Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 7/21/2016 8:59:41 PM(EST)
kvonb

United States

I recently applied the weatherproof labels to lip balms tubes. The label wraps all the way around the tube and sticks to itself. Some are sticking just fine. A lot are unsticking from the label and some are even lifting at both ends - from the label and lifting off the tube. I did make sure the tubes were very clean before applying the labels. It is a full color print on the labels. Prior batches were without a full color print and stuck just fine. The one potential issue I can think of: I made the mistake of using a laser printer (forgot these were inkjet!) Would this cause it to lift from the from the other end of the label and from the tube?? About half (of 160) are sticking just fine. A lot of pressure was applied to all of them. Why are they lifting and what can I do to fix?
#2 Posted : 7/22/2016 7:06:59 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
How much of the label is overlapping onto itself? Is there printing on the part that is overlapping?

Seeing as the issue wasn't happening before the labels were printed, I think it may be worth trying to remove the printing (assuming you have 100% print coverage on the labels) from the area where the label is over-wrapping. This may help since the label will be sticking to itself rather than the toner from the printer. Can you modify your artwork and try leaving the area where the label over-wraps onto itself blank and see if that helps improve the performance?

Also - Here is an article with some recommended tips on how to get lip balm labels to stick better to the surface of the lip balm containers.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/Articles/tips-to-applying-lip-balm-labels.htm

Please give a few of these recommendations a try and let me know if the results improve. If not, let me know and we can continue to work on a solution.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnllineLabels.com

Edited by user Friday, July 22, 2016 7:13:04 AM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#3 Posted : 7/22/2016 2:37:23 PM(EST)
Amanda

I have this problem sometimes and honestly I just add a tiny bit of superglue to the ends and a dot in the middle and it stays perfectly and doesn't seep through the label or anything.
#4 Posted : 7/3/2018 7:52:41 PM(EST)
tboersma

Canada

I have been having the same problem with the kraft lip balm labels. The end that overlaps continues to pop up. There is no printing where the label sticks to itself.
#5 Posted : 7/4/2018 8:08:24 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tboersma Go to Quoted Post
I have been having the same problem with the kraft lip balm labels. The end that overlaps continues to pop up. There is no printing where the label sticks to itself.

I am sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. I will assume that you have read through the recommendations in the article that I referenced in my prior post.

I see you have purchased the brown kraft labels from us on multiple occassions. We did some updates to our brown kraft material a few months ago and it has improved the performance of the adhesive on many surfaces. The newer variant of the product will likely resolve the sticking issue you are experiencing.

I see your most recent order (placed on 4/11/2018) for the 5" x 1" labels is on the newer variant of the product whereas the orders prior to that date are on the older variant of the product. I assume the sticking issue you are experiencing is related to product OL421BK (2.125" x 1.6875") which I show was on the older variant of the product.

I would be happy to get you some samples of the updated product so you can test the newer variant of the product to see if it resolves the issues. Assuming the samples resolve the issue, our customer service team would be happy to work with you to replace the product.

Let us know how you would like to proceed so I can enter a sample request for you.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#6 Posted : 2/4/2020 10:36:44 AM(EST)
handmadesoap4me

United States

Hi..I am having the same problem with the brown kraft lip balm label..edges are lifting off itself..there is no print on the overlap...I have wiped down each balm just in case and some stick some dont..drives me nuts...is it the plastic...but I have no problem with the white ws label..just bought these in november 2019 i believe..its just the lip balms tho so far...thanks bren
#7 Posted : 2/4/2020 2:18:15 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Originally Posted by: handmadesoap4me Go to Quoted Post
Hi..I am having the same problem with the brown kraft lip balm label..edges are lifting off itself..there is no print on the overlap...I have wiped down each balm just in case and some stick some dont..drives me nuts...is it the plastic...but I have no problem with the white ws label..just bought these in november 2019 i believe..its just the lip balms tho so far...thanks bren

I was able to locate your account and confirm that your most recent order did ship with the brown kraft material that features our updated, more aggressive adhesive. We made a change to the product a couple of years back to improve adhesive performance on smaller curved surfaces like lip balm tubes. I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing issues with some of the labels lifting at the edges once they're applied.

Labeling small curved containers can sometimes be challenging, especially with rigid-paper based labels like the brown kraft material. Since you're already wiping down the lip balm tubes, the best advice I can give that may resolve your issue is to be careful to apply the labels in a manner that doesn't introduce too much excess tension. Place the center of the label onto the tube first, and then use your thumps to apply pressure outward evenly until you have both edges laid down and applied to the tube. Applying the labels by placing one end down first and then wrapping the label around the tube until it overlaps has a much greater chance of introducing tension, which makes the labels more susceptible to lifting at the edges.

Properly applying the labels to the tubes can definitely have a positive impact on adhesion. I hope this helps. If you need any additional assistance please just let us know.
#8 Posted : 6/15/2020 1:11:27 PM(EST)
amandanielsen

United States

Hello!

I am having a similar issue with using the brown kraft labels with sprays (on 2oz PET cosmo rounds) and liquid soaps (on 8oz PET squat boston rounds). We wipe with alcohol, apply with clean hands, make sure the bottles are clean / dry, limit tension... but still the edges pop up. We have chosen sizes so that there is no overlap (we LOVE the size options on this site!). But the glue just isn't holding up with the edges. I hate to have to go back the previous kraft paper we were using. It stuck better, but we had to CUT our labels to size which really ate up time.
#9 Posted : 6/16/2020 10:36:47 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: amandanielsen Go to Quoted Post
Hello!

I am having a similar issue with using the brown kraft labels with sprays (on 2oz PET cosmo rounds) and liquid soaps (on 8oz PET squat boston rounds). We wipe with alcohol, apply with clean hands, make sure the bottles are clean / dry, limit tension... but still the edges pop up. We have chosen sizes so that there is no overlap (we LOVE the size options on this site!). But the glue just isn't holding up with the edges. I hate to have to go back the previous kraft paper we were using. It stuck better, but we had to CUT our labels to size which really ate up time.

We actually made an adjustment to our brown kraft material a couple of years back to increase the strength of the adhesive. I'm sorry to hear you're still having some trouble with adhesion to a couple of your bottle types.

If you're working with a clean, dry bottle the biggest factor relating to proper adhesion on a curved surface is tension. You mentioned limiting surface tension in your original post, so you may already be taking these steps, but when labeling a curved surface you should apply the very center of the label first and then press outwards both ways to distribute pressure evenly. This will ensure that the label is being applied with as little surface tension as possible and typically goes a long way toward reducing edge lift on labels that wrap around a curved surface.

If you're already applying your labels like this and still experiencing edge lift you may need to move to a different size label if you're bottle will allow for it. A larger label will provide more surface area for the adhesive and typically result in better adhesion. You mentioned that you were avoiding overlap on your wrap around labels, but moving to a full wrap my actually improve the adhesion as well. If you're going to overlap the edge of the labels, the key is to allow for enough length so that the overlap is at least a quarter of an inch. Anything shorter than that may result in some lifting, but if there's enough surface area on the overlap you should excellent adhesion.

We're happy to send samples if you'd like to try some different sizes on your bottles. You can request free sample sheets by visiting the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/General/SamplesSelectItems.aspx

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#10 Posted : 9/18/2020 12:05:53 PM(EST)
Mattb115

United States

What kind of plastic is it? Have you tried wiping them with alcohol beforehand?
#11 Posted : 11/13/2020 10:15:34 AM(EST)
msmarci7

United States

I'm having this same issue with OL5950WR on candle tins - they will not adhere at the ends. I have had to apply double-sided tape, but it leaves an ugly bump. I am not sure what the issue is, but I am not thrilled that I have to deliver these to my customer in a less-than-perfect finish.
#12 Posted : 11/13/2020 11:02:13 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: msmarci7 Go to Quoted Post
I'm having this same issue with OL5950WR on candle tins - they will not adhere at the ends. I have had to apply double-sided tape, but it leaves an ugly bump. I am not sure what the issue is, but I am not thrilled that I have to deliver these to my customer in a less-than-perfect finish.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced. I was able to locate your account in our system and noticed this was your first time purchasing the removable white matte label material. This material features a non-permanent adhesive that is typically meant for use on temporary applications where the label needs to be removed cleanly at some point. Removable adhesives can have difficulty properly adhering to curved surfaces, which may be the reason you're seeing the lifting at the edges.

We do offer a couple of materials that have very similar white matte finishes with permanent adhesives. Our standard white matte features an industry standard permanent adhesive, and our aggressive white matte features a higher tack adhesive that will adhere to most surfaces more aggressively. You can view more information about these materials at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/materials/white-matte-labels

https://www.onlinelabels.com/materials/aggressive-white-matte-labels

If you'd like to try samples of either material you can enter a request at the link below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/samples

If you're unable to use the remainder of the removable white matte products you can initiate a product review below:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/support/returns

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.