Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
2 Pages12»
#1 Posted : 6/18/2016 7:37:51 PM(EST)
LaneR

Hi, I am looking to purchase a color laser printer for the weatherproof, polyester labels. I design and print labels for my my business and need something that will be more cost effective than my inkjet, and reasonably priced. I don't print more than a few orders a week, so maybe 8-10 sheets, but my business is growing and I suspect I will be printing more in the coming months. I'm hoping to stay within the $200-$350 range. Would love recommendations for a great color laser print for this purpose.

Also, as a side note, I have found the printer movement is a bit of an issue with my inkjet. I use a bleed, but the issue seems to be more with the text alignment. Does this tend to be an issue with laser printers as well and is there anything I can do to minimize this?

Thanks!
#2 Posted : 6/20/2016 1:27:47 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
LaneR -

Thanks for your inquiry. We collect printer performance ratings in surveys we send out to our customers. Some of the best rated printer models for use with our weatherproof polyester material are listed below:

- HP LaserJet Pro 200 Color M251
- HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color M451
- HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw

I've had the opportunity to use the HP LaserJet Pro 200 and have had excellent results when printing on the weatherproof polyester material, but the other HP LaserJet printer models have received glowing reviews from our customers as well.

As long as you are setting the material type option to the correct setting (Labels, Transparencies, etc.) then the printer movement shouldn't be much of an issue.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you require any additional details.
#3 Posted : 1/7/2017 6:12:39 PM(EST)
gary vogt

We print sheet vinyl labels for bin tickets and price tags in our hardware store. We had to replace our old color laser printer and have had a hard time finding a reliable printer for our labels. We use onlinelabels ZLK4288 and Southern Imperial S01-LBS-32Y. The issues include labels peeling inside the printer, indexing and smudging. Can you recommend a color laser printer that is reliable?

Thanks, Gary
#4 Posted : 1/9/2017 11:03:23 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Gary,

I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can. Which of our label materials are you using? The ZLK4288 that you referred to in your post isn't one of our product numbers, so I'll need to know which of our products you're using (or plan to use) to provide you with the best printer recommendation.

You can view a list of our available material types at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/browse_material.aspx

#5 Posted : 1/11/2017 1:34:23 PM(EST)
CigarMan

United States

Any recommendations for printing cigar bands?
#6 Posted : 1/12/2017 11:01:07 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

CigarMan -

We offer a variety of printable cigar bands. You can view the available configurations at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.../cigars/cigar-labels.htm

You'll receive access to our label design software, Maestro Label Designer, free with any purchase. This program will include templates for each of our cigar band label configurations. You can check out a free trial of the software by visiting the following link:

https://www.onlinelabels...abel-design-software.htm

If you'd like to receive free samples of our cigar labels you can place a request below:

https://www.onlinelabels.../SamplesSelectItems.aspx

I hope this information helps. If you have any other questions please let us know.
 1 user thanked Josh for this useful post: CigarMan
#7 Posted : 1/12/2017 1:47:56 PM(EST)
CigarMan

United States

I should have been more specific. Recommendations for a printer that would work well with your cigar labels
#8 Posted : 1/12/2017 3:45:24 PM(EST)
CigarMan

United States

If it matters, we plan on using the silver bands as well. So i know laser is required
#9 Posted : 1/13/2017 10:59:29 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

CigarMan -

Thanks for clarifying the material type. I've had a ton of success using the HP LaserJet series of printers - specifically, the HP LaserJet Pro 200 color. I've used this printer model with a variety of our label materials, including the silver cigar bands, and have always been really happy with the quality. Any of the HP Color LaserJet models should provide similar results, with crisp images and vivid colors.

I hope this information helps. If you need any additional details please just let me know.
 1 user thanked Josh for this useful post: CigarMan
#10 Posted : 2/17/2017 4:46:27 PM(EST)
CHARITY

United States

I am pretty happy with my labels that I print from onlinelables.com. I am running into one problem. Mainly on my small lotion bottles. After not much use by a customer or myself-the toner starts flaking off-it looks very unprofessional. I use them on my soaps as well-but cover them with plastic and then they are just thrown away-but I'm looking for a bit more durability for the lotion bottles. And they are very water proof!

I have a Laser Jet 200 color MFP m276nw
Settings when printing: Card Stock, Heavy Glossy.
Labels are waterproof polyester for laser.
#11 Posted : 2/20/2017 11:58:57 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Charity -

Labeling squeeze bottles can be tough - the squeezable lotion and cosmetic containers that you see at retail are usually professionally printed with a laminate applied, making them extremely durable to heavy handling and squeezing. We've seen customers with similar applications try to mimic the process of adding a laminate by using the methods detailed below:

- Using a clear overcoat spray, such as Krylon Preserve-It, can add a ton of durability to your labels. You can view a step-by-step tutorial on how to apply the overcoat spray at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels...label-overcoat-spray.htm

- Another way to simulate a laminate would be to apply a clear gloss label on top of the printed labels on your lotion bottles. This adds another step, and requires additional labels, but would drastically improve durability in squeezing applications. If you'd like to try samples of our clear gloss label material, you can request free sample sheets at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.../SamplesSelectItems.aspx

Before committing to either of the methods listed above it may be worth trying some additional material settings on your printer model. I typically use the "Labels" material setting when I'm printing weatherproof polyester labels with my HP LaserJet 200 color, and have always been very pleased with the print quality and durability.

I hope this information helps. If you need any additional assistance please just let us know.
#12 Posted : 2/27/2017 3:03:34 PM(EST)
kjones

I love your labels. They have been amazing on my products. I am running into some serious problems that have been affecting really making sure my products are branded well. I use the silver polyester weatherproof labels. They print amazing on my Brother HL-2270DW which is a black laser jet. My company logo is purple though. I took the labels to our local Office Depot to have color prints done on their laser jet and the ink smeared right off. Their answer to me regarding that was there is not enough heat application for the weatherproof polyester labels to keep the ink on. I know on my home printer, the ink stays on UNTIL a friend of mine pulled out her lip balm from her purse and I found all the ink had rubbed off the label :( I have no idea what to do. I already have two home high priced printers. The thought of buying another and budgeting for it, ugh! Is there a way I can coat with a spray poly or something that can be sprayed on to coat the label to keep the ink adhered to the label for the duration of the use?
#13 Posted : 2/28/2017 1:33:20 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kjones Go to Quoted Post
I love your labels. They have been amazing on my products. I am running into some serious problems that have been affecting really making sure my products are branded well. I use the silver polyester weatherproof labels. They print amazing on my Brother HL-2270DW which is a black laser jet. My company logo is purple though. I took the labels to our local Office Depot to have color prints done on their laser jet and the ink smeared right off. Their answer to me regarding that was there is not enough heat application for the weatherproof polyester labels to keep the ink on. I know on my home printer, the ink stays on UNTIL a friend of mine pulled out her lip balm from her purse and I found all the ink had rubbed off the label :( I have no idea what to do. I already have two home high priced printers. The thought of buying another and budgeting for it, ugh! Is there a way I can coat with a spray poly or something that can be sprayed on to coat the label to keep the ink adhered to the label for the duration of the use?

I'm sorry to hear about the issues that you are experiencing. It is critical that you use the "labels" media type setting when printing onto the labels to ensure that you get the best possible toner fusion. If you are still having issues with the toner fusing onto the labels even after using the "labels" media type setting, you may want to consider applying a clear gloss label (in the matching size) on top of the existing labels. This adds another step, and requires additional labels, but would drastically improve the durability. If you'd like to try samples of our clear gloss label material, you can request free sample sheets at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/General/SamplesSelectItems.aspx

Lip balm labels get a lot of handling and the lip balm container is typically put in a pocket or purse which means they are subjected to a lot of abrasion. Let me know if either of these options helps resolve the issues that you experiencing.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#14 Posted : 5/21/2017 4:56:43 PM(EST)
Jennifer

United States

Will any printer work well with regular white matte labels?
#15 Posted : 5/21/2017 7:37:51 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Originally Posted by: Jennifer Go to Quoted Post
Will any printer work well with regular white matte labels?

Our white matte label material is very versatile and works well with all types of laser and inkjet printers. We are happy to send you a few sample sheets if you would like to fill out our sample request form at the link below.

Let us know if you need any additional information. Thanks for your inquiry.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#16 Posted : 11/1/2017 12:42:05 AM(EST)
Fused

United States

Hi. I'm using your several of your matte laser/inkjet labels (like OL2682WX for example) on an inkjet printer. The quality is great! I have some questions about switching to a laser printer:

1) Currently my lip balm labels do not flake off or degrade in any significant way in spite of a lot of handling. If I switch to laser, will I have problems with flaking? I understand that I need to choose the correct settings on the printer for the toner to fuse correctly.

2) I tried using a Brother laser printer and they recommended that any paper as thick as your labels should be fed in the manual tray (more direct paper path) AND they suggested feeding them one at a time. I found this to be true and I had to sit there and feed each sheet, so I stopped using that and went to inkjet. I see you recommend these HP laser printers below, so I'm wondering A) do I need to use the manual feed tray? and B) will I be able to put a stack of labels in the tray and run a complete job (sat 30-50 sheets)?

Finally, it seems that all the printers you recommended have been replaced with newer models. Do you have a new recommendation for any of these?

- HP LaserJet Pro 200 Color M251 > Now HP LaserJet Pro M254dw Wireless Color Laser Printer
- HP LaserJet Pro 400 Color M451 > Now HP Laserjet Pro M452nw Wireless Color Printer
- HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw > Now HP LaserJet Pro M254dw Wireless Color Laser Printer

Thanks!!!
#17 Posted : 11/1/2017 1:22:18 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Fused -

You shouldn't have a problem with your lip balm labels flaking when printing with a laser printer as long as you use the recommended printer settings. For most laser printers you'll want to select a heavier paper type setting like Glossy, Labels, Heavy Paper, or Transparency.

I've had a ton of success using HP LaserJet printers with our laser label products. I haven't had an opportunity to use the HP LaserJet Pro M254dw yet, but I did recently get the HP Laserjet Pro M452nw and have been very pleased with the results so far. I've tested a wide variety of our different label materials in this printer model and have been able to successfully print multi-sheet jobs without needing to manually feed the label sheets. Printing directly from the tray has worked great for me regardless of which material I'm printing.

I hope this helps! If you need any additional information please just let me know.
#18 Posted : 11/1/2017 2:07:05 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Fused -
A lip balm container can get a lot of handling. If thrown into a purse or pocket the container can be exposed to a lot of abrasions. By its very nature, the toner can be worn down over time if rubbed or abrased a lot. I don't think you would see flaking if you are getting good toner fusion from your printer, but toner can gradually wear off the surface of the label when exposed to a lot of rubbing & handling.

Some of our customers will choose to apply a clear label (they typically use the clear gloss laser labels) over the top of the other label to help improve the performance.

We are happy to provide samples of any products for testing. You can fill out our sample request form at the link below.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#19 Posted : 1/20/2018 10:16:05 AM(EST)
thepaintedflame

United States

i use the weatherproof polyester for laser labels for my wrap around candle labels..they come out amazing and i love them so much more then the paper matte i was using before. i currently use the hp laserjet pro m252dw which works fine but does not get a full toner cartridge before starting to discolor and get patchy. hp customer support claims this printer model does not support this paper type, which i don't believe and was trying to understand if its a toner issue, or an internal workings issue. he clearly just wanted to sell me a $1200 printer vs this $300 one...if there is any suggestions since i do already print on the label setting. are there other brands that might have a better printer that isnt as costly? toner is just ridiculously expensive and i only get maybe 250 pages out of a claimed 1000.
#20 Posted : 1/22/2018 10:47:47 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

thepaintedflame -

The HP Color LaserJet series of printers has always been my go-to for laser printer models, and I've found that the performance with our weatherproof polyester labels to be excellent overall. Currently I'm using both the HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw and the HP Color LaserJet Pro M452dn as my primary color laser printers.

I have access to laser printers from a variety of other manufacturers as well - Brother, Lexmark, Samsung, Dell, OKI, and Ricoh. I've extensively tested all of our laser label materials across this wide range of printers, and the HP models almost always stand out to me as the best option. I've never noticed major discrepancies in toner economy across the different printer models - the HP printers seem to be in line with the other printer models when it comes to toner usage and cartridge replacement.

In my experience toner consumption comes down to the actual design being printed more than the material or paper that the design is being printed on. One thing you could potentially try is experimenting with the printer settings. You mentioned using the Labels material type setting, but it may be worth trying some other material type settings to see how toner consumption is affected. I typically using the Photo or Glossy material settings when printing on the weatherproof polyester material. I can't say for certain that this will reduce consumption, but it's one of the only adjustments we can try since it seems HP has removed the print quality settings from the HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
2 Pages12»