Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 8/10/2017 7:33:57 PM(EST)
KathyDV

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
QUESTION 1) Like many others, I am struggling with a bit of shift when I print labels. I use around 20 different labels/sizes from ya'll and it is worse on some labels than others. I am trying to alter my designs to lessen the impact, but it is maddening.

There is no consistency from one printing to the next...sometimes the shift is a bit up and then I can add labels, etc. and the next print will be a bit off down (never right or left). This printer is an HP Color LaserJet M553 and setting are for labels. HP has changed their tech support and no longer are ANY help at all.

In your experience, can we adjust how tight the labels are held by the feeding tray? I've tried, but it hasn't helped. I'm wasting so many labels and it can't be good for my blood pressure. I have also tried swearing loudly at the printer and/or InDesign, but never at the sweet Online labels (I promise).

QUESTION 2) I have considered buying a laminating/uv coating system to give my labels that way cool BOPP extra strong finish, but haven't been able to find one that isn't too thick to use with the sheets of labels. IDEAS????

On a GOOD note, Online Labels fabulous variety allows me to have a small business look like one of the cool kids! THANK YOU for such a wonderful selection of quality products.

Thanks in advance!

kathy
#2 Posted : 8/11/2017 9:35:06 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Kathy,
How much shift are you seeing from sheet to sheet? Is it impacting certain label materials (e.g. matte white, gloss, weatherproof polyester) more than other materials?

There are a variety of things that can impact the way your printer feeds. Keeping the rollers clean can definitely help to improve the amount of slip when the material feeds into the printer. Unfortunately, there is always going to be some very minor shift when printing labels using a desktop printer. In most cases, the best strategy is to reduce use of borders and make modifications to your artwork to make it so it is harder to tell when there is shift. Printing borders on small circular labels is always going to be challenge, and I typically discourage that type of design when printing your own labels unless you are fine with having a decent amount of wasted labels.

You have probably reviewed this alignment guide below in the past, but I wanted to post it here just in case.

https://www.onlinelabels.com/articles/printer-alignment-guide.htm

Keeping the sheets tight in the tray is important. It sounds like you are already doing all that can be done there. The feeding mechanism and rollers on the printer definitely play a role. Making sure your rollers are clean and selecting the correct media type in the print settings are critical. Do you notice any difference when you use the manual feed tray?

Are you putting the sheets in the same direction every time? It is important to put the sheets in the same orientation each time as the curl or grain direction of the paper can make an impact on the way it feeds. In addition, there can sometimes be small variations in the margins on our label sheets. Always putting in the sheets in the same direction in the tray helps with that since the margin variance tends to be consistent throughout a batch of a specific item.

I am happy to try to offer more advice once I get some additional details.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#3 Posted : 8/11/2017 12:13:36 PM(EST)
KathyDV

United States

THANK YOU! Sadly, I am one of those people who always thinks they can figure out a way to fix stuff...it becomes a personal challenge. So, it really helps to know that we're doing most of your suggestions already and the others I will implement today. Putting the paper in the same way is one idea I hadn't thought of on the ones it doesn't impact the design.

Of course, all of our labels are on white gloss and I love me some full bleed. So, I will also tweak the designs I have control over and try to "let it go" on ones I can't. We'll also clean the rollers more often now! It seems as if it is a bit worse now that the printer is six months or so old. I had upgraded to their Enterprise Collection (I think that was it) and it has overall been a lot better until this creep issue worsened.

I was grateful to discover the 2 oz round label that has fewer on the page but allows a bleed. It's great to have that option.

Thanks again and I will let you know if I have a breakthrough!

Kathy
#4 Posted : 8/11/2017 12:31:06 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Let us know how it goes after you try some of those solutions. I assume the movement you are seeing is pretty small, but I would be interested to know the specific variance (in inches) you are seeing from sheet to sheet.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#5 Posted : 10/5/2018 4:34:19 PM(EST)
KathyDV

United States

GOOD NEWS!!!

After literally years of beating my head against a wall, I have the answer on the WHY of my problem. Even though I knew it would not print, I was running the color on my files past the actual margins, just to pad for any printer creep. That was making it worse, as it was throwing the printer itself off and it was trying to compensate for the extra color. When an HP tech support person told me this, it made complete sense why some files showed no creep and others it was heinous.

I hope this helps anyone else. I told Jeffrey, my new bestie, he gave me hours and hours of time and lessened my stress level a crazy amount!

Hey, I know anyone who has printed labels has experienced that feeling of glee when you figure something out!

Kathy

#6 Posted : 10/6/2018 7:51:39 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Originally Posted by: KathyDV Go to Quoted Post
GOOD NEWS!!!

After literally years of beating my head against a wall, I have the answer on the WHY of my problem. Even though I knew it would not print, I was running the color on my files past the actual margins, just to pad for any printer creep. That was making it worse, as it was throwing the printer itself off and it was trying to compensate for the extra color. When an HP tech support person told me this, it made complete sense why some files showed no creep and others it was heinous.

I hope this helps anyone else. I told Jeffrey, my new bestie, he gave me hours and hours of time and lessened my stress level a crazy amount!

Hey, I know anyone who has printed labels has experienced that feeling of glee when you figure something out!

Kathy

Kathy,
That is great to hear that you were able to figure out the issue. Thanks for the post!

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com