Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 8/1/2016 11:34:37 PM(EST)
moondrop

Canada

I used your barcode generator and was able to create barcode which I downloaded and then inserted into a microsoft word template. When I try to scan the barcode, the scanner is not picking up the image. Can you help?
#2 Posted : 8/2/2016 9:54:46 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Can you provide any additional details? Did you do any scaling to the image (reduce or enlarge the size)? Does it look blurry at all when you print the image. I suspect that the issue you are experiencing has something to do with the resolution of the image.

I see you created an account our Maestro Label Designer software. You may want to use the built-in barcode generator in Maestro Label Designer. You can find the bar code generator under Tools in the top menu in Maestro Label Designer. Using the tool directly in Maestro Label Designer (rather than generating the image and then uploading the image) will generate a high quality bar code image that should scan.

Here is a tutorial on how to use the feature in Maestro Label Designer.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/support/Maestro/Barcodes/How-to-create-a-barcode.aspx

I am happy to offer additional support. Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#3 Posted : 9/5/2016 8:45:33 PM(EST)
Mike613

United States

Dcarmany,

I also have an issue with my barcode not scanning.

I used the built-in barcode generator in Maestro Label Designer to create the barcode and it doesn't scan.

Some details for you: The label size is very small 0.75" x 2.00" so the barcode is tiny. I am using an inkjet printer and I print in "best" quality.

Please help!
#4 Posted : 9/5/2016 9:25:47 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mike613 Go to Quoted Post
Dcarmany,

I also have an issue with my barcode not scanning.

I used the built-in barcode generator in Maestro Label Designer to create the barcode and it doesn't scan.

Some details for you: The label size is very small 0.75" x 2.00" so the barcode is tiny. I am using an inkjet printer and I print in "best" quality.

Please help!

Mike613 -
Based on your comments and the label size that you are using, I suspect you have scaled down the bar code far below what can be scanned. Bar codes can only be scaled down to about 80% of their nominal size before you start running into scanning issues. When you generated the code using our software, I assume you significantly scaled down the size of the image that was generated.

Here is an article on the topic.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7255282_barcode-size-requirements.htm

Here is the specific information related to bar code scaling / size that you will find in the article above:

"The nominal bar code is the middle point magnification of a bar code. It is a bar code set to 100 percent magnification with a resulting size of 1.469 inches wide by 1.02 inches high. The standard bar code nominal X dimension is 13 thousandths of an inch.

UPC bar codes can range from 0.8 to 2.0 magnification. At 0.8, the bar code is reduced to 80 percent from the nominal size. At this magnification, the bar code is 1.175 inches wide by 0.816 inches high. This is the smallest that a bar code can be and still be scanned. This size, however, does make it harder for machines to properly read the bar code information, and sometimes these will not scan at all.

This is the largest magnification recommended for a bar code. If you magnify it further, a machine may not properly read the bar code. The resulting dimensions are 2.938 inches wide by 2.04 inches high. You should try to use larger bar codes whenever possible. They scan better than the nominal and 80 percent size bar codes."

If you are really tight on space on the label, you may be able to crop the height of bar code (vertically), but you can't scale it horizontally to less than 80% of the nominal size. At 80% of nominal size, the bar code should still be 1.175" wide which means it is going to horizontally take up more than half your label. You may be able to get certain bar code scanners to scan smaller bar codes, but it is risky as your bar code may not be able to be scanned by all scanners if you scale below 80% of the nominal size.

If your bar code is the proper size and it is still not scanning let me know and I can continue to troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

Edited by user Monday, September 5, 2016 9:26:50 PM(EST)  | Reason: corrected typo