Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 3/26/2015 4:31:15 PM(EST)
Anita

United States

Hi,
One of the designs I'm working on is OL875_PecanButterMpl_SDR_1.2Oz. The alignment is good enough to get all the text on the label, but the background color doesn't fill to both sides so it prints with white edges there. The tops are fine. Is there a way the template can be made to fill in more background color in the side-to-side direction between the labels?
Thanks
#2 Posted : 3/27/2015 8:55:08 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Anita,

The issue that you're describing is related to your printer model's unprintable margins. Every printer currently on the market has a small "buffer" of space around the perimeter of the sheet where ink or toner isn't allowed. This space is called the non-printable margin, and is designed to keep the internal, mechanical parts of the printer free from errant ink and toner.

We do offer a tool on our site that will help you determine your printer's non-printable margins. You can access the printer margin tool by visiting the link below:

http://www.onlinelabels.com/printermargins.htm

Most printer models usually have non-printable margins of 0.25". For this reason, we place a disclaimer on our site for any product that incorporates margins smaller than 0.25" stating that printing to the edge of the label may not be possible. Unfortunately, this includes the product OL875, which has left and right margins of 0.21975".

If you decide you cannot use the OL875 labels we'd be happy to take the product back for a refund. You can initiate a product return by visiting the link below:

http://www.onlinelabels.com/return.htm

If you would like to try the closest size that incorporates larger left and right margins, I'd recommend our product OL160. You can view this product at the link below:

http://www.onlinelabels.com/OL160.htm

The dimensions on this product are a little bit different than the OL875, but it should allow you to print a full background color regardless of which printer model you're using. If you would like to sample this size before placing an actual order, you can request free samples at the following link:

http://www.onlinelabels.com/General/SamplesSelectItems.aspx

I hope you find this information useful. If you should require any additional details please just let me know.

#3 Posted : 3/27/2015 2:08:27 PM(EST)
Anita

United States

Josh actually that's not the issue in this case. I know about what you are describing and was sure to order labels that fit within the printable margins. This is a case of background colors of the individual labels being sized too precisely to fit the label, without having the color overlap around all edges. Many of the online labels do print with the extra background color beyond the edges. This particular label template seems to have been programmed to not print enough in the side-to-side dimension.
#4 Posted : 3/27/2015 2:19:36 PM(EST)
Anita

United States

I should have also said - thank you for taking the time for such a comprehensive answer. I really do want to use this label size but will consider alternatives if necessary. I'm hoping it's just a Maestro programing matter. Is there a way to seek this type of help without it being a public forum?
#5 Posted : 3/27/2015 3:07:32 PM(EST)
Anita

United States

Darn Josh you're right. The printer's area is 8 1/16" wide but this template requires 8 1/8". It's important to look at the detailed specifications.

I think it would still help if the background color extended to the sides more, because that is the problem I am having on the edges in the middle of the page.

So now I need to decide whether there's any use for a whole bunch of labels with white backgrounds...
#6 Posted : 3/28/2015 8:02:12 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
There is a feature in Maestro Label Designer under Page Set up that allows you to add bleed to your background color.

Just click on the Page Set Up button in the header of Maestro Label Designer and add 0.25 to the bleed. This will allow you to push the background beyond the edge of the label.

I have attached an image for your review.

Let us know if you need any additional help.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

dcarmany attached the following image(s):
page_setup.PNG (93kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
#7 Posted : 3/28/2015 9:15:19 AM(EST)
Anita

United States

That works. You guys thought of everything! Thanks so much.