Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 11/1/2018 10:46:01 PM(EST)
mcheng

United States

Wondering if someone has experience printing off of a Brother hl-4150cdn laser printer with the OL9805LP weatherproof matte labels. I am printing off of an adobe illustrator file and have saved the image as high quality as possible with CMYK, and the settings on the printer is at the highest quality possible (2400 dpi), but the image still prints very pixelated and seems as if the image quality is at a low resolution. Colors are not crisp and clear either. My colors are very simple, grays and blacks with a little bit of colored font.

If anyone has any advice on settings, either from the printer side or the file side, please let me know.

Thanks!
#2 Posted : 11/2/2018 11:45:10 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about the issues that you've experienced and I'll be happy to offer any assistance that I can. It sounds like you're generating the image properly based on the information you've provided. There may be some printer settings that could potentially improve the print quality though.

I've used a couple similar Brother printer models for testing purposes. I've had the best results when loading the label sheets into the drawer tray and using the "Glossy Paper" material setting. In addition to the "Glossy Paper" material setting, Brother has a few additional settings tucked away that may improve print quality as well. The location of these settings can vary from printer to printer, but they're usually located in a tab titled "Advanced" and sometimes by clicking on a button titled "Other Print Options". I was able to locate the manual for your specific printer model online, and the settings you'll want to look for are listed below:

- Improve Gray Color
- Enhance Black Printing
- High Quality Image Printing
- Improve Toner Fixing
- Vivid Color Mode

Using any combination of these printer settings will likely slow the print speed down, but should result in higher quality images with better definition and crispness.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.
#3 Posted : 11/2/2018 3:22:26 PM(EST)
mcheng

United States

Thanks for the tips, I’ve tried all of those recommendations and it’s still very pixelated. Here’s an example image of the labels.
[img=http://imgur.com/KdfQbYN]Pixelated label printout[/img]
#4 Posted : 11/4/2018 11:31:41 AM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mcheng Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the tips, I’ve tried all of those recommendations and it’s still very pixelated. Here’s an example image of the labels.
[img=http://imgur.com/KdfQbYN]Pixelated label printout[/img]

Thanks for sending over the image. Josh should be able to look at your post tomorrow when he is back in the office. Are you noticing the pixelated images when you print the same file onto regular paper or is it only showing when you print on the label material?

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#5 Posted : 11/5/2018 10:03:50 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

mcheng -

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having issues. Have you had a chance to print the design on a plain piece of copy paper? I'm curious to see if the image looks the same when printed on plain copy paper as it does when printed on the label material.
#6 Posted : 11/5/2018 12:53:40 PM(EST)
mcheng

United States

Hi Josh,

Yes, it's about the same on plain paper, so it's probably some kind of setting on the printer or my file.
#7 Posted : 11/5/2018 1:30:08 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

I think we've touched on all of the printer settings that would likely have a noticeable effect on print quality. I'm going to have our print team lead reach out to you by email to see if he can offer any advice on settings related to the file. He's experienced in working with Adobe Illustrator files, so he should be able to assist in determining if there is an issue with the image.
#8 Posted : 5/19/2022 7:09:47 PM(EST)
Sharon Shapira

Israel

Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue with Brother Laser printer HL-L3210CW.
Strangely enough, letters I am writing with in the maestro program come out crisp clear and high res on the glossy transparent stickers, but ANY image I try to upload to the design appears to be high res in the program and even in the pdf file, but come out pixelated on the sticker when printed. Mind you the letters come out perfect on the same sticker, and the images come out pixelated. I am baffled and have no clue how to solve this issue... nowhere is there an answer to this.

Thank you in advance!
#9 Posted : 5/20/2022 9:13:42 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Originally Posted by: Sharon Shapira Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue with Brother Laser printer HL-L3210CW.
Strangely enough, letters I am writing with in the maestro program come out crisp clear and high res on the glossy transparent stickers, but ANY image I try to upload to the design appears to be high res in the program and even in the pdf file, but come out pixelated on the sticker when printed. Mind you the letters come out perfect on the same sticker, and the images come out pixelated. I am baffled and have no clue how to solve this issue... nowhere is there an answer to this.

Thank you in advance!

I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you're experiencing. I was able to locate your Maestro account and view the uploaded logo images. The image resolution for the logo files appears to be the issue. We recommend a resolution of 300 dpi or higher to ensure ideal clarity for printed images. Web-based images only need 72 dpi to 96 dpi to appear with good clarity on screen. If an image is below 300 dpi, it's very likely that you'll encounter a perfectly clear image on screen with some pixelation when attempting to print the same image.

We have an article on how to create print-ready label artwork:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/articles/print-ready-label-artwork

This article provides instructions on how to view an image's resolution. The image will need to be saved as a .jpg file to use the method outlined in the guide. I was able to save your .png logo files as .jpg image files in order to check the resolution and both the block logo and white transparent logo showed a resolution of 96 dpi. This is an ideal resolution for web-based applications but is likely to produce pixelation when printed, which would explain the differences you noticed between the image on screen compared to the image printed on your labels.

If you worked with a graphic artist to create your logo, they should be able to provide you with a print-ready image that is 300 dpi or higher. This will almost certainly resolve the issues that you're experiencing.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let us know.