Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 3/18/2017 4:22:44 PM(EST)
mrmularella

United States

Hi,

I have purchased three different sizes of clear glossy inkjet labels for my candle containers (OL291CK, OL805CK, and OL3027CK). When they print, the labels look rich and colorful. I have not had the smearing issues others have mentioned. However, when I apply the labels, they are a bit blotchy. More importantly though, my labels include colorful photos or clipart on them. When placed on clear glass, these clipart/photos appear translucent and hard to see. I was expecting something more opaque.

On my Mac, I always print on the "glossy photo paper" and have tried both standard and high print quality. Do you have any suggestions or am I just being unrealistic in my expectations with these labels?

Jeremy
#2 Posted : 3/19/2017 7:49:08 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Standard laser printer toner and inkjet inks are not opaque. In other words, what is behind the ink or toner will typically show through. Darker ink or toner colors like black sometimes have enough density to be opaque and block out what is behind them. I am not sure what colors you are using in your label design.

I am not quite sure what you mean when you say that you apply the labels and they appear blotchy, but I think it may be related to whatever is behind the clear label showing through. If you have a dark background behind the clear label it will make light colors look muddy or dark in most cases. That is why it is best to use a light color background (white) against a clear label when you print using a laser or inkjet printer.

The only way that I know of to get around this issue is to have your labels professionally printed and have the label company lay down a white under print layer on the printing press. The clear labels you see on candle containers in retail stores are likely printed on a professional printing press and a layer of opaque white ink is usually laid down first and then the colors are printed over that.

Unfortunately, at OnlineLabels.com, we do not offer the ability to produce labels with white under print at this time.

Consolidated Label has an excellent video explaining this issue and they are able to produce these types of labels.

http://www.consolidatedlabel.com/videos/white-underprint-for-clear-labels/

I hope this information is helpful.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#3 Posted : 3/19/2017 8:49:12 PM(EST)
mrmularella

United States

That's what I figured. Thank you for the explanation!

Jeremy
#4 Posted : 2/25/2019 4:24:05 PM(EST)
epearlman

United States

We placed a clear label on several different backgrounds and container types to help replicate common results:
https://www.onlinelabels...5&ReturnToCategory=1

Erin Pearlman, PR Coordinator