herd and bought an ecotank Epson this weekend and I literally HATE it. I'm returning it to Best Buy tomorrow, and am planning to purchase a Canon per the recommendations here. I want something that doesn't take forever to print, but I want true crisp vibrant color for my product labels. I currently have a Brother 3170CDW laser workhorse that I love, but it is finally giving up the ghost, and I don't want to repair it. (It's four years old)

Are any of the Pixma's faster at printing? The epson was like watching paint dry.... Should I go back to a laser? My biggest issue is that I ordered about $400 worth of gloss inkjet labels that will be here Tuesday and I know they are useless with a laser printer.... Doggone it, I'm never that impulsive. I wonder what my best option in the under $1000 range is? I like the sound of the Canon Pixma Pro-100 or Pro-200, but just not sure if it's necessary for Slime kit labels and 6x9 kids booklets that I can have printed locally for cheap.

Thoughts? I know I'm going to miss a laser... Just not sure what to do! Love the thought of 13x19 media.
#5 Posted : 1/3/2022 9:33:17 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Trish@BoredtoBrilliant Go to Quoted Post

So I followed the herd and bought an ecotank Epson this weekend and I literally HATE it. I'm returning it to Best Buy tomorrow, and am planning to purchase a Canon per the recommendations here. I want something that doesn't take forever to print, but I want true crisp vibrant color for my product labels. I currently have a Brother 3170CDW laser workhorse that I love, but it is finally giving up the ghost, and I don't want to repair it. (It's four years old)

Are any of the Pixma's faster at printing? The epson was like watching paint dry.... Should I go back to a laser? My biggest issue is that I ordered about $400 worth of gloss inkjet labels that will be here Tuesday and I know they are useless with a laser printer.... Doggone it, I'm never that impulsive. I wonder what my best option in the under $1000 range is? I like the sound of the Canon Pixma Pro-100 or Pro-200, but just not sure if it's necessary for Slime kit labels and 6x9 kids booklets that I can have printed locally for cheap.

Thoughts? I know I'm going to miss a laser... Just not sure what to do! Love the thought of 13x19 media.

Inkjet printing is inherently slower than laser printing just due to the fact that the ink drying to some extent is part of the process as the material feeds through the printer. I can't think of an inkjet printer that would provide comparable speeds to a laser printer while still providing crisp, vibrant colors. Using draft mode on most inkjet printers will significantly speed up the process, but at the cost of print quality.

I haven't had a chance to use the PIXMA Pro models myself, so I can't say how the print speed on those will compare to the Epson EcoTank that you are returning. I have a couple basic Canon PIXMA models and in my opinion they do tend to print faster compared to the EcoTank models that I've used, but still not nearly as fast as the average laser printer.

If print speed is an important factor for you, then you may want to consider sticking with a laser printer. Newer laser printer models are capable of providing excellent, near-photo quality prints with very vibrant colors. I've had a ton of success using the HP Color LaserJet Pro series of printers for applications that require high quality color output. You may want to see if a local retailer will allow you to test print with a floor model to ensure the print quality meets your expectations, but I've been very pleased with the results overall.

If you do decide to go back to laser printing, you can return the inkjet material that you've purchased for a full refund and place a new order for laser compatible material. You can initiate a product return by visiting the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/support/returns

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.