Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 11/5/2018 7:36:40 PM(EST)
Studio213

United States

Hi,

I'm trying to use AvenirNext, which is a sans serif font installed on my computer. It is not a complicated font. The entire family displays in Maestro as the same generic SERIF font! This occurs in Firefox, Explorer, Chrome and even Acrobat. It's critical that I'm able to use this specific font to design my labels, as it is my brand font and none of the pre-installed fonts match it. Flash is running. What's the issue?
#2 Posted : 11/6/2018 1:46:08 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 45 post(s)
When Maestro Label Designer accesses the fonts from your system using Flash, there may be some fonts that don't display well in certain browsers. That may be the case with AvenirNext and the browsers that you are using. Unfortunately, there may not be an easy way resolve the issue.

I did some quick research on the AvenirNext font and I see that the font Lato (which is a built-in font in Maestro Label Designer) is very similar to AvenirNext. I recommend that you check out Lato and see if it will work for your needs.

If not, another option is to enter your text in a text editing program on your computer (like Microsoft Word) and then do a screen shot and upload the text as an image into Maestro Label Designer. This will obviously be more challenging than entering the text directly in Maestro Label Designer, but it may be a good work around.

If none of these recommendations are options, I can ask our team to do further research, but it may take a few days before I can get one of our developers to look into the issue. If you want us to do research, we will need additional information on your operating system & browser version? Let us know.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com

#3 Posted : 11/7/2018 4:52:56 PM(EST)
Studio213

United States

Lato isn't compact enough for my needs at all. It looks nothing like my logo. I also use the entire font family in my designs.

It's not just select browsers that it's not displaying in, it displays as SERIF (even in the drop down menu) on every browser I have installed. I even went so far as to create a PDF, open it in Acrobat and print a test sheet and the entire AvenirNext family looks like it's written in Times New Roman.

I use Maestro for product labels. I would need to screen shot at least three text items per label (including very small text that's easily distorted) and at this point, I have about 8 labels waiting to be designed because Maestro is supposed to support my installed fonts. It's exceedingly disappointing that my only solution is importing low quality screenshots into online design software that I'm basically paying for. It would almost be faster to outsource the work.

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Firefox Quantum 63.0.1
Chrome 70.0.3538.77
Explorer 11
#4 Posted : 11/8/2018 3:45:45 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

Originally Posted by: Studio213 Go to Quoted Post
Lato isn't compact enough for my needs at all. It looks nothing like my logo. I also use the entire font family in my designs.

It's not just select browsers that it's not displaying in, it displays as SERIF (even in the drop down menu) on every browser I have installed. I even went so far as to create a PDF, open it in Acrobat and print a test sheet and the entire AvenirNext family looks like it's written in Times New Roman.

I use Maestro for product labels. I would need to screen shot at least three text items per label (including very small text that's easily distorted) and at this point, I have about 8 labels waiting to be designed because Maestro is supposed to support my installed fonts. It's exceedingly disappointing that my only solution is importing low quality screenshots into online design software that I'm basically paying for. It would almost be faster to outsource the work.

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Firefox Quantum 63.0.1
Chrome 70.0.3538.77
Explorer 11

I'm sorry to hear that you don't think the Lato font is going to suit your needs. Unfortunately, when Maestro Label Designer is forced to depend on Flash Player for the fonts to display there can sometimes be issues which are un-resolvable on our end due to the fact that we don't have the fonts located on your system on our servers. The open source fonts built-into Maestro Label Designer are going to perform much more consistently. That is the disadvantage to a web-based software program like Maestro Label Designer vs. using Microsoft Word or a program located on your computer that is able to truly access the fonts on your computer system. I have asked our Maestro Label Designer technical team to do some research into the AvenirNext family of fonts to see if there is anything that can be done to make that font render properly or if they can figure out a combination of OS / browser configuration where they display correctly. I hope to have some more information soon.

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com
#5 Posted : 11/8/2018 7:38:10 PM(EST)
Dave Carmany

United States

I had our technical team look into the issue and they did some testing in a variety of browsers. The person who did some testing for me was able to get the AvenirNext font to work in Internet Explorer 11 running on Windows 10. Based on that, he was pretty confident that it should work on Internet Explorer 11 running on Windows 7 too. Can you give that a try?

The technical team also made some adjustments on our end that they believe may have gotten it work with in the newest version of Firefox. If it doesn't work in Internet Explorer, please try Firefox and see if it will work?

Thanks.

Dave C.
OnlineLabels.com