Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 6/29/2023 6:11:28 PM(EST)
gsidoo

Hi, I recently purchased some Weatherproof Silver Polyester Laser labels and was hoping for some recommendations on a good monochrome laser printer to print on this material. I'm hoping not to spend too much on this purchase, but it is really important for my business that the print quality is good, so I'd definitely be willing to up my budget to make sure that is the case.

I was looking at the Brother HL-L2320D Monochrome Laser Printer as a budget option, but I've heard mixed things on here about the brother laser printers for labels. So I would also consider something like the HP Laserjet Pro 3001dwe Wireless Black & White Printer if you guys think it would get me better print quality.

I'm super new to label printing so those are just some ideas I came up with, but I'm definitely open to other options as well.

Thanks!
#2 Posted : 6/30/2023 8:35:06 AM(EST)
Jessica

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thank you for reaching out to us! Although we have not tested every printer model, we have discovered that our materials are compatible with many popular printers from manufacturers such as Hewlett-Packard, Epson, and Canon. This is also supported by positive feedback from our customers.

Since the Weatherproof Silver Polyester Laser is a film-based stock with a brushed silver finish, you'll want to consider a printer that can handle specialty materials. The Brother HL-L2320D appears to have a budget-friendly price, but the specifications listed for this model on Brother's site suggest it only supports standard paper-based materials. Looking at the HP Laserjet Pro 3001d, this model lists film and glossy materials as some of the media types that can be used.

I would recommend researching and comparing the specifications as well as additional features and customer reviews of both printers to determine which one would best meet your needs and budget.

I'm here to help answer any other questions you may have. You can also reach our Customer Support Team at 1-888-575-2235.
#3 Posted : 6/30/2023 12:42:13 PM(EST)
gsidoo

Thanks for the reply Jessica!

Sounds like something from the laser jet pro line could be a good option. Also good to know about specialty material compatibility since I hadn't considered that initially but it sounds like a must for my purposes.
#4 Posted : 7/6/2023 2:56:41 PM(EST)
gsidoo

So I think I am actually going with a HP LaserJet Pro M182nw Color printer as I found a good deal on one and the color printing is a nice bonus, but I noticed that in the specs for the printer on HP.com it lists glossy but not glossy film as an accepted media type.

List of specs for M182nw is: Paper (bond, brochure, colored, glossy, heavy, letterhead, light, photo, plain, preprinted, prepunched, recycled, rough), transparencies, labels, envelopes, cardstock

Compared to the specs for the previously discussed HP Laserjet Pro 3001dwe which lists glossy film as a accepted media type.

List of specs for 3001dwe is: Paper (Cut sheets, plain, glossy film, labels), envelopes, card stock, postcards.

So I just wanted to ask if based on the specs for the HP LaserJet Pro M182nw it would be suitable for Weatherproof Silver Polyester label material?

Thanks!
#5 Posted : 7/6/2023 3:55:44 PM(EST)
Jessica

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thanks for following up! I understand your concerns so I took a look at HP's specifications and user guide for the Color LaserJet Pro MFP M182nw model. It does show the media/paper types you listed. While glossy film isn't listed under Paper, this model does accept transparencies which is typically a film-based material. We often recommend a transparency/transparencies setting when printing on our weatherproof film materials so this should be fine.

I also noticed that the specifications list the media weight as well. It does state that settings for postcards up to 175 gsm and HP Glossy paper up to 220 gsm can be found in the driver. With our Weatherproof Silver Polyester Laser (SP) rating at 171 gsm, the material should be able to feed through the printer. The user guide does suggest sending labels through the manual feed tray, however.

While I'm unable to test our material with this model, the specifications for paper handling and media weight look to be comparable to our Weatherproof Silver Polyester Laser stock.
#6 Posted : 7/6/2023 8:39:33 PM(EST)
gsidoo

Awesome thank you for the help!