Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 8/24/2016 4:43:06 PM(EST)
Bonnechere

Canada

I make candles, and have been having problems with the labels not adhering well to the glass jars I use. I purchased the business last year and have no idea how old the labels are, and if this is a possible cause for the problem. I'm about to order more labels, so I'd really like to know if this is a common problem--or should I just order a different type. Thanks
#2 Posted : 8/25/2016 11:17:42 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Thanks for your inquiry. I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can.

The age of the label stock can certainly have an effect on the strength of the adhesion. If the labels have been sitting for years it's possible that the adhesive has hardened or weakened to some degree. Were the original labels purchased from us? If they were, and you still have the original packaging, I could check on the age of the labels using the lot number located on the product label.

We do offer label materials that have a more aggressive adhesive - some of our weatherproof options and our aggressive white matte feature adhesives that are a bit stronger that basic label adhesives. The standard materials and adhesives should work well on most glass surfaces though.

Please let me know if you'd like to receive samples of any of our materials. I'd be more than happy to have a few sample sheets sent out to you for testing.
#3 Posted : 8/25/2016 2:28:19 PM(EST)
Bonnechere

Canada

Thanks, Josh. Yes, the labels were from you. The lot number is 869111-21020230, product # OL9815TC. I use other sizes as well--one goes on the metal lid of the jar and I have no problems at all with it. The other one is product #OL325TC with a lot#880105-21025101. This last one is also going on glass, and sticks very poorly. I've had to resort to using a glue stick, as I have enough of those to do my lifetime! The temperature seems to make no difference, as I've warmed the jars and it doesn't seem to help. I just ordered more of the OL9815 TC because I couldn't find the right size here in Canada. I wish I'd waited for your reply--the extra adhesion one sounds like it would've worked well. I have no idea of the age of these labels, so I hope that is the problem. If not, I guess it's the glue stick! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated--Helen
#4 Posted : 8/25/2016 3:36:13 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Both of the lot numbers that you provided are over four years old, so the age of the product could definitely be contributing to the adhesive issues that you have experienced. I'm not surprised to hear that the label going on the metal lid is working properly - it's much easier to apply labels to a flat surface than a curved surface, even with weakened adhesive.

Based on the age of the product you are currently using, I have a feeling that the new products you ordered should work out much better. If you have any questions after receiving your order please just let us know.

Thank you for your business!
#5 Posted : 12/10/2016 11:45:49 AM(EST)
bbinter

i want make clear label for beer glasses . problem with attach label to round glass
#6 Posted : 12/11/2016 9:00:23 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bbinter Go to Quoted Post
i want make clear label for beer glasses . problem with attach label to round glass

Our clear labels should stick well to a beer bottle. I recommend laser printing as opposed to inkjet printing since our clear inkjet labels are not intended to be waterproof. Also - If you are going to use a clear label on beer bottle, I recommend that you print darker colors since lighter colors may not be opaque enough to be readable against a darker bottle or a darker colored beer.

I highly recommend that you do some tests before making a purchase. We are happy to send you samples for testing if you would like to fill out our sample request form at the link below.

https://www.onlinelabels.com/General/SamplesSelectItems.aspx

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#7 Posted : 1/13/2021 8:26:41 PM(EST)
tmar2020

United States

Hello,

I have a problem with labels not sticking to glass. I thought my labels might be old, but I tried printing to labels that I bought late last year, having the same issues. Do you have a remedy? Thank you!
#8 Posted : 1/14/2021 9:24:12 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: tmar2020 Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I have a problem with labels not sticking to glass. I thought my labels might be old, but I tried printing to labels that I bought late last year, having the same issues. Do you have a remedy? Thank you!

I was able to locate your account in our system and it looks like you're using the brown kraft label material. This is a pretty rigid paper-based material, so there can be challenges associated with adhesion on curved glass surfaces. There are a few steps you can take to ensure that the labels adhere as well as possible.

- You want to make sure you're labeling a clean surface. Any debris or residue will potentially cause issues, especially if you're labeling a curved container. Some customers choose to wipe down their application surfaces with rubbing alcohol to ensure that the surface is as clean as possible. This isn't always necessary, but can definitely help promote a stronger adhesive bond.

- If you're already working with a clean, dry surface the biggest factor relating to proper adhesion will likely be surface tension. Excess surface tension can cause a label to lift up at the edges. To reduce surface tension, you'll want to apply the center of the label first and then press outwards both ways to distribute pressure evenly/ This will ensure that the label is being applied with as little surface tension as possible and typically goes a long way toward reducing edge lift on labels that wrap around a curved surface.

- Label size can actually have an impact on the adhesive application strength as well. If your application surface allows for it, moving to a larger label size will increase the surface area of the adhesive and will typically result in better adhesion overall. If you're labeling a curved container you may want to consider a full wraparound label as well. Overlapping the edge of the label so that it wraps around and applies to itself can definitely improve the application strength. If you're going to overlap the edge of the labels, the key is to allow for enough length so that the overlap is at least a quarter of an inch. Anything shorter than that may result in some lifting, but if there's enough surface area on the overlap you should see excellent adhesion.

If you've tried all of the suggestions listed above but still need better adhesion you may want to consider one of our label materials with a stronger adhesive. Unfortunately, we don't currently offer a brown kraft option with a stronger adhesive, but our aggressive white matte and our selection of weatherproof materials feature adhesives that are typically stronger than a general purpose permanent adhesive.

If you're interested in trying samples of any of these other materials please reach out to our customer service department for assistance. You can submit a support ticket by visiting the link below:

https://secure.onlinelabels.com/support/SupportRequest.aspx

I hope this helps. Please just let us know if you need any additional information.