Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 1/5/2016 6:19:01 AM(EST)
eichelem

Hello!

So I've recently had issues cutting my labels with my plotter (KNK Zing air). It makes a very gritty cut and leaves a pile of dust at the end of the cut. I've been cutting custom sized labels for a while, but have recently come across this issue. I did have to change settings on the cutter to cut some other media, but when trying to go back, I can not get a clean cut.

I cant seem to narrow it down to improper settings on the cutter, or if there was a recent change in the label paper itself. I've been using ( http://www.onlinelabels.com/OL177.htm?src=mp-47 ) for a while and had to refill my stock recently which is why I'm curious as if there has been a change. I have attempted many different settings on the cutter and even bought and used new blades with no discernable difference to the cuts. Its still just gritty leaving a flaky edge.

Again, I've been able to get clean cuts in the past with my set up, but have not been able to get back to that point. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 Posted : 1/5/2016 1:24:01 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
eichelem -

I'm sorry to hear about the issues that you're experiencing when attempting to use a plotter with our weatherproof gloss material. This material hasn't been tested with plotter cutters, so I don't have data regarding how the material performs when being used with these types of devices, or the proper settings to use for best results. This weatherproof gloss inkjet material consists of a very durable polyester film, so I'd imagine it would be very tough on the cutting blades in these types of devices - especially compared to paper-based products.

There haven't been any changes to the composition of our weatherproof gloss inkjet material since 2013. I double checked your order history to see if you had ever received material that was manufactured before the last change date, but both of your orders for this material were manufactured this year with our current material.

If you haven't already, it may be worth contacting the manufacturer of your plotter cutter to see if they have any insight or tips regarding the use of polyester film based label materials in their devices.

If you should need any additional information please just let me know.
#3 Posted : 1/6/2016 7:40:40 AM(EST)
eichelem

Thanks for the reply Josh!

I did happen to narrow it down to the paper itself. I was cutting the sheets with a brand new exacto blade, and it was producing the same flaky edges, just not to the same degree. It did happen to occur less with slower cutting.

I'm also not sure if I may have been sent old stock initially, because I ran through an entire 100 sheet pack and dont recall having any of this issue but it seemed to occur once I got the new stock. I also did check around with some others, and they suggested it could be with environmental changes, but it doesnt seem the case.

In any case, I'm no longer worried about it right now. I've been wanting to test a couple different materials, so this gives me a good chance since I'm all but out of my current stock of label paper. Thanks again!
#4 Posted : 1/6/2016 8:58:32 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I went back and checked the retains from both orders - the material definitely came from the same source both times. I'm sorry that I don't have a more definitive answer on what could be causing the difference in performance - environmental changes (humidity, storage temperature, etc.) could potentially affect the material to some degree, but it's impossible to say for sure.

Regarding your interest in testing some other materials we do offer free samples through our website. You can place a free sample request by visiting the link below:

http://www.onlinelabels.com/General/SamplesSelectItems.aspx

If you should require any additional information please just let me know.