Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 1/9/2014 5:16:07 PM(EST)
KathyDV

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am currently using an HP Laserjet CP1525nw. It has been a decent workhorse of a laser printer, but I want to upgrade a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to stay under $1000, in reality $750 would be great and do not need it to do anything except print OnlineLabels labels - hahaha!

Am a Mac user, so HP or Epson usually work best and I have found Epson to be better for laser printers.

Any suggestions our tips would be appreciated.

Kathy
#2 Posted : 1/10/2014 11:42:10 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Kathy - I'll be happy to offer some recommendations regarding laser printers for use with our labels.

Based upon data we've received from customers who have completed our printer feedback surveys there are a few laser printer models that have been rated highly at your price point. Some of the most highly rated are listed below:

HP Color LaserJet 2605dn
HP Color LaserJet 4600dn
HP Color LaserJet 3600n
HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color

Unfortunately, there have been no recent survey results regarding Epson laser printers. I dug around a little bit and found that Epson primarily manufactures inkjet printers at this point, so that may be the reason for the lack of data. If you are interested in inkjet recommendations for Epson I will be more than happy to look into that for you.

It's important to note that the printer models listed above have not been tested in-house. The recommendations are based solely off of multiple positive survey results from our customer base. Speaking from experience, we do have an HP LaserJet Enterprise 500 Color M551 on-site that has performed very well across a wide range of material types. This printer also received glowing reviews from our customer base, and should fall within your price range at most retailers.

If you should require any additional information please just let me know. I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can!
 1 user thanked Josh for this useful post: KathyDV
#3 Posted : 1/12/2014 12:39:06 PM(EST)
KathyDV

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank ou so much...that is exactly what I was looking for. Googling laser printer recommendations just leads me to a bazillion link farm sites and Amazon's printer reviews are either love or hate. This is perfect!!! Off to go shopping!

Thank you again!

Kathy

#4 Posted : 1/12/2014 10:43:51 PM(EST)
Stick 'Em Up Labels

United States

That was a great question Kathy! It's exactly what I was just about to ask.

Josh - Right now I have a Brother laser printer which is not working well with your weatherproof labels. Have you tested the HP Laser Jet Enterprise 500 Color M551 with your weatherproof labels? If not do any of the other printers below work well with weatherproof labels?

Thanks,

Chris
#5 Posted : 1/13/2014 11:49:50 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Chris - Thank you for your inquiry. I have printed our weatherproof polyester laser material using the HP Laser Jet Enterprise 500 Color M551 on occasion, and I have always been pleased with the results. It's important to remember that with any laser printer model, making some adjustments to the printer settings may be required to achieve the best possible results when printing on labels as opposed to basic copy paper.

Depending on the design being printed, I have had the most success using the "labels" paper type setting, or one of the heavy paper options. Some trial and error may be required for the first few pages that you print, but once you find the setting that works best for your designs you should be all set.

If you need any further information please let me know. I'll be happy to assist in any way possible!
 1 user thanked Josh for this useful post: rgaskill
#6 Posted : 1/13/2014 12:56:24 PM(EST)
Stick 'Em Up Labels

United States

Thanks for the input Josh, The main issue I am having is around the edges of the labels. Every time I print I get a white splotchy/flaky look and when I peel the label it looks very bad. I have tried every setting on my printer from labels, glossy and even the thicker paper options but i still get the same results. I have even tried multiple print settings on my Mac and still no change.

It is kind of hard to explain but I did take photos of the problem. Is there a way to email the photos so you could get a better idea of what I am running into?

Thanks,

Chris
#7 Posted : 1/13/2014 2:38:44 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Chris - I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. There are hundreds of laser printer models on the market, and performance can vary significantly based on a number of different factors, including the material type you are using and the nature of the design that you are attempting to print. This can sometimes make finding the most effective combination of printer settings pretty tricky. If you have already exhausted all of your material type options you may want to consider adjusting the print quality settings as well. Reducing the print quality will generally decrease the toner output, while increasing the print quality should have the opposite effect. In addition, if your printer model has multiple feeding trays you may want to try feeding the sheets through a different tray to see if the printing results improve.

Arriving at the best combination of printer settings usually does require some trial and error, but if you are able to find settings that provide you with acceptable print quality it will save you the hassle of shopping for a new printer. Ultimately, if you do decide to shop for a new printer the HP Laser Jet Enterprise 500 Color M551 would be a solid choice based on my experience.

If you'd like one of our representatives to take a closer look at your specific issue, feel free to send an email to support@onlinelabels.com. Please attach your photographs and include the printer model information as well. One of our representatives will be happy to take a look into the issue and get back to you.
 1 user thanked Josh for this useful post: Stick 'Em Up Labels