Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 8/15/2023 12:50:21 PM(EST)
a2jc4life

Hi,

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I couldn't find the right search terms, apparently.

I'm trying to print on clear labels for the first time. I'm using an HP OfficeJet 8710 to print on the clear matte inkjet labels.

If I choose the "draft" setting the prints come out almost dry, but the color is dull. And I still have the ink come off on my fingers if I press on it, and it smears if swiped (even 15-20 minutes after printing.)

If I choose the "better" (normal) setting, the color is as expected, but the ink is super-wet on the surface.

(I started out with "best," which was obviously a mistake. lol)

So my question is twofold:

1) Will the ink that's wet (on either print) ever dry? Or if it's wet now should I expect it to just be permanently sitting atop the surface?

2) Is there any way to balance the color/wetness issue? The draft print is the closest one to viable in terms of drying, but the color is really missing its pop.
#2 Posted : 8/15/2023 3:59:26 PM(EST)
Jessica

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the print quality issue, and I am happy to help resolve this for you. Ink smearing or smudging is more commonly seen when printing on specialty papers with default printer settings. Since the Clear Matte Inkjet (CJ) is a synthetic, polyester-based material, you'll want to adjust the printer's paper/media type setting. For your printer model, I recommend trying Other Glossy Inkjet Papers or Other Photo Inkjet Papers. One of these options, coupled with the "better" (normal) quality setting, should improve the output and greatly reduce any needed drying time without sacrificing the color quality.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
#3 Posted : 8/15/2023 7:17:39 PM(EST)
a2jc4life

I thought I'd put that in the original post, but apparently I forgot to mention that my paper setting on the printer was "Specialty Paper, Glossy." (That appears to be the only gloss-surface option available.)
#4 Posted : 8/16/2023 8:55:21 AM(EST)
Jessica

Thank you for confirming the paper type used. If Specialty Paper, Glossy is still causing the ink to smear, see if one of these options improves the output: Other Glossy Inkjet Papers or Other Photo Inkjet Papers. Those should be listed under the Paper Type drop-down menu. If you can't find these under the Paper/Quality tab in the print dialog box, go to the Printing Shortcuts tab and click on the option for Factory defaults, then choose from the Paper Type menu.

Please let me know if these options don't resolve the issue or if you're unable to find them. I'm happy to continue troubleshooting with you.
#5 Posted : 8/17/2023 2:11:33 AM(EST)
a2jc4life

Well, it seems like the prints are drying; they're just taking forever. (I understood they should need a full day to "cure," but expected them to be dry to the touch within a couple of hours.)

It took them more than a day to dry to the touch, so I've been a little nervous about handling them yet, but it looks like these might be successful.
#6 Posted : 8/17/2023 8:25:52 AM(EST)
Jessica

Thank you for checking in. I'm happy to hear that the suggested settings have improved your print results.

While most inkjet printer manuals do recommend waiting for 24 hours, we have found that waiting for just a few hours is sufficient with the suggested settings. I wanted to also mention that our Product Testing Team recommends using official ink cartridges from your printer's manufacturer. Using third-party, recycled, or remanufactured inks can potentially cause issues related to smearing and print durability as well.

If the print is not yet dry to the touch, please let me know.
#7 Posted : 8/17/2023 7:19:10 PM(EST)
a2jc4life

I noticed when I printed additional labels today they seemed to be behaving better right from the start, which I found weird.

Y'all, I managed to feed the label sheets for all. three. of my test copies into the printer upside-down and I printed on the backing. I have no idea how I managed that, because it's obvious to me which side is the front, but no wonder they didn't dry properly!

They behave as expected when you use them correctly.
#8 Posted : 8/18/2023 9:10:36 AM(EST)
Jessica

Thank you for taking the time to share those details. I'm glad to hear you were able to identify the issue and achieve proper prints.

I'm sorry if identifying the top and bottom of the label sheets caused any confusion or frustration. To make it easier, we package our label sheets face-up. If you need additional sheets due to testing, please let me know and I'll send them out right away.
#9 Posted : 8/19/2023 10:58:31 AM(EST)
a2jc4life

Thank you; that's a generous offer, but this was 100% user error.