Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 2/18/2021 6:39:41 PM(EST)
Hay Rose

United States

After I've printed on the clear gloss inkjet paper (OL 177) the ink will smear. I use an Epson XP 6100.
#2 Posted : 2/19/2021 10:12:46 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you've experienced and I'll be happy to assist however I can. I was able to locate the manual for your printer model online and there are a number of settings adjustments that should improve your print results:

- Adjust the paper type setting to a photo or glossy option. Most inkjet printers are set as default to print on plain white copy paper. A photo or glossy option will typically provide much more durable results on our clear inkjet materials.

- Reduce the print quality setting. If you've already adjusted the paper type setting, reducing the print quality can help resolve smearing caused by over-saturation of ink on the sheet.

- Enable the Thick Paper setting within the print options. This setting will reduce the print speed, which should allow the ink more time to properly set as it's being applied.

- Adjust the print density settings. Reducing the print density and increasing the ink drying time should help with smearing issues as well.

Typically, with this type of issue simply adjusting the paper type setting is enough to resolve the problem. I would definitely suggest trying that before moving on to the other suggestions.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#3 Posted : 4/1/2021 9:30:34 AM(EST)
leilahclaire

United States

I've been having this problem with the Weatherproof Matte OL177 as well. I have an Epson 3170 Inkjet. Love the paper, but it has to dry for a day or so..
#4 Posted : 4/2/2021 3:18:44 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Originally Posted by: leilahclaire Go to Quoted Post
I've been having this problem with the Weatherproof Matte OL177 as well. I have an Epson 3170 Inkjet. Love the paper, but it has to dry for a day or so..

Have you tried making any of the adjustments listed in my original response? Historically, Epson printers have had a tendency to output ink at a higher saturation compared to printer models from other manufacturers. As with any inkjet printer, some amount of drying time will be required. A full day is typically on the longer side of what we expect for drying time, but some printer manuals explicitly state that specialty materials will require up to 24 hours drying time.

In any event, the suggestions listed above should help reduce the drying time. The most important setting to adjust is the material type setting. If you're using a default or plain paper setting currently, you can dramatically improve the drying time by adjusting the material type to a photo or glossy setting.

Prolonged drying times are typically a result of over saturation, so if your printer has any settings for print density, saturation, or intensity reducing those options may improve your results as well. You could also try reducing the print quality setting, but usually once I've changed the material type setting to photo or glossy I find that the print quality setting doesn't usually need to be adjusted.

I hope this helps. Please just let us know if you need any additional information.