Join the conversation. Share tips and solutions with fellow Online Labels users.
Welcome to our forum! If you are an existing Online Labels user please Sign In. If you are a new user please Register.
#1 Posted : 2/19/2019 9:02:44 PM(EST)
Jshaw

United States

Hello, I've been trying to print planner stickers on my new HP Officejet Pro 8710 using the standard white matte sticker paper(Ol177wx) on my Mac but on "Normal" quality setting there is a horizontal line that goes through the top of the paper that darkens the colors. If I set the quality to "Best" the first few images turn out grainy while the rest of the sheet looks great. It works fine on normal paper but not the label paper.

I tried changing the printer settings but it doesn't seem to help. I don't know what's wrong since others have gotten it to work

Edited by user Tuesday, February 19, 2019 9:07:12 PM(EST)  | Reason: Not specified

#2 Posted : 2/20/2019 7:49:21 AM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jshaw Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I've been trying to print planner stickers on my new HP Officejet Pro 8710 using the standard white matte sticker paper(Ol177wx) on my Mac but on "Normal" quality setting there is a horizontal line that goes through the top of the paper that darkens the colors. If I set the quality to "Best" the first few images turn out grainy while the rest of the sheet looks great. It works fine on normal paper but not the label paper.

I tried changing the printer settings but it doesn't seem to help. I don't know what's wrong since others have gotten it to work

You mentioned adjusting the print quality setting, but have you tried adjusting the paper type setting? Changing the paper type from default or plain paper to a photo or glossy setting should improve the print quality overall. I would just make sure to adjust the print quality setting back to normal before changing the paper type setting. Using the best quality setting with a photo paper type setting could potentially result in over-saturation on this material type.

If you've tried adjusting the material type setting and are still experiencing issues you may want to run a cleaning cycle for the printhead on your printer. You can accomplish this by using the control panel on the printer itself. Touch the gear shaped setup button, then touch the "Printer Maintenance" button, and then select "Clean Printhead". This will ensure that the printhead is clean and dispersing ink evenly.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please just let me know.
#3 Posted : 2/20/2019 1:58:28 PM(EST)
Jshaw

United States

Thank you for the help! I changed it to the glossy setting and it fixed the grainy/line problems. But now the darker colors like black and brown turn out lighter and speckled with small white dots in them. I tried to increase the darkness of the photo but it didn't help. I also cleaned the printer head but didn't see a difference
#4 Posted : 2/20/2019 4:30:18 PM(EST)
Josh

United States

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 77 post(s)
Based on what you're describing it almost sounds as if the ink isn't saturated enough. In my previous post I mentioned adjusting the quality setting back to normal before printing with the glossy/photo setting to avoid over-saturation. Since the colors aren't appearing as dark/vivid as you'd like, try going back to the quality setting and adjusting it again to the highest option. This should ensure that the ink is properly saturated on the page and theoretically provide a darker and more vivid printed image.
#5 Posted : 7/2/2019 11:18:08 AM(EST)
Craftytattedmomma

United States

I have the same problem with my printer which is the same as yours. I found that printing from a pdf on max dpi has worked to fix the grainy lines. Hope this helps is some way.