Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
2 Pages«12
#21 Posted : 2/20/2014 5:18:55 PM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

Well thanks for the re-order on that OL177CL, and thanks for making it so painless to experiment to find the best product. My project is on hold for a few days, because my printhead just crapped out. But no worries... lexmark is super good on their warrantees, and a new one is coming.

So here's my only remaining concern. The label images on both the gloss and matte inkjet products look superb, though I like the gloss better. I assume it will be easier to get a good flush adhesion between the the clear layer and a gloss print, so thats what I'll try first. I'm only concerned now that it will be more difficult than i think difficult to get a perfect uniform laminate combination. If I'm unable, I'll have to go back to the Krylon coating, but it seems a true second layer would be best. So do you have any tips on how to do it?One hair or piece of lint trapped between the surfaces will obviously ruin the label, so I'll have to do it is the cleanest environment I can. But what about dust in the air, and what about air bubbles and gaps between the layers? Is there a suggested procedure or FAQ for doing this?
#22 Posted : 2/21/2014 6:16:36 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I don't really have a recommended method for applying the clear labels that will guarantee against the issues that you have mentioned. My biggest concern would be fingerprints on the adhesive side of the label being noticeable. You will have to try it out and see how it looks.

One option worth considering once your volume increases is to just have the labels pre-printed with the laminate already on the labels. At OnlineLabels.com, our pre-printed labels are not yet available with a laminate coating. We hope to offer this option in the near future.

Consolidated Label, could produce pre-printed weatherproof labels with a laminate on top. That may be a good option to consider. It will be more expensive, but it will definitely be a lot easier.

http://www.consolidatedlabel.com

Edited by user Tuesday, October 2, 2018 2:00:20 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#23 Posted : 2/24/2014 4:19:05 PM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

Well this is a little discouraging, because I've come so far and seem to be hitting some impossible obstacles. Recall that despite having various issues with weatherproofing, I have got what I call great visual results printing my device labels on both your matte finish and gloss finish inkjet weatherproof products. And considering that they jet black with text I and graphics, I honestly don't think any professional company could have gotten me better looking labels. I was concerned about adhesion at the edges, but have decided I can add a little craft bond at the edges if necessary.

So the final issue has been finding a way to protect the labels from extensive handling, since they are after all going to be part of handheld devices. I've now tried several different Krylon clear spray coatings. They all do protect well and I though this would be a viable solution. Unfortunately they all also seem to react with both the finish and the ink and after a while the jet black background seems to change into some shade of murky dark green.

The other thing I've been hoping would work is a home brewed lamination process, using your your clear OL177CL product to laminate the surface. But as I feared, it is impossible to get a 100% gap-less adhesion between the layers This isn't your fault... I've tried the same lamination with some actual Avery and Scotch products designed to do "self seal" lamination without a machine. maybe over white it wouldn't show, but over the jet black background, a close inspection always reveals a grainy final result, the result of little gaps too numerous to count. Pressing the final 2 layer label with various rounded tools helps some, but not enough.

So I only have one more thing up my sleeve to try. The local Office max says they can laminate sheets for me on just one side (as I'd want), and they say I'll likely get a better result having them laminate it in their machine. Well its worth a try, but it depends on one question. The machine based lamination process apparently applies heat. So how well do you think your weatherproof inkjet labels will stand up to the heat of a lamination machine?
#24 Posted : 2/24/2014 6:28:44 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Sorry to hear that the OL177CL isn't going to be clear enough to work as a laminate with your black background. I am not familiar with how Office Max's lamination process works. Most of the lamination machines put on a heavy plastic layer that is very rigid. I can't really comment on how it will work or look on your labels.

From a cost perspective, you may want to consider just going to pre-printed rolls of labels with a laminate. By the time you print onto the labels and have Office Max laminate, you may find that just buying pre-printed labels may be the best option. It will definitely be a lot easier.

Edited by user Tuesday, October 2, 2018 1:57:18 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#25 Posted : 2/24/2014 9:50:56 PM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

Well thanks. I may look at consolidated labels if I give up. Their pricing isn't as bad as some companies. For now, the labels I've printed using your products look too darn good for me to give up yet. I can't keep asking for samples, so I've ordered another 20 sheets, 10 each of the matte and a0 gloss weatherproof labels to experiment with. I guess I'm a die hard DIY person. I like to explore every avenue of getting a good result on my own, before i throw in the towel and pay a service to do it all for me. Unfortunately that means investing more time, but such is life. :-)

I'll let you know what happens either way. Might be helpful to others.
#26 Posted : 2/25/2014 8:50:57 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Thanks for the update. Let us know if we can help in any way.
2 Pages«12