Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 3/12/2015 11:31:52 AM(EST)
Anita

United States

Is there a way to reduce the spacing between lines within a text box to fit more information into the same space? All of my label designs have quite a bit of white space between lines compared to what they're able to do on commercial food labels. It would be most helpful for ingredient lists to use tighter spacing.

Are some fonts closer spaced than others? (Arial narrow helps in the horizontal direction - but not between lines.)

Thanks.
#2 Posted : 3/13/2015 7:30:43 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Anita -

I've played around with a variety of different font styles within Maestro Label Designer this morning, and the one that I found had the least amount of spacing between lines was OL Sansserif 3. It's important to note that the difference was minor when compared to Arial Narrow, but it did appear to make a small impact.

One other suggestion would be to create each individual line of text as a separate text box within Maestro Label Designer. This would allow you to manually place the lines of text to your exact specifications. Going this route would obviously make the design process a bit more tedious, but it would allow total control of spacing and could be a viable option if your labels aren't extremely text heavy.

I hope you find this information useful. If you should require any additional details please just let me know.
#3 Posted : 3/13/2015 8:34:51 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Another option is to create your copy / text in another program and then bring it into Maestro Label Designer as an uploaded image.

For example, you could create the text in Microsoft Word or another program and then do a screen shot of the text save it as a JPEG or PNG file which can be uploaded into Maestro Label Designer.

I hope this helps.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#4 Posted : 3/13/2015 12:43:30 PM(EST)
Anita

United States

Thanks for taking the time to test the fonts, Josh. OL Sansserif 3 is a good option. I might also try creating the separate text boxes for total control. It would be nice if they could be grouped afterward, so they can be treated as one.

I also tried your suggestion Dave. I used Microsoft PowerPoint because it can save PNG and JPG files, whereas Microsoft Word doesn’t seem to. ?? It’s nice that Maestro’s Image window has a build-in crop function we can use for these after they’re uploaded. The results are a bit fuzzy, though, even after adjusting the initial image size to be close to what the label requires. Maybe some fonts work better than others.

Great tech support guys!

Anita
#5 Posted : 3/13/2015 1:17:17 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Anita Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for taking the time to test the fonts, Josh. OL Sansserif 3 is a good option. I might also try creating the separate text boxes for total control. It would be nice if they could be grouped afterward, so they can be treated as one.

I also tried your suggestion Dave. I used Microsoft PowerPoint because it can save PNG and JPG files, whereas Microsoft Word doesn’t seem to. ?? It’s nice that Maestro’s Image window has a build-in crop function we can use for these after they’re uploaded. The results are a bit fuzzy, though, even after adjusting the initial image size to be close to what the label requires. Maybe some fonts work better than others.

Great tech support guys!

Anita

I'm glad to hear our suggestions were helpful. You may want to try increasing the size of the image (with the text) before you upload. Once you have uploaded the image into Maestro Label Designer you can size it down. This may help to keep the resolution better.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com