Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 8/30/2017 12:29:29 PM(EST)
BrittanDoxey

United States

I have a laser print that uses hp ink. Has anyone had any success with generic ink?
#2 Posted : 8/31/2017 1:00:12 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
We have a lot of customers that purchase generic ink and toner. It normally works fine with our products.

I have had a couple of customer situations where the generic ink didn't works as well with our waterproof materials as the OEM inks, but it has been pretty rare. I haven't personally heard of any issues with generic toner (laser printers use toner cartridges not ink cartridges) not working with our materials.

We are happy to send you a few sample sheets of labels to test with your printer / toner if you have concerns. You can fill out our sample request form at the link below.

https://www.onlinelabels.com/General/SamplesSelectItems.aspx

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#3 Posted : 9/26/2017 8:57:54 AM(EST)
IndyVeggie59

United States

I, too, am having difficulty with non-OEM toners (in a Canon MF726CDW) printing on the weatherproof label stock. Love the sizes available, the pricing is agreeable enough...but I can't seem to fully exploit the labels as I envisioned due to the way the toner is interacting with them. It is flaking off and washed-out if I do areas of solid color. I've not had this issue with the A---- weatherproof labels I have used for the same purpose, so I'm scratching my head. Any tips would be appreciated. Oh, and I owned both a computer business and a graphics business for many, many years, so I'm experienced with technology and printing.
#4 Posted : 9/27/2017 11:14:51 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
IndyVeggie59 -

I'm sorry to hear about the issue. We collect printer performance data via printer feedback surveys that we send to our customers after they've placed an order. Based on the feedback we've received the Canon imageCLASS series of laser printers have been very successful when used with our weatherproof polyester material.

As Dave mentioned in his previous post, we usually see good printing results with non-OEM toners and inks on our labels materials, but there are rare instances where certain non-OEM toners have not performed as well as the official cartridges from the manufacturer of the printer.

I'll be happy to look further into the issue but I'll need some additional details first. What paper type setting have you used when attempting to print your labels? Which quality setting? Are you printing from the main paper tray or using the manual bypass tray?
#5 Posted : 9/27/2017 11:49:28 AM(EST)
IndyVeggie59

United States

Hi, Josh, and thanks for responding. I am using the Labels paper setting and the bypass tray. In trying to remove a printed label from the sheet (trying to get the corner of the label to pop up), some toner is flaking off and sticking to me.

As you mentioned, not all non-OEM toners are the same, for sure, which I totally get. So, I'm not really blaming your label stock for the flaking. But I will say that I have printed a lot of the A____ labels on the exact same machine and with the same settings, and have never had toner flake off. It's almost as if, with the A____ stock, the toner is fusing into the paper more, not resting on top of it, if this makes sense.

Thanks for listening and for any additional input.
#6 Posted : 9/27/2017 3:49:27 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Thanks for the additional details. You may need to experiment with some other paper type settings to see if there's one that will allow for a better bond between the toner and the facestock of the labels. I understand that the Labels setting worked well with the label stock you purchased elsewhere, but different materials will sometimes require different printer settings for the best possible performance.

I've had a lot of success using the Transparency setting with our weatherproof polyester material on different laser printer models. This material features a thin plastic facestock that resembles transparency film material in construction, so this paper type setting typically provides excellent results. The Heavy paper type setting may be worth a try as well. Any setting that specifies a thick or heavy material type should result in higher fusing temperatures and a better bond between the toner and the label material.

If you'd like to receive sample sheets for testing the different paper type settings I'd be happy to have them sent out for you right away.

If you're unable to find suitable settings and decide you are not able to use the material we will be happy to arrange for a product return and refund. Please just let us know if we can be of any assistance.