Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 10/29/2014 6:36:09 PM(EST)
Dyyamada

United States

I have purchased some of your waterproof labels (Laser - Polyester) The adhesive does not "Stick" as well as the non-waterproof labels. I sell car care products i.e. waxes and polishes. I re-label them into plastic bottles made of HDPE. The Polyester labels do not adhere as well as the paper labels. Do you have a suggestion for whats can be used, that would be somewhat water proof.
#2 Posted : 10/30/2014 12:01:47 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Thank you for your inquiry. Our weatherproof polyester material for laser printing does utilize a strong permanent adhesive, but performance can vary to some degree depending on the application. If the application surface is textured or heavily curved, the rigidity of the plastic film material could potentially cause the edges of the label to lift or pop-up. In a lot of cases, this concern can be alleviated by making sure that the surface area is totally clean before application - any dust, debris, or residue could potentially weaken the adhesive's bond. All of our label materials are pressure adhesive, so making sure that the labels are applied evenly with significant pressure will go a long ways towards a permanent bond as well.

If you decide to consider a different label material, the only product that we offer with a stronger adhesive is our Aggressive White Matte. This material isn't considered to be weatherproof or water-resistant on its own, but a clear-coat protective spray such as Krylon Preserve-It will help provide additional durability in contact with moisture. Krylon Preserve-It can be purchased from retailers such as Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

If you would like to try samples of the Aggressive White Matte material, or if you have questions about any of our other products, please feel free to contact our customer service department directly at 1-888-575-2235. One of our representatives will be more than happy to assist you!
#3 Posted : 2/2/2018 10:59:14 AM(EST)
garden center

United States

I would like to suggest a new product, a weatherproof label with aggressive adhesive. We have used your polyester weatherproof label for several years but do have trouble with the label coming off, even with firm pressure on application. We have to reprint labels often to replace them. Please take this into consideration.
#4 Posted : 2/3/2018 9:39:56 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: garden center Go to Quoted Post
I would like to suggest a new product, a weatherproof label with aggressive adhesive. We have used your polyester weatherproof label for several years but do have trouble with the label coming off, even with firm pressure on application. We have to reprint labels often to replace them. Please take this into consideration.

Thanks for the suggestion. We are focused on making continuous improvements to that product. The current adhesive is considered permanent. We do have interest in strengthening the adhesive to make it adhere better to wider variety of surfaces. Unfortunately, there is always a push and pull to any product change we try to make so we have to weigh the benefits vs. issues whenever we make changes.

What surface are you applying the label onto? Is the surface flat or curved? Tight radius or curved surfaces can be challenging to label. Are the products room temperature when you apply the label?

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#5 Posted : 7/18/2018 4:26:36 PM(EST)
Ptips

United States

We use clear aggressive labels on galvenized, aluminum and stainless steel. Will these adhere for outdoor applications? Do you carry a clear, weatherproof 5 x 3 with aggressive adhesive?
#6 Posted : 7/19/2018 9:11:12 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Ptips -

Our clear gloss for laser printers is considered to be a weatherproof material. The adhesive should be aggressive enough to hold up to the conditions you described, but we'd recommend testing samples before placing an order to ensure that the product is suitable for your specific application. You can view the product at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/Products/OL6675CL.htm

You can request free sample sheets at the following link:

https://www.onlinelabels.../SamplesSelectItems.aspx

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#7 Posted : 9/12/2018 2:24:26 PM(EST)
jwalker

United States

I also recently applied the laser polyester material on to a stainless container for wet applications. The sticker material is definitely durable and waterproof but the adhesive failed after only a couple of days of wet exposure. My work around was to spray the labels first with a general purpose waterproof adhesive. Its an extra step,but so far the labels are holding. Can't remember the adhesive's particulars right now, but could write again if you are interested.
#8 Posted : 9/13/2018 10:32:01 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: jwalker Go to Quoted Post
I also recently applied the laser polyester material on to a stainless container for wet applications. The sticker material is definitely durable and waterproof but the adhesive failed after only a couple of days of wet exposure. My work around was to spray the labels first with a general purpose waterproof adhesive. Its an extra step,but so far the labels are holding. Can't remember the adhesive's particulars right now, but could write again if you are interested.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to find a solution to the issue you ran into. If you could get back to us with the waterproof adhesive you used that would definitely be helpful. We would be interested in testing the adhesive and recommending it to other customers who are using our labels in potentially extreme conditions.
#9 Posted : 9/13/2018 11:03:52 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: jwalker Go to Quoted Post

I'd also be interested in hearing a little more about your application in an effort to understand why the adhesive is having trouble in the first place. The adhesive is graded for use in the auto-industry and designed for exposure to moisture and a wide range of temperatures, so it should hold up well in most applications. Any details you can provide about the nature of the application and how the moisture is being introduced and to what degree would allow us to take a closer look at why the problem may be occurring.

Thank you so much for any information you can provide.
#10 Posted : 3/27/2019 3:58:18 AM(EST)
simplepickle

Hong Kong

Sticker materials based on paper or cardstock for instance, are generally not waterproof, though they can be made water-resistant by adding a plastic laminate or similar water-impermeable coating. A UV coating on cardstock for example, adds water-resistance on the side it's applied.