Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
2 Pages12»
#1 Posted : 2/11/2014 11:51:18 AM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

I'm going to try using my lexmark all in one printer to make some labels fro some electronic projects. These labels are jet black with white text, and only about 2 inches square, and I'm planning to use the OL177WJ product, which is a blank (no cuttout) inkjet only, moisture proof product. I'd include a copy of the image but I guess i can't do that here.

Anyway, I first decided to do this after printing my label with this printer, just using default settings, on heavy stock plain white paper. I was extremely impressed that the black background was so consistent, and that there was absolutely no bleeding of the black into the white text areas. But I have no reason to think the default setting will be ideal for this product. The printing tips for this product say...

Adjust "Paper Type" to "Photo/Glossy" setting if test print is too light.
Adjust "Paper Type" to "Plain" setting if test print is too dark or there is too much ink.

Should I modify that considering there is so much black in the background?

Also, since the label is so small, is there any reason not to use the same sheet for multiple test prints, with the image positioned in different areas?

#2 Posted : 2/11/2014 3:56:48 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
This is a situation where you are going to have to test our product on few different printer settings to see what produces the best results for your design. We are happy to provide some sample sheets for testing if you would like to fill out our sample request form at the link below.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/samples

I would recommend that you try samples of the OL177WJ (matte waterproof inkjet) and the OL177WI (glossy waterproof inkjet) to see which of these products produces better results. Black ink is very dense so my concern with printing with this much ink saturation is whether the product will easily smudge / smear when it gets wet. When the top coating of our inkjet products gets too saturated with ink it is possible that some of the ink will not encapsulate (absorb) into the top coating. If this happens the labels will easily smudge / smear if they get wet.

Let us know how the testing goes. Thanks.
#3 Posted : 2/11/2014 5:48:30 PM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

Thanks. I had originally thought of covering finished label with something clear, like the old "Safmat" product made by by letraset. But I hate to have yet another layer to worry about punching holes in (for controls). I already have the matte finish samples, but it sounds like you're hinting the gloss finish might be a little more resitant to smudging? So could request a couple of gloss finish versions to try as well?

Also, would I be correct in saying that printing using a "glossy photo" setting probably uses LESS ink than a standard plain paper setting?

Worst comes to worst, if smudging is a problem, maybe I'll just pay for you folks to do the printing for me, using the laser version. I'm sure there would be no moisture related smudging then, correct?
#4 Posted : 2/12/2014 11:27:41 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

We have clear labels available. If you are still thinking about a clear overlay option, our CL product (gloss clear laser labels) may work well for that purpose. We also have customers who will use Krylon overcoat spray to help make labels more waterproof.

I did some quick research on whether the glossy setting lays down more or less ink. I didn't find a definitive answer on the topic. It sounds like it varies depending on the printer type, colors used in your design, and exact settings / options on the printer model.

I have asked our person who does R & D and product testing to do some further research on the topic. What type of printer are you using?
#5 Posted : 2/12/2014 11:56:53 AM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

Its a lexmark Pinaccle 901. I'd send you a screen shot of all the many print quality and media options, but this forum doesn't permit a direct image upload. I appreciate your tips, and wish there were some way to send you some files. Granted, things look a little different on a screen (RGB) then printed (CMYK), but at least you'd have a clear picture of what I'm trying to accomplish. I have a sneaking suspicion that the gloss-photo settings use less ink. Another thing I'm considering is a charcoal black, rather than a completely jet black background, to lower the ink density. I guess I'll just have to experiment.

Now you mentioned a gloss clear laser overlay. Since I wouldn't be printing on it, I'm not sure i understand why the product would specifically call out "laser". Will it work for ink-jet too?

In any case, it sounds like the need for a second layer might be another reason to consider the extra expense of sending you the artwork, and letting you print with laser, instead of my inkjet. This is a wireless remote control type of product, FYI, which has two parts... a larger receiver and a smaller hand held transmitter. Each will have its issues as far as wear and tear. the receiver is not likely to be handled a great deal, so moisture resistance is probably good enough. the transmitter though will get a lot of handling over time, so there I'm thinking that regardless of laser or inkjet, a top coating might be a very wise choice.

#6 Posted : 2/12/2014 3:12:51 PM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

Some findings, printing with the Lexmark Pinnacle Pro 901.

NOTE: printing on un-sectioned "Weatherproof Matt for Inkjet", product OL177WJ (not sure if the first is a letter "O" or a zero")

NOTE: The items printed were labels, to be used for labeling controls on a small electronic device, about 2" square. each label contained jet black background with white text of varying height, with characters from about 200 mils in height, down to around 50 mills. There was also a small multicolored image, as part of the product logo.

1) "Glossy photo" setting, quality set to "automatic"
This took the longest of all my trials, and definitely took the most ink. I could see the ink still wet after printing. After fully dry, I could see some bleeding of the black into the white text areas. Definitely NOT a good choice with this much black background.

2) "Ink Jet Paper" setting, quality set to "Best"
This took much less time to print, and the ink was apparently dry as soon as it was done. There was a slight amount of what I'd call "striping", meaning you could see on close observation the horizontal passes made by the print head. These became less apparent over time, but could still be seen in the right light. No bleeding though. Overall, pretty good result, but not stellar.

3) "CD/DVD label" setting, quality "Best"
This took about the same time to print, maybe slightly longer. I'd say the black was a little more dense, though not as much as the glossy setting. Perhaps some slight bleeding into the smallest white text, but just barely. Surprisingly, this setting also produced slight "striping", when views with a light reflecting off the page at an angle. Overall, pretty good result, but the more apparent stripping made it slightly worse than the Ink Jet paper setting in my opinion. At least for this application.

4) "Matte photo paper" setting, quality "BEST".
Hands down this was the clear winner, and so the last combination I tried. The time to print was about medium compared to the other settings I tried, but print after print, this setting produced good consistent black background with no hint of "stripping" in any light, clear white text with no bleeding at all, very good definition on the graphics, and no apparent build up of ink after the print was done.

I intend to allow these to sit at least overnight before attempting any tests to see how moisture resistant they are.Hope the above is helpful to someone else with a similar printer.

#7 Posted : 2/12/2014 5:01:16 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

That is excellent information. I definitely think this will be helpful to anybody who is using your similar printer model.

In most cases, the ink encapsulates into the top coating of the label stock almost immediately so it isn't necessary to let the ink dry overnight in order to see if it going to perform well when it gets moist or wet. With that much ink laid onto the sheet, I am definitely interested to see how your moisture tests go.

Since you are not printing onto the clear labels and would be strictly using them for over laminating, I recommended the clear gloss laser printable material because it is more durable (has waterproof properties). In addition, the clear gloss for laser printing is also less expensive than the clear gloss for inkjet printing.
#8 Posted : 2/12/2014 5:27:24 PM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

Darn... I just requested a few samples of the clear INKJET type. The one I requested did say "weatherproof". I also requested a few samples of the glossy inkjet, weatherproof white. I can see all these products have no moisture problem already. That "worst" print i made where the ink was so thick it bled into the white text and took minutes to dry? Its already passed what I'd call a 'wet white glove" test. But I am a little concerned still about durability. Because its a control panel, with a several buttons, there is going to be constant handling. I'm sure the micro-porous surface will hold the ink without it transferring to people's fingers. But I can see that the nice surface is easily scratched (or "scuffed" might be a better word" from finger and finger nail contact. Maybe the gloss version will be less susceptible to this, or at least hide it better. If not, then I'll have to go for the second layer of clear.

You mentioned some clear sprays I could also try for surface protection. I'll hunt for one of those and try that too.

thanks again for all the help.!
#9 Posted : 2/12/2014 5:39:28 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Do you have a sample number (check your confirmation email)? I am happy to add samples of the clear glossy labels for laser printing to your request if it hasn't already been sent out. They will work much better as over laminate. The top coating on the glossy clear inkjet labels can be a little sticky and also shows dirt / fingerprints pretty easily so it is not optimal for use as an over laminate especially in your situation.

The clear spray for waterproofing that we typically recommend is Krylon Preserve It. You can purchase it at most art / craft stores (like Michaels or JoAnn Fabrics).
#10 Posted : 2/13/2014 2:55:38 PM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

Sample Request #134528
#11 Posted : 2/13/2014 6:19:44 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

I wasn't able to add the samples to request #134528 before it was mailed out. I have gone ahead and entered a new request for you. The samples of the OL177CL will go out in tomorrow's mail. I sent a confirmation to your email address. You should receive them shortly.

Let us know how it goes.
#12 Posted : 2/14/2014 8:30:39 AM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

Thanks! I'll look for that krylon product too!
#13 Posted : 2/15/2014 3:06:24 PM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

Well I got the first set of samples today, which included the gloss finish version of the weatherproof white opaque labels (OL177WI). I printed a couple of labels with the same setting that worked well for the matte finish version on my Lexmark printer, and it looked good. At first glance I liked the appearance much better than the matte finish. But I very quickly realized that the product just doesn't bind the ink anywhere near as well as the matte finish version. Despite appearing dry, black ink would rub off on my finger pretty easily. So I waited a good hour for it to 'dry' before touching it again. Still no good. This product is horrible compared to the matte finish. and if I tried touching it with a wet finger, then I got a finger full of ink, and a total smear that completely ruined the label. Definitely not the slightest bit weatherproof.

I can't imagine they sent me the wrong product, though its hard to verify because beyond the cover sheet identifying the product, there isn't any printing anywhere on the actual label sheet. But obviously is the gloss version is really this bad, I'll go back to the original idea of keeping the matt finish version (OL177WJ) and opt for covering with a second layer, or the krylon spray. Its just hard to believe that the ink binding difference between the matte and gloss products is this severe. The matte version you can pretty much wipe with a wet sponge with no issues.
#14 Posted : 2/15/2014 4:23:49 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

I'm glad to hear that the new samples arrived. The glossy weather proof inkjet material has a similar top coating to the weather proof matte inkjet product. Because of the material's gloss coating it does tend to get over saturated with ink a easier than the matte product. I have a feeling that the top coating is just getting over saturated with ink.

To use an analogy: The top coating on our inkjet products is like a paper towel. A paper towel will absorb a certain amount of water. Once the paper towel gets completely saturated it will no longer take on more water. In most cases, I find that reducing the ink being put onto the sheet will resolve the issue (draft mode). It sounds like the matte product is working better so I would probably just stick with it for now. The samples of the clear laser material should arrive by Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks.
#15 Posted : 2/16/2014 12:30:55 PM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

No, that's not whats happening. No amount of explanation can cover what is going on here. Even after a day, if you take a damp sponge and wipe the image, it pretty much comes completely off, to the point where you could almost re-use the paper. In other words, the ink retention is not just lower than the matte finish, it is ZERO. With the matte finish, in which even the printouts I made with excessive ink settings are completely immune to moisture. Either the wrong product was sent to me by mistake for this sample, or you really should stop selling it as weatherproof.
#16 Posted : 2/17/2014 4:49:07 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

It definitely sounds like an incompatibility with your ink and the top coating on the product.

I had one of our technical team members check out our sample bin for the OL177WI product to see if it was possibly incorrectly labeled material. He found that it was the correct material, but it is one of our older approved material specs. We have a new product that we switched to about 12 months ago that performs much better (looks exactly the same as the old spec). I am going to send you samples of this product for testing. We went to this new product spec about a year ago and we find that it performs much better across a wider range of inkjet printers. Nearly all of our inventory has now transitioned to this new product spec. I am not sure why those samples wouldn't have been updated to the new spec (probably a case of that item not being very popular).

I will get those samples out to you in tomorrow's mail. I am interested to see if the newer product performs better for you. Thanks!
#17 Posted : 2/18/2014 9:49:13 AM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

I'm sure it will be better. Personally I think your bin is probably be labeled right, but that the wrong product was mistakenly sent me the first time. Even more so because I had requested 3 sheets of that product and received 4. So the order likly got confused with another. No big deal. I'll let you know how it performs.

I'm sure weatherproof gloss surface is possible for inkjet, because I have a very old glossy photo paper called "Premier Imaging" (made by a company called IT-Supplies), and you can print a full 8 x 10 glossy photo on it, and the image remains 100 totally fixed.through a water test.

Anyway in the mean time, I found a Krylon product called tough coat which I'm testing over the original matte finish product. I will do a side by side test with the clear laser label used as a protection layer, and finally will give the clear inkjet gloss a test when it arrives. I'll let you know the final verdict. ;-)

One thing I will have to address, going back to the original matte finish product I tried, but I don't want to be off topic, so I'll post it in a separate thread.
#18 Posted : 2/18/2014 10:54:00 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Sounds good. Keep us posted.
#19 Posted : 2/20/2014 11:03:11 AM(EST)
PeterPan

United States

OK two things. First, I have received a second sample of the weatherproof inkjet GLOSS product (OL177WI) but have not received the promised sample of the clear laser label product, to be used for laminating. Please see what happened to that sample, as it seems I'm definitely going to have to try that approach. That will be the clear laser label that has no cutouts or scores.

Now back to the gloss inkjet labels. The replacements perfromed just as badly as the first set, so there was no mix-up in products. I did get a little better result tweaking the ink level settings, but the biggest discovery that might help others with similar printers was this. Apparently my printer has some kind of heating element, used to minimize drying time. The trouble is, drying too quickly means that the ink dries before it can be absorbed into the pores of the top layer. By setting my printer to "extended" drying time (which took some effort to find!), the image seems to be much more stable. Its at least comparable now to the matte finish. Thanks for your help and patience.

But at this point, it seems that whichever product I choose (gloss or matte), I'm going to have to try using the gloss clear laser label product as a top coat, so please see what happened to that sample.

I should also ask whether you have an online tool that would let me layout artwork online so you can print them for me using the laser version of these opaque label products. I'd imagine the laser labels have no issues with water at all, and the clear version would provide a good finish to overlay a cleat top label for ultimate protection. To investigate that option though, someone would have to look at the label artwork I uploaded and tell me whether it could even be done. There may be more colors and sharp detail there than the laser process could handle.

Edited by user Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:32:20 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#20 Posted : 2/20/2014 4:39:17 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

I have gone ahead and put in a new request in for the OL177CL samples. For some reason, I couldn't find the original request. I may have inadvertently not completed the request when I entered it. I apologize for the issue. The samples should arrive shortly.

That is interesting feedback on the OL177WI material. It does sound like the top coating isn't accepting the ink for some reason. I'm glad to hear that the "extended" drying time seemed to work better.

I am not sure what exactly you mean in regards to laying out your artwork. We do offer printing services. You are welcome to submit your artwork to us for review using our support ticket system at the link below. Please make sure to indicate exactly what you require us to do with the artwork.

https://secure.onlinelabels.com/Support/SupportRequest.aspx
2 Pages12»