Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 3/16/2014 1:42:22 PM(EST)
Beach Bird

United States

I've been using your water resistant labels and put a clear gloss label over them for extra protection but do you make a fully water proof label?
Thanks!
#2 Posted : 3/17/2014 8:27:47 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Can you provide some additional details? Which of our products did you purchase? How are you using the labels (environment)? What is your printer model?

Generally speaking, our all our waterproof labels work well in wet environments. An overcoat or laminate isn't usually necessary. If you can provide some additional details on the issues you are experiencing (labels smudging, etc.) and answer the questions above, I should be able to make recommendations.

Thanks.
#3 Posted : 3/25/2014 9:59:29 PM(EST)
deejay

United States

Sorry to jump in on your thread. I am having trouble with smudging using OL160. I have tried on two different home printers. Both inkjet. One is a Lexmark Prospect Pro205 and the other is an "el-cheapo" Hewlit Packard Deskjet 1000 (figured I'd have trouble with this cheap printer but thought I'd give it a whirl). But none the less, I didn't think the Lexmark would give me trouble.

I intend to use these labels for e-cigg juice bottles, and therefore some some liquid may get on the label. I am looking for a recommendation on a printer to pair with this particular label as I see it as a perfect fit for my application.

Any suggestions is highly anticipated and appreciated.

DJ

#4 Posted : 3/26/2014 1:11:36 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

DJ - Can you provide additional details on the product that you purchased? You mentioned in your post that you are using the OL160, but I need the last 2 letters on the product code to establish the specific product that you have purchased from us (e.g. OL160WX, OL160WJ, etc.). Can you let me know the specific product code?

Can you also provide more details on the smudging that you experiencing? When does it happen?

Thanks.

Dave
#5 Posted : 3/26/2014 1:22:45 PM(EST)
deejay

United States

Hello, it is the OL160WI and the smudging happens with the simple lick of a finger and swiping it across the label.
#6 Posted : 3/26/2014 1:24:48 PM(EST)
kansha

United States

An overcoat or laminate isn't usually necessary.

I've been using weatherproof polyester label for my products, using laser copy machine at Kinko now Fedex?.
All my products has some kind of oils, and eventually prints fade away.
You mentioned overcoat or laminate, Is there any solution to this?
#7 Posted : 3/26/2014 4:35:29 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
deejay -

I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you have experienced. Have you tried adjusting the material type within your printer settings? The material type setting can have a huge impact on print durability when it comes to weatherproof stock. On some printer models, using the default material setting will result in a much less durable print. If you haven't already, please try adjusting the material type to a photo paper or glossy setting. I've had the opportunity to test the material settings on a variety of different inkjet printer models, and with this type of product the photo/glossy settings almost always provide better results in regards to durability in contact with moisture.

Looking at your customer account, I noticed that we sent you a three sheet sample of our product OL160WI. Do you still have sheets available to test with? If not, please let me know and I'll be happy to have additional samples sent out for you right away.

kansha -

While our weatherproof polyester laser material tends to hold up very well in contact with moisture, direct contact with oils can sometimes cause issues. Unfortunately, we do not offer a product that is considered to be oil-proof, but an overcoat spray could definitely help. We typically recommend a clear protective spray called Krylon Preserve-It. You can purchase this product at local retailers such Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and Walmart.

Applying a light coat of the spray immediately after printing will definitely improve the durability of the printed labels over time.
#8 Posted : 3/27/2014 12:58:40 AM(EST)
kansha

United States

Hi Josh,
Krylon Preserve-It.
Sounds good. I'll go get it tomorrow, I can't wait to see the result.
Thank you!
#9 Posted : 3/27/2014 9:39:52 PM(EST)
deejay

United States

Thanks for the input. I am out of sample sheets but I see with my Lexmark how to change the settings and hopefully that will do the trick. Yeah if you can send another 3 sheet sample to work with, that'd be great! Thank you very much for your assistance.

Dj
#10 Posted : 3/28/2014 9:37:36 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

deejay -

I'll have some additional sample sheets sent out for you this afternoon. If you have any questions after making the recommended adjustments, please just let us know. We'll be happy to offer any assistance that we can!
#11 Posted : 4/7/2014 12:26:24 AM(EST)
Beach Bird

United States

Sorry, I haven't gotten back to you before now; I've been busy with markets!!!

I'm using OL892WI Weatherproof gloss inkjet labels for soap, salt scrubs and liquid soap.
The scrubs and liquid soap are used around water and need to be completely waterproof. I've also found that on damp days at our farmers market, sometimes my soap labels will smear because they aren't covered with a clear label.

I can send you a photo if you'd like.

Thank you so much!!!
Robin
#12 Posted : 4/7/2014 10:21:49 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Robin -

Have you tried making any adjustments to your printer settings? Changing the material type to a photo or glossy setting will likely resolve the smearing that is occurring.

If you are still experiencing the issue after adjusting the material type setting it may be a result of over-saturation. Reducing the print quality within your printer options would be one possible solution in this scenario. If you'd rather not reduce the print quality, then using a clear protective spray would be the best way to increase durability in contact with moisture. As mentioned earlier in this thread, we recommend a spray called Krylon Preserve-It, which can be purchased at local retailers such as Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and Walmart.
#13 Posted : 4/7/2014 7:25:22 PM(EST)
Beach Bird

United States

Thanks for your response! I do use the photo quality setting, and I might try a test of a lower quality but I switched to the high gloss for a better quality print.

I'm only experiencing an issue when water might drip on a label, it's not smearing in the printer (just to clarify). And it's not every label, just some of them.

I have tried the krylon but have never had much success with it; the labels always have problems: they get too wet, or not enough spray looking blotchy, or bugs get on them.

Thanks again for your help!
Robin
#14 Posted : 4/7/2014 7:52:33 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

The lower quality print settings don't always have noticeable lower quality look. In some cases, it is very minor or barely noticeable difference in print quality. I recommend trying the different settings to see if you notice a difference in performance and then provide us an update.

We are happy to take the product back and give you a credit to your credit card if you can't get it to work at the level you hoped. We are also happy to provide some extra sheets if you waste some while doing the tests.

Just let us know. Thanks.
#15 Posted : 4/17/2014 10:34:13 AM(EST)
Abbywarm

United States

Hi there!
I just received my order of weatherproof polyester labels {OL1502LP} and have not had luck with them--they smudge when I apply them, even after letting them sit/dry for 24 hours. I use an HP Officejet 4630 printer used on the glossy setting. Any tips or ideas? I've tried twice with no success and am worried about wasting any additional sheets of labels. Thanks!
#16 Posted : 4/17/2014 4:17:24 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Abbywarm - The OL1502LP is a laser printable polyester material. It is made for use with a laser printer. The HP Officejet 4630 is an inkjet printer so it would not be compatible with this product. Laser printers use toner cartridges vs. inkjet printers which use ink. Ink will not likely dry on the OL1502LP. If it does dry it will be easily rubbed off if it gets wet. You will need to use one of our inkjet compatible products with your printer.

I would recommend the OL1502WJ if you are looking for durable inkjet printable product. You can check it out at the link below.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/products/ol1502wj.htm

I am happy to send you samples for testing if you would like to fill out our sample request form at the link below.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/General/SamplesSelectItems.aspx

We are happy to take the OL1502LP labels back. You can read the details of our return policy at the link below.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/return.htm

Thanks.
#17 Posted : 4/20/2014 4:59:55 PM(EST)
Beach Bird

United States

Thanks again for all your help!!!
I'm currently doing a test with a lower setting to see how the label stands up; so far so good! I'll keep you posted.

I really appreciate all your help and that you are willing to replace or send some for the test.
GREAT service is why I LOVE Online Labels!!!
#18 Posted : 4/24/2014 5:40:24 PM(EST)
Beach Bird

United States

The lower setting made a lot of difference. I splashed water all over for several days and only had a small amount of bloom where there was only black ink. The color is just fine.

Thank you so much; you've saved me lots of time and money!!!
Robin
#19 Posted : 4/24/2014 6:46:49 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Beach Bird - I am glad to hear that things are working better with the settings adjustment. Let us know if we can help out on anything else.

Thanks.

Dave