Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 2/18/2014 10:09:33 AM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

I'm using one of your weatherproof opaque inkjet products, OL177WJ, to make labels for an electronic product. The label must be cut to exactly match a shallow recess in the top of the plastic product case. Despite this recess, however, I'm finding a slight curling at the edges of the label, days after it was applied. This may have to do with temperature changes because the case may have experienced cooling down to 45 degrees, and warming to the 80s, through a variety of humidity conditions. These were not extremes, however, and I will need the labels to be immune to these temps and hopefully beyond.

Another more likely culprit is that the plastic cases have a granular matte like finish, even inside the recessed area where the labels would go. In my opinion this is a bad choice on the part of the case manufacturer, but I can't change it. This finish probably makes it impossible to get really good surface contact to the adhesive, and of course there is only a limited amount of mechanical rubbing you'd want to do to press the printed label onto the surface..

So what would you recommend in a case like this? I thought of preparing the plastic case with a top coat of a Krylon gloss spray product. But that would fill in some of the recessed area and defeat my purpose, by exposing the label edges to handling. Maybe there is some kind of light adhesive I can add around the edges before pressing the label into place?
#2 Posted : 2/19/2014 10:10:19 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issue with your specific application. Despite the fact that our weatherproof matte inkjet material utilizes one of our more aggressive adhesives, it can still have issues when being applied to certain textured or curved surfaces. As a general rule of thumb, applying labels to a flat, smooth surface will usually lead to the best adhesive bond.

Since you're unable to make changes to the surface finish on your cases, applying additional adhesive may allow you to overcome this issue. Using craft glue on the edges of the labels, or even a very small amount of super glue, would likely resolve the problem. It will add some time to your application process, but should save you from having to source new cases.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:27:07 PM(EST)  | Reason: Clarification

#3 Posted : 2/19/2014 12:43:45 PM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

OK thanks! That's good to hear! I don't mind the slight extra time for now. I just wanted to make sure I'm choosing glue that is compatible, and won't attack either the existing adhesive or the label material itself.

Super glue probably would be a mistake, because any slight positioning error would be fatal.Craft glue sounds better. I'll let you know how it works out.

You really should ask the web designers to provide the ability to add photos to these messages. On several occasions I've wished I could illustrate an issue with a picture instead of 1000 words (LOL).
#4 Posted : 2/19/2014 1:32:37 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
For your specific purpose, craft glue probably would be the best bet. Definitely let us know how it works out for you.

If you are willing to consider a non-weatherproof label material there is another potential solution to your problem. Our aggressive white matte stock has a very strong adhesive that may hold better on your textured surface. Unfortunately, this stock is only available in a matte paper finish, but could be made more durable by using a clear label overlay or a protective spray like Krylon Preserve-It. If you are interested in testing samples of this material, you may submit a sample request by clicking on the link below:

http://www.onlinelabels..../SamplesSelectItems.aspx

I'll speak with our designers about the possibility of adding embedded images to posts. In the meantime, if you have an odd issue that would benefit from illustration by photographs, please feel free to submit a support ticket and attach your images by visiting the link below:

https://secure.onlinelab...port/SupportRequest.aspx

One of our representatives would be happy to review your images and get back to you.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:34:39 PM(EST)  | Reason: Clarification